Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Louder muffler (Read 277 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

Louder muffler
07/22/08 at 10:46:22

I have a dumb question!  

Is there anyway to make the stock muffler a little louder without changing it out with an aftermarket pipe?  I have heard of removing the baffles or drilling holes, just thought I would ask.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Louder muffler
Reply #1 - 07/22/08 at 10:49:46

take about a 14 inch drill bit and drill up in the hole at the end it makes it a little louder and more power

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/22/08 at 11:36:33

Some say the sound is crappy so do studdy the responses and search for old posts before you take action.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #3 - 07/22/08 at 12:44:15

Something about the Pfft, Pfft, Pffft out of the muffler doesn't do it for me either.  Grin I bought a Harley Dyna muffler off Ebay, actually got the complete exhaust system from engine to muffler. Both pipes, both mufflers, all heat sheilds, mounting brackets, etc.... for $12.50 Smiley Waiting for after my road test next week before I install it.

07 S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 07/22/08 at 13:16:21

Every one wants the s40 to sound like a v-twin,no way it can.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/22/08 at 13:19:50

I didnt want it to sound like a V twin. But, I sure didnt like it sounding like my Moms sewing machine, nor did I like the backfiring, so, I stuck a Supertrapp on it, with 14 disks. Now, it scoots along & I recently passed a Radar installation by the road & I saw my speedo is slower than the radar said, soo,, I think I actually made the Ton a few months back when I saw 94 on the dial... No way with the stock setup...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/22/08 at 13:20:37

"Every one wants the s40 to sound like a v-twin,no way it can."

No,dumba$$ it's that Harley mufflers are usually cheap,little louder,and a lot smaller than the stock muffler.And pretty much bolt right on.
Actually you can make it sound like a vtwin just put this in.

« Last Edit: 07/22/08 at 18:37:03 by Demin »  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 15:07:08

Demin wrote on 07/22/08 at 13:20:37:
No,dumba$$ it's that Harley mufflers are usually cheap,little louder,and a lot smaller than the stock muffler.And pretty much bolt right on.

Exactly. I would like mine to sound more like a motorcycle than my wifes 49cc scooter. The little Pfft, Pffft noise does not go with the bike. And if I wanted a V-twin, I would have bought a V-twin. The sound of a single with a muffler that actually lets the engine exhale is fine by me. Smiley

07 S40
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 07/22/08 at 17:21:54

mine sounds pretty good with the slash cut SE, it's probably too loud at WOT though. kinda sounds vtwinish at lower rpms, lugging it.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/22/08 at 18:30:07

Demin wrote on 07/22/08 at 13:20:37:

Can someone tell me what model Harley muffler works well with our bikes?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #10 - 07/22/08 at 18:31:47

The Dyna seems to work the best.The Softail,and Sp[orty mufflers have a hole you have to plug.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 07/22/08 at 18:37:15

To answer your original question, can the stock muffler be made louder... Yes it can.  I removed the back plate from the muffler, which is held on by four rivets.  Just drill those out.  Then pull that plate out.  It has a cage full of fiberglass attached to the back of it.  You may have to wiggle the plate up and down, side to side a little to get it to come out.

Once it is out, you can gradually make things louder by A.) Removing the fiber glass from the little cage.  B.)  Using a long bit extender and a drill bit to drill holes in the baffle up front.  C.) Drilling said holes and then leaving the back plate off entirely.

To reattach the plate, if so desired, you can drill appropriately sized holes where the rivets were and then use lag screws to fasten it in place.  I carried mine around with me for awhile, putting it in whenever I thought I might bother someone by being too noisy.  Then I figured "Joke 'em if they can't take a screw."  The plate and little cage thingy are sitting on a shelf in the shed getting rusty now.  

The bored out stock muffler doesn't sound as nifty as some of the after market ones out there, but I think it sounds a lot better than the tinny, quiet, unadulterated version I had before.  Then again, I'm not all that picky.  I've noticed no one wants to drive their car next to me in traffic anymore.  I like that.  

I posted pictures of some of this stuff awhile back in a thread entitled "This muffler is screwed!"  Can't remember how long ago that was, but a search should turn it up.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 07/22/08 at 18:46:45

Harley mufflers ..dyna,sportster,etc. differ by the mount, sportsers are tab mount, dyna's are rail mount, either will work, rail is easier.  Just don't get one with a crossover tube, you'll see it at the front, a 1"nipple.  Look on e-bay.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/22/08 at 18:54:06

Very informative!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin