Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
buncha questions after trip (Read 212 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

buncha questions after trip
07/21/08 at 07:16:39

1. Even when I allow my bike to warm up in the morn for a couple minutes, leaving the choke out half way, when I put the choke back in and leave it feels like I haven't really warmed up at all.  There's all kinda of surges and hesitations, feels like I'm running out of gas or something.

When I pull the choke back out halfway, the bike starts acting better (and the backfires even go away).  So does this mean that I need to do the fuel/air adjustment screw mod?  Is leaving the choke half pulled while a ride a sufficient temporary solution?  How much extra fuel does that allow to go through?  Will I see decreased mileage when I leave choke out or pull the screw out a turn or so?

2. My front brake squeaks when I'm very light on it (when I need to really brake, it's fine).  Looked at the pads, they're fine - could this just be the result of the brief dirt road I have to take from my house and the dewy grass?  They squeak all day long, so I didn't figure it was dew.

3. How often should I adjust the belt?  I just took the bike for a 500 mile round trip road trip, which was very fun.  But towards the end of the whole thing, the belt started squealing a little around 30-40.  Do I need to adjust it or just wait for some real squealing.

Overall thoughts on trip:
Wife said the pillion was too narrow and hurt her ass.
After 3 hours the vibrations started to get to me, so I may be looking for a gel seat to absorb some of that and some of her complaints.
Any suggestions on a cheap seat with a big passenger seat.

Around 50-60 vibrations aren't too bad, so I enjoyed turny roads much more than interstate (and I think I got better gas mileage off the interstate)

I made a luggage rack for about 15 bucks out of some corner braces from lowes screwed into the holes already in the sissy bar- it worked very well, supported at least 50 lbs the whole trip, and looks pretty good too, maybe I'll get some pictures after a while.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Re: buncha questions after trip
Reply #1 - 07/21/08 at 08:21:38

I was told that the OEM brake pads is what causes the squeal on the front, buying aftermarket pads should stop the noise.  I have an 08' and my brakes squeal also.  I'll have to invest in new brake pads soon.

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/21/08 at 08:29:20

I'm not sure it's too healthy running with the choke part way out. How does it get once it DOES warm up? Since it's been really warm out, I start the bike without the choke. It seems like it surges a bit like you're saying, but once I get around the block, it's usually running pretty good.

cruzr hit the nail with the OEM pads... They are the reason for the squeal. If you upgrade to some aftermarket pads, it'll stop that from happening (or as you found out, apply them a little harder)

As for the seat. My girlfriend said the same thing about the seat being pretty narrow. Is wasn't the pad that was hurting her butt though, it was the muscles she was making  by keeping her legs in and tight around me. I added the sissybar, which allows her to sit back a little more comfortably now and she can relax her legs a bit. Might be worth a shot for you too?

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/21/08 at 10:22:53

1.Yes, you are lean.
2. Try scuffing the rotor lightly with 200 grit sandpaper or 0000#steel wool.
3. Never, or when you replace the rear tire.

Padded bicycle shorts help on long rides, I have a homemade fake sheepskin cover on my seat, it helps more than you might think.  It also is cooler in summer and warmer in winter.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #4 - 07/21/08 at 11:13:11

2.  On my '06, the OEM pads squealed pretty much from day one.  I read this board for long enough to be expecting it, but it was still disconcerting.  The OEM pads went after 3380 miles, so I put a set of the EBC Organic pads on it after reading this http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1188427160/0

No squeal yet and the feel is much better but I've only added about 100 miles since Friday.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/21/08 at 11:19:48

sjaskow - FSO wrote on 07/21/08 at 11:13:11:
2.  The OEM pads went after 3380 miles, so I put a set of the EBC Organic pads on it after reading this [url]

No squeal yet and the feel is much better but I've only added about 100 miles since Friday.

This is good to know, I think i'll deal with the squeal till I hit 1000 miles, then I will go ahead and change the pads to the EBC brand.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 07/21/08 at 14:05:47

1: Normal.  The bike is jetted exceedingly lean from the factory.  Drill out the A/F mixture screw and then do the white spacer mod.  All very well documented in the Tech/Reference section.

2. Normal.  The stock brakes squeal like a stuck pig.  Either learn to live with it or put on a set of aftermarket.  The EBC reds are very quiet and stop quite well.

3. Normal.  The belt drifts from side to side on the pulley (depending on the lean angle on the rear wheel)  It is normal for an otherwise properly adjusted belt to make some noise after a long ride.  Push it around tomorrow after things cool off and you won't hear a thing.

General maintenance tip, the belt tension should be checked every 2000 miles.  Again, all the info you need is in the Tech/Reference section.

4. Seat comfort.  Good luck.  Even with a $400.00 custom fit gel seat, my butt would still smart after an hour or so.  You will have to do some fabrication to get an aftermarket one to fit.

5. Pillion seat comfort.  I told you so.  You can try this http://www.seatsaddle.com .  It helps, but not alot.  The pillion is too small, too narrow and the back rest is too short for long distance rider comfort.

There's no cheap answer for your complaints.  The spacer mod and the A/F mixture you can do.  Everything else is going to need alot of coin.

You should have gotten the other bike.  The Savage is the wrong bike for 2 up long distance riding....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 07/21/08 at 17:45:15

I agree with Skrapiron, for the most part.  You can modify your own seat inexpensively.  I'm quite comfortable on mine.  As for the pillion, I covered it with a trunk, told her there would be no more riding two-up, and bought her a bike of her own.  It worked out fine.  Granted, it cost me $2000, but it was worth every borrowed penny. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #8 - 07/22/08 at 07:37:19

You were warned - repeatedly - about that passenger seat. Don't be too surprised if your wife refuses to take another long trip on it.

When I did the "white spacer mod" to my '07, I started in stages. The white spacer holds the needle down against a spring in the slide. Removing it allows the needle to rise and enrichen the mixture. The spacer is approximately 3 4-40 washers thick. I removed the spacer and installed two 4-40 washers. My fuel mileage immediately dropped from mid-50s to high 40s, and the backfire didn't go away. The white spacer is reinstalled, and my mileage is back up. I saw no point in continuing.

Interestingly enough, my front brake doesn't squeal. But the rear one does. Since I usually use ear plugs when I ride, I didn't notice it until one time when I was riding a short distance at low speed and didn't bother with the ear plugs.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #9 - 07/22/08 at 08:01:17

I'll just quote what you wrote on June 30.

"I know a lot of people who have been telling me to go bigger displacement, and you're probably right.  I just know that at 40 mpg I wouldn't ever drive it.  I'd end up convincing myself to push the scooter once more, or I'd take the car and my mountain bikes for a longer excursion.  I feel like an uncomfortable highway trip is just gonna be better than one that's too expensive. "

You've learned the hard way that the cheap way is not always the best way.  We stressed the importance or rider comfort and you discounted it.  Now you're looking for a quick fix that doesn't exist.  You can do things to make the seat more tolerable, but you will not find any way to make it truly comfortable.

Sorry........

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/22/08 at 08:40:46

calm down scrapiron:
I know what I said and I am happy with the bike.  My wife still rides it with me every day and will ride another long trip.  I'm not looking for a lazy boy, I'm just looking to make it tolerable.  She had a broken tailbone before, and that link you gave me to seatsaddle is a perfect solution, puts some of the weight on the hips vs tailbone.  I'm going to try and make my own little seat saddle this weekend.  Most likely I'd have had to make a similar little seat modification no matter what bike I got in my price range.  We were way more happy getting back home to see my mom for $14 (rather than $32 in my car) than we were dissatisfied by the seats.

We are happy with what we bought the bike for - gas mileage, and we knew we were sacrificing comfort - now I'm just looking for a couple little solutions to make everything else we sacrificed as good as we can get it.

Thanks for seatsaddle.com, don't worry about the I told you so
everything is fine

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › buncha questions after trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.