Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Fabricating my saddle bag supports. :) (Read 290 times)
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Fabricating my saddle bag supports. :)
07/21/08 at 04:28:34

I finally got to tackle my my saddle bag supports. I used the thread in the tech section on making them. I bought some round and flat stock from Lowes, printed off the picture with measurements and got to work. One modification I wanted to make, was to allow them to be REMOVABLE. I don't need them everytime I go out, and do not care for the looks of them just hanging there not being used. First thing I did was look under the fender for mounting. My 2007 S40 does NOT have a rear mounting bolt on the side bars, there is simply a pin that is welded onto the stock side bar that goes through a hole with a grommet in the fender.

What to do? I got looking around and decided to use the mounting bolt towards the front to mount a small bracket that will stay on the bike. What to do about the rear? I made another small bracket that will mount using the same hole that the turn signal uses, which is mounted to the side bar. The screw is a bit too small, I'll have to find one a little longer.

I had some stainless bolts, picked up some wing nuts and lock washers.

First thing was to bend the round stock. One piece was just long enough with a little extra.

I welded 4 bolts, 2 to the rear mounting bracket on the bike, would have preferred on the support, the way I made it, there was a clearance issue. I don't want these to be very visible when the supports are off.  2 on the saddle bag support. I welded everything up, than painted them. Did a little 'tweaking' on them before paint. They are drying right now. I'll get some pics up later with them mounted on the bike. Not sure if I will get to them today or not.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Fabricating my saddle bag supports. :)
Reply #1 - 07/21/08 at 08:48:36

The saddlebag support locations and the OEM supports for a 2007 are quite different from the information given in the tech section. Those photos and measurements are for bikes pre 2005.

The mounting points designated by Suzuki for the 2007 are the mid point bolt behind the fender brace to the bottom bolt near the shock. The configuration of the supports themselves are considerable different.

« Last Edit: 07/21/08 at 11:39:25 by Mr. Hyde »  

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #2 - 07/21/08 at 10:52:30

Hyde got that correct.

My 07 uses the front and rear bolts on the rails...

I'll take a picture of my rails when I get home to give you an idea of how they look compared to the pre-05 models.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #3 - 07/21/08 at 12:54:39

Well, this is good to know now....  Grin Grin Grin

I may have to modifications.....  Lips Sealed Grin

Pics would be great. Thanks!!

07 S40
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #4 - 07/21/08 at 13:39:45

Just curious, whatever happened to the guy who was thinking of using file folder supports?

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 07/21/08 at 13:55:08

Discovered just this weekend that the bag support requirements for the S40 are different than the dimensions I originally posted up for the Savage brackets from several years ago ... made a set for my '03 and the original dimensions fit perfectly on that Bike ...
If anybody has an OEM set of "next generation" bag brackets, I'm sure your fellow LS650'ers would much appreciate some diagrams and dimensions for the S40 bag rails pic'd above!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 07/22/08 at 09:15:42

Perry - I'll try to document my supports today either over lunch or when I get off work.

Here's a shot I found on BikePics:

I'll get some actual shots of my bike along with some dimensions too.

edit - I see this pic was already posted above. Oops! :-P

edit 2 - It's my guess that the brackets from the Savage WOULD work on the S40. The sissybar and rails swap over, so why wouldn't these brackets swap too? The grommet in the fender can be removed. The bolt for the sissybar goes into there. I don't know how the original "non-sissybar" rails are for the Savage, but maybe a bolt went there too, which is how the got these original brackets to mount up.

At any rate... I'll get info up shortly. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/22/08 at 09:40:09

Hi,

it would be nice if somebody could post pictures how OEM sissy bar kit for S40 (after 05) and its mounting hardware look like, both package and mounted.

thks,

K

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #8 - 07/22/08 at 12:19:15

I'm pretty sure it's exactly the same as the Savage kit... There are a few pictures I found over on BikePics.com of an S40 with the sissybar.

The brackets look exactly the same... The only differences I can find are the pad, being covered with the new material on the front, and the emblem on the back of the bar being a "Boulevard" instead of "Suzuki"...

I'd like to order one of the new ones, if I could find someone that had a set in stock. But, I've come up empty handed in my searches.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #9 - 07/22/08 at 12:27:59

Here's an 05 with the sissybar. You can tell it's the S40 "model" by the covering on the front. It looks exactly like the brackets from the Savage.

Boulevard emblem on the rear, vs the Suzuki on the Savage models.

Here's an up-close look at the brackets from another S40 owner over on BikePics (big shot)

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
motokid
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/22/08 at 14:55:13

Great, thks a lot. What kind of muffler is that (on the black one)?

K

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #11 - 07/22/08 at 19:35:35

I checked his BikePics page some more, but it didn't list anything specific under those pics.

You can send him a message if you want: http://bikepics.com/members/necropsy/05boulevards40/

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #12 - 07/23/08 at 18:28:01

Alright... Sorry for the delay, just was busy yesterday and finally got around to getting these specs today while installing my Big Crank battery.

From the picture above, I'll try to give a basic idea of what's what...

The brackets come out from the fender 3", it's almost even with the rear springs.

These are all rough measurements, because I wasn't sure how to calculate in the bends. The front "bar" was 4.5", the bottom bar was 5.5" and the rear bar was 6". As stated, the front bar connects to the furthest forward bolt and the rear bar connects to the rear bolt of the S40 rails.

Hopefully that'll help. I know it's not the best, but it should give you a basic idea...

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #13 - 07/24/08 at 00:20:32

thanks Bandit ... gonna copy those dimensions down later ... the S40 bag brackets are shaped differently than the older Savage brackets ... the S40 ones are angled to follow the rear shocks 'cause the forward mounting points are further ahead than those for the Savage ... at least it seems that way to me! Smiley

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/24/08 at 04:18:17

I decided to stick the Givi soft bags that I had on the Guzzi Nevada on Bull ( the Boulevard). They fit under the rear lights & are up against the shocks. The left side is kept out of the belt by the recently reinstalled belt guard. The bag means the helmet lock is nonfunctional, so I removed it & bent a piece of 1/8th piano wire in a z to fit in the front hole the lock was mounted in, so as to not mess up any threads, & formed a loop & stuck it under the lower nut at the front of the fender brace. Other bags may not be so easy, but now I have what I need to haul enough stuff from the grocery store the guzzler can stay home. Compared to the bike, even the Civic at 30 MPG is a guzzler.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 07:26:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fabricating my saddle bag supports. :)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.