Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Sitting in nuetral at a stop (Read 545 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Sitting in nuetral at a stop
07/20/08 at 11:48:53

Folks -

Lots has been written about the wisdom of not being in nuetral at a stop, so you cvan make a quicker getaway if needed.  A story to bring home the point:

A few years ago my wife was in her car, stopped to make a left turn, yielding to on-coming traffic.  She was driving, our daughter was riding the the front pax seat, daughter's high school boyfriend was behind the driver in the rear seat.

While still stopped, my wife was checking her "six" as she does, and noticed a dump trunk barreling full speed up her tailpipe.

She slammed on the gas, got going about 15 mph before the impact - the dump trunk was going at least 55 mph.

Crash broke the car in half over the rear wheels, and the EMTs had to use the "jaws" to open the doors, and it blew out every window in the car.

The only injury was to the kid in the back - the EMT put a Bandaid over a superficial cut on his hand where a piece of flying glass made a tiny cut.

My wife's vigilance, and starting to move forward saved their bacon.  Remember, impact G forces increase at the square of the increase in impact velocity - anything you do to lessen the velocity of the impacting vehicle is a tremendous help.  Moving forward lessens the relative velocities, hence reduces impact forces.

You can't do much if you're sitting in neutral.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Sitting in nuetral at a stop
Reply #1 - 07/20/08 at 12:12:40

Yep,we STRESS/DRILL that in the msf classes. Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #2 - 07/20/08 at 14:18:57

Jerry,             Your wife made a very smart move.
I can verify the theory ,during my very short boxing career (in the army) getting hit on the chin was not nearly so bad if you were already moving away from it. Lips Sealed

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #3 - 07/20/08 at 14:34:13

I always stay in first, unless there is a line of cars behind me and I know the light will take a while.  
There was a video floating around of a guy at a light on his street bike and you could see him trying to get into first for about 3 seconds before the car plowed into him from behind.  Too bad instinct said to get moving vs. bailing out.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 07/20/08 at 14:42:39

on the older bikes, it was stressed that putting it in neutral would lengthen clutch life, not so much with todays oils. so keeping it in gear won't hurt the bike and may increase your chances of staying out of an accident. i keep mine in gear, pretty much at all stops, not too many lights where i live (lots of dumb drivers though)

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/20/08 at 15:48:02

the life taken by holding it in isn't the disks but the springs.  Springs will take a set, so the longer you hold them fully compressed the quicker they will creep towards that length.

WWW   IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - 07/21/08 at 05:36:53

I think some of the old adages about the wisdom of being in neutral comes from the days of older manual transmission cars.

I've always driven manual cars, and I remember 40+ years ago as a young driver being told by a race team mechanic that keeping the clutch depressed at stops was very wearing on the clutch throw out bearing, let alone your leg muscles on those old clutches that took a lot of force to depress.

That was probably true - but motorcycle clutches aren't built the same way as an older car's was.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #7 - 07/21/08 at 05:55:10

I always stay in first. Except for yesterday. At a light I thought I would try sitting there in N. Takes a few extra seconds to take off after the light turned green. Convinced me to always use 1st.

07 S40
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 07/21/08 at 07:28:41

I always stay in first, I've moved forward a couple of feet before when I thought the car behind me wasn't going to get stopped. I think it has saved me from getting bumped a couple of times. Plus who wants the extra hassle of switching to neutral and then back to first. If my arm is so tired that I can't hold the clutch in for a couple of minutes, it's time to get off for a stretch anyway.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/21/08 at 08:17:22

Great Point!  I try to always stay in 1st gear but sometimes without realizing I look down and i'm in neutral, not good but i'm trying to stop this bad habit.  This post just helped me in making sure I stay in 1st!  Thanks!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 07/21/08 at 10:27:11

I'm quilty of sitting in nuetral...lazy mostly...
gonna' try to break the habit, thanks.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Ian
YaBB Newbies

1995 LS650, 2008
FLHRC

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 07/21/08 at 10:33:45

also leave a car length in front of you and stop at an angle so you can lane-split to keep from being sandwiched.  a brake light modulator or flick your front brake lever a few times might help also.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/21/08 at 10:38:35

When I have oncoming that looks like a potential "Left Turn" on me, I flip the High Low switch a few times. At a stop, when I see someone coming up behind, I squeeze the brake lever a few times, but not at regular intervals. I sit in neutral once I see its safe. I have no probs making it go in gear. In an emergency, I wouldnt worry about grinding stuff, Id get it in & be Goooone.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 07/21/08 at 10:58:53

If your in gear at stop some one hits you from behind,It will knock you back which will pull the gas back and you lose grip on the clutch,and bike is gone you on the ground.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #14 - 07/21/08 at 11:48:18

bill67 wrote on 07/21/08 at 10:58:53:
  If your in gear at stop some one hits you from behind,It will knock you back which will pull the gas back and you lose grip on the clutch,and bike is gone you on the ground.

Bill,

Do you just like telling stories or did someone tell you this is what would happen?

It takes a lot more time for the engine to respond to a change in throttle than it does for a typical collision to occur. If anyone wants to see what will happen when you're stopped and let out the clutch with the engine at idle, pull up to a stop - your right hand is holding the brake lever remember - now "pop" the clutch and try to roll on the throttle. Try not to drop it when it goes bump and the engine dies. Let's all use Bill's savage to try this.  

If someone found themself lying on the ground after their MC was hit from behind, it was because the car knocked the MC out from under them, or they let go of the bars when stopped, not because they were knocked back, rolling on the throttle and the engine pulled the MC out from under them. You don't get knocked back in a collision unless you get hit from the front.

Bill,

Question #2 - have you ever tried to slide backwards off of a Savage? Especially one with the front brake applied and was hit from behind - causing the back end to come up? That bump up to the pillion is going to make it real tough.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:26:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sitting in nuetral at a stop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.