Send Topic Print
Timing Chain? (Read 87 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Timing Chain?
07/18/08 at 20:58:45

Does anyone have any step by step pictures or anything for checking and setting your timing chain not sure if i need to or not a local motorcycle shop told me to check that and i am not sure on the how to ?

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Timing Chain?
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 21:30:46

This covers the check...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029

what's your mileage?

WWW   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 21:35:01

my current mileage is 10,092

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 21:37:15

yep, good time to check.

measure how much the plunger sticks out of the housing, report and I'll tell you when to run for cover.   Grin

« Last Edit: 07/18/08 at 23:44:46 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 22:22:49

so in other words i should prolly wear my daughters batting helmet lol  Grin hopefully i can get around to it tomorrow if i can get the wife and kids out of the house and get some alone time with the bike . u think the timing could be part of my backlashing ?

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 23:44:20

No, but some shin gaurds if you go riding might help.  just kidding, all you need to do is keep a tight grip in case she tries to throw you over the bars.    Shocked

Sometimes you can reuse the gasket and sometimes not.  A fresh gasket less than a year old definitely, an old gasket I don't think so.

If the plunger has fallen out, you'd know it.  strange sounds would eminate from below.   Shocked  oops not those, the ones coming from the engine.  And unless someone has really screwed up by say leaving the plastic piece that locks the plunger in the housing, the chain will stay tight on the cogs until all adjustment is gone.  And the timing shouldn't float until it come undone.  While it's not unheard of a chain failing at your mileage, it's unlikely.  If you intend to do it tomorrow, and put it back together and ride the day after or so, I'd go get a gasket.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/19/08 at 13:44:46

I checked mine a few hundred miles before yours and was 21mm out. At 24mm it falls out. If the plunger is extended way out like mine was I would definetly contact Verslagen1 for one of his modded chain tensioners. Worth every penny. I changed mine out a couple months ago and am still singing his praises THATS how worth it it is. I've taken the side cover off to check fix and recheck so many freakin times its ridiculous. If you're very careful not to catch the gasket on anything when removing the side cover and its still in good shape you should be able to reuse it. Just make sure you tighten the cover back down to specs. If it's too loose or the gasket is leaking you'll see the smoke rising from leaking oil burning after a short ride.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:26:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing Chain?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.