Send Topic Print
Wheelie on a Savage?! (Read 490 times)
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Wheelie on a Savage?!
07/18/08 at 18:28:00

So I thought I would share this with you all. Yesterday morning I was running late for work. I pulled up to a red light and.. stopped. Waiting.. still waiting... GREEN! Got a handful of throttle, almost dumped the clutch and WOAH! What the heck! Did that front wheel just come up?! "Bounce" Yep, it did. I was amazed that this bike could do that! I'll be more careful next time but man... what a way to start the day, finding out a thumper could pull the front wheel up, even if only an inch or so. I am about 155lbs and 5'10". Also had a camelback on full of water. True amazement Grin

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Wheelie on a Savage?!
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 18:43:46

Oh it will pull more than an inch up. I've had mine up prolly around 5-6 inches before, about matched the stripe in my pants afterwards. I wasn't expecting it at all.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 19:12:46

Ah haha. That made my night! Good laugh. I may try it at a later date when the wifey isn't looking? sneeky sneeky Wink

Jardine slashcut - oldfeller filter - 52 pilot, 152 main - no spacer - ngk iridium plug - olive drab paint - no head covers - respect brotha! I'll eat you!
WWW   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 19:16:23

try it with her on the back. do you have a sissybar?

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 19:35:09

Savage_Amusement wrote on 07/18/08 at 18:43:46:
Oh it will pull more than an inch up. I've had mine up prolly around 5-6 inches before, about matched the stripe in my pants afterwards. I wasn't expecting it at all.

Did about 6 inches for the entire first gear.  So smooth and straight that I didn't realize it until I went to shift and it came down  Shocked  Shocked

Why was I doing that??.... well my two neighbors on their HD's were in from of me at a light, rev'ing and giving each other the knod.    Well..... what else should I do..... I was on a Savage  Grin ...  rev and follow..... closely....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 20:01:20

I bought my Savage in late fall, like early December. I was  riding it with thick winter gloves, and I raced thru 1st gear, released the throttle, pulled the clutch, shifted in to second   and release the clutch - all in one move, right?

The problem is that the thick winter gloves held the throttle wide open, and when I released the clutch lever, up she came - high, like a bronco. I thought I was gonna 12 it.

Then, after my heart stopped thumping at 1100 rpms, I pushed the rear pegs down and tried it again with my feet on the pass pegs - it will hold a wheel stand pretty well. It's not a sportbike, but it's light and powefull enough for clutch wheelies.  

BTW: Dont try this at home. Children should consult thier parents before attempting wheelstands. Never wheelie with a can of beer in your hand. Operating a motorcycle on one wheel is a misdemeanor in some states (including IL).  Wear eye protection. Side effects may include rash, swelling, joint pain, and burned out clutch discs.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #6 - 07/19/08 at 04:29:11

I can ride my bike with no handlebars, no handlebars, no handlebars.....

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/08 at 18:48:19

very cool to know our bike's can pop up and go!  I will have to try this sometime soon.

IP Logged
Brad_THMP3R

Fighting for Iraqs
Freedom

Hampton Roads, Va
Reply #8 - 07/19/08 at 18:50:24

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 07/18/08 at 19:16:23:
try it with her on the back. do you have a sissybar?

Yes I do, for now. I just may do that. Of course without her consent.... hold on woman!!! Grin
I can't ride my bike with no handle bars, no handle bars....

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/19/08 at 19:22:08

Well,...
now that that is settled,.. has anyone tried a stoppie?????

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #10 - 07/19/08 at 20:15:18

This just goes to show you that the most unexpected sources can yield value. My initial summation to myself of this thread was "Why????". However one phrase caught my eye: "I wasn't expecting it...".

It reminded me that I am taking my bike down from the high mountains to sea level for the first time, and I remember laying rubber across an intersection a time or two with cars under the same circumstance. I think that I will be extra careful on the throttle until I learn the sea level response.

Thank you all for the reminder.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/19/08 at 23:34:11

you can wheelie just about anything with more than 50ccs. When I was learning to ride on My 250 rebel I was stopped at a sign at the top of a hill...Too much throttle and a too quick release of the clutch launched me wheelieing(sic?) further up the hill. I was seriously probably doing 12in or more off the ground. I didnt touch the bike again until i took the MSF course it scared me so bad. As far as a stoppie goes...i get the feeling the brakes'd lock up before you could pull off a stoppie. Im no geometry teacher but it seems a stoppie on most cruisers is very well nigh impossible. Either way I dont want to experience one or the other if I can help it. I'm content simply going way too fast.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/20/08 at 00:05:40

I've made the front tire start to squall with no sign of any stoppie action.
I think the front end is set up wrong for it to be possible unless the front tire is changed out to some crazy , fat, ultra sticky compound, then, the steering will be impossible to hold straight & crash it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 07/20/08 at 00:05:47

I've made the front tire start to squall with no sign of any stoppie action.
I think the front end is set up wrong for it to be possible unless the front tire is changed out to some crazy , fat, ultra sticky compound, then, the steering will be impossible to hold straight & crash it out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #14 - 07/20/08 at 16:29:12

"Well,...
now that that is settled,.. has anyone tried a stoppie????? "

Maybe if you had a stainless braided steel brake line. The stock one wants to blow up like an inner tube when you squeeze it too much.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 05:12:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wheelie on a Savage?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.