Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
question: Reserve tank (Read 309 times)
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

question: Reserve tank
07/18/08 at 06:59:14

I apparently don't know how to use the reserve tank.  When I bought the motorcycle, and the guy was giving me motorcycle 101 (I'd never owned one) he said you could reach down and switch to reserve whilst riding.  I don't need to do that... but I can't even get the motorcycle to start when I switch to reserve.  Two times the bike has run outta gas on me and I've pulled over and switched to reserve and tried to start it and nothing.  Do you just have to sit there and keep trying to start it for awhile?  I wouldn't have thought so if you could switch it over whilst riding.

also, twice over the last week or two when I've shut bike off, I've smelled a kind of sweet smelling smokey something, smells familiar but can't put my finger on it. No visible smoke, just a pleasant smell, but does this smell indicate something wrong?  Or is my motorcycle just telling me it loves me.

2005 S40. Dyna muffler. 12.5 Prog Shocks. Socket risers.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: question: Reserve tank
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 07:07:47

Are you sure you weren't on PRI when you ran out of gas?
Common mistake.  People assume PRI means Primary, when it means Prime (as in to Prime a pump).
ON is normal - gets gas from top of tank
RES is reserve - gets gas from bottom of tank
PRI - gets gas from bottom of tank as well

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 07:11:44

yeah, I was running on "on" the whole time then ran outta gas, looked in the gas tank, saw a little in the bottom of the tank, switched to reserve, couldn't start.  Maybe I should've just tried to start it longer, but there was a gas station a block away so I just rolled it

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 07:14:52

If you run it out of gas and DON'T get it switched over to reserve before the engine stops, you may have to set it to prime for a few seconds, then go to reserve.  The long side of the petcock lever is your pointer, so when you are looking at the petcock, the setting you are on should be hard to read.  It will be covered by the lever.

Hmmm...  sweetish, smokey smell?  That could be the cause of your trouble understanding motorcycle 101.  Sluggo!  Where are you?  Can you come interpret for this gentleman? Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 07/18/08 at 07:15:39

If you have completely run out of gas in the carbs while riding, and then switch to reserve, you will need to have vacuum at the petc0ck to get the gas out of the tank. That's what the prime position is for. However, I don't remember on the Savage if the prime pickup is lower in the tank than the run pickup (like the reserve) or not. If not, you may have to tilt the MC to get the gas to run to the carbs.

Otherwise if your vacuum system is in good shape (no leaks - plenty of vacuum) and your battery is fully charged, you can probably just crank the engine and get some gas to the carb through the petc0ck on reserve that way.

Basically switching while you are still sputtering means you haven't run completely out of gas in the carbs and since the engine is still turning you still have vacuum.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/18/08 at 07:30:47

I believe the prime pick up is the same as reserve.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
j

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/18/08 at 07:32:44

can you run on reserve all the time instead of on "on" so that you're always drawing from the bottom of the tank and you're just using your whole tank instead of dividing it into two for use (ignoring the obvious danger here of getting stranded somewhere)

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 07/18/08 at 07:40:55

Yep.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #8 - 07/18/08 at 14:40:56

I run on prime all the time.  I keep track of how many miles I have ridden and at the 110 mark (100 for me cuz I have a bigger rear tire), I stop.  By that time I am just hitting the reserve part of the tank.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 07/18/08 at 15:07:30

are you real sure about the petcock lever ? - you put the long part on setting you want there's a cast in arrow on the tip

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #10 - 07/18/08 at 15:35:24

Whatever, sitting on the bike the lever goes forward for Reserve and back for Prime. Once you get tuned into the bike you will feel it stutter about 90 & 102 miles since the last fill up, and be able to shift to Reserve before you loose many MPH. If you left it on Reserve last time, you and pilot just before they crash will share that "O nuts" feeling. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 07/18/08 at 19:57:55

The way I remember where Reserve is when it starts to spit & sputter, arrow/lever pointing front, which is the way I want to go....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #12 - 07/18/08 at 20:12:55

This I know if the long part is down it is on run. Turn the long part towards the front wheel it is reserve. towards the back tire is prime. Now what ever makes you think I dont keep track of my miles.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 07/18/08 at 20:17:28

I only have one tank where is your reserve tank Wink

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper