Send Topic Print
HELP Air Mixture Screw (Read 78 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
HELP Air Mixture Screw
07/18/08 at 00:27:08

Hey guys i had my air mixture screw adjusted so far rich it almost fell out today on the way home from work i noticed my bike was running rough when i would stop and when i got home i noticed it was sticking out way too far and there was gas seeping from it . So my question is how do i reset my air mixture screw and get it adjusted right if i turn it clockwise all the way and start fresh about how many estimated turns ccw should i go ? i have a HD slash cut muffler on it and it still has the baffle in it but i did the white spacer mod i have noticed before if i go too lean it backfires when i shut it off and when i go too rich it sends a flame out the back and makes a poof . Any help would be appreciated i checked out the tech section and i couldn't find any info on basically how to completely reset and start fresh with the air mixture unless i overlooked it . :'(

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: HELP Air Mixture Screw
Reply #1 - 07/18/08 at 03:04:22

First, be sure you still have the tiny spring that goes in ahead of the screw since that is designed to keep the tension on the screw and keep it from backing out on you.
Next, screw the screw    Cheesy all the way in until it bottoms out ... BUT DO THIS GENTLY; just enough to be able to feel it touch the bottom.  If you crank it down like trying to tighten a bolt then the brass screw will be damaged and you will have to replace it.  It is not difficult, just turn the driver with your fingers instead of the whole hand.
Once it is bottomed out, turn it out (counter-clock-wise) 1.5 turns as a starting point and then go through the tuning procedure of finding the place where it runs the fastest (highest rpm).  When that spot is found, turning in or out from that position will cause the engine to decrease rpm.  You may have to to 1/8th to 1/4 turn each way in order to tell that the rpm is dropping.
IF during the process of turning the screw out you get to "3 turns out" and the rpm is still going up and there has been no point at which there was a rpm drop, then you need to go to the next larger size pilot jet.  If so, then after installing the larger pilot jet, start the process over with the new jet at the same 1.5 turns out.

NEVER GO BEYOND 3 TURNS OUT BECAUSE THE LITTLE SPRING IS ONLY MADE TO KEEP THE SCREW IN ITS' HOLE UP TO 3 TURNS, BEYOND THAT AND YOU ARE IN DANGER OF THE SCREW FALLING OUT.

I hope this is helpful

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 07/18/08 at 03:12:21

One additional thing; if you do not get the response from the carb with the pilot jet you have now and install the next larger one, but still are not able to find the spot where the rpm is maxed out going in or out from there produces lower rpm.... ie, the rpm just keeps going up and up or there is just no change at all not matter what you do, then you will need to pull the carb apart and clean EVERY LITTLE HOLE AND PASSAGEWAY IN THE THING, because it WILL RESPOND to jetting/tuning when it is working properly, and if not then it is clogged up.

IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #3 - 07/18/08 at 08:29:23

Thanks so much Lancer that was really helpful sorry i had to have you go through all that but i am still learning on the whole bike mechanics i have just now been riding for a year .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:31:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › HELP Air Mixture Screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.