Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just got a question..about seats (Read 578 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Re: Just got a question..about seats
Reply #15 - 07/16/08 at 06:10:28

Paladin. wrote on 07/13/08 at 12:04:27:
When I win the Lottery I'll head up into the hills to Ojai and visit http://billmayersaddles.com/smallwhitelogo.jpg to get a saddle built to fit perfectly.  About $600 -- but gets a Rave Review.

DO NOT DO THIS.  I had him make a seat for my Nomad.  It was marginally more comfortable than the stock seat.  I had him redo and it and it was just as bad.  Before I made the initial purchase I asked 'What if I don't like the seat?'  He answered that I could return it and get my money back.  After the second re-do I asked for my money back.  He said no and stopped answering my e-mails.  I sold the seat on ebay for half what I paid for it and got a Corbin and was perfectly happy with the Corbin.  This guy may know how to make BMW seats, but not cruiser seat.  IMO he is to be avoided.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #16 - 07/16/08 at 06:47:49

Just my 2 cents:

I thought alot about the Corbin seat also! But have never had the pleasure of sitting on one.

Only thing I read was that you either LOVE them or hate them.
(The ones who love them are truly lucky to find a perfect seat!)
The problem is,also ,with seats,no two butts are alike. Huh

I am inquisitiveand not shy,have talked to many riders of all kinds of bikes,and some have gone to huge /expensive lengths for a better bike seat....it just depends on your individual butt....and sometimes trial and error,hopefully without too much wasted money Sad

So,its not just us with Savages....seems to be most people who ride,(except maybe those with touring seats)!

(Keith,glad you got a seat you like!!!)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #17 - 07/16/08 at 07:38:32

Well, I am continuing to mull this over and I want to say "Thanks" to all who have commented.  

AS of right now, I am thinking.."Air Hawk"...but will have to wait for a while...untill them, I think I'll raise the front up again...maybe another inch.

That will make 2.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
daweise1

Old school, new
school, I cheated in
both.....

Pataskala (Cols.) Ohio
Reply #18 - 07/16/08 at 15:41:59

Ok, I know I'm the "new" guy, but I have ridden a Corbin seat on my BMW R1100S, and I would not trade it for the world...

I may just be stating something everyone clearly knows but I have read for hours here and no one has mentioned it really.... If a Sportster seat will work on a Savage, then shouldn't a Corbin Sportster seat mount up basically the same??????

Since I am going bobber more that anything else, I do not need to worry about everyone out bidding me, so I thought I would let you all know; there is like 5 Corbin Sportster seats on e-bay for $50 or less right now.....

Please, if I'm wrong in my assumptions, please let everyone know as I have NOT tried this myself Wink

Dyna SE II Black muffler, HD Touring tank(6gals), Pingel petcock, HD Heel rest, Custom handlebars(Rock Chops), Adjure Flamed Headlight with spotlights, HD Flamed Signals, Oldys Gangster Fenders, Paint
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #19 - 07/16/08 at 16:02:55

daweise1 wrote on 07/16/08 at 15:41:59:
Ok, I know I'm the "new" guy, but I have ridden a Corbin seat on my BMW R1100S, and I would not trade it for the world...

I may just be stating something everyone clearly knows but I have read for hours here and no one has mentioned it really.... If a Sportster seat will work on a Savage, then shouldn't a Corbin Sportster seat mount up basically the same??????
Since I am going bobber more that anything else, I do not need to worry about everyone out bidding me, so I thought I would let you all know; there is like 5 Corbin Sportster seats on e-bay for $50 or less right now.....

Please, if I'm wrong in my assumptions, please let everyone know as I have NOT tried this myself Wink

I've asked this question several times and never got a answer.
But,you would think so,right? Wink

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #20 - 07/16/08 at 16:23:27

Since I have absolutely NO experience with a Corbin seat....can you guys tell me what it is about them that is so good/comfortable?

I'm assuming that its the material they use,but....is it also shaped different? In some way?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 07/16/08 at 16:32:38

I don't know about Corbin seats but the wider the seat is usually more comfortable.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #22 - 07/16/08 at 16:40:59

bill67 wrote on 07/16/08 at 16:32:38:
  I don't know about Corbin seats but the wider the seat is usually more comfortable.

My thinking also!
But,the sportster seat is wider and it didnt seem alot better than the savage seat.
Well,probably the only thing more comfortable about it is the width! Wink

I went ahead and bought marine vinyl at the upholsery shop today(looks very nice) and some carpet padding(well the guy just gave that to me,wasnt that nice!)

So,I'm going to be trying to fix my seat in the next couple of days. Maybe it will be good! Going to try to make it a little wider also.

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #23 - 07/16/08 at 16:49:22

Let me know how you go.  I am SERIOUSLY thinking about doing something....anything....

"If it was a horse....we woulda shot it...."

Because I can!
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #24 - 07/16/08 at 19:16:36

before I bought my sporster seat, I tried to modify my stock 2005 seat by shaving off some foam from the "hump". Well, the sitting position was lower and that didn't feel too bad but i think I took too much foam off and was uncomfortable on my tailbone. Thats when i got the sporster seat which was an improvement over the stock seat but not alot better. I've been riding with the sporster seat for almost 2 years now and I can say that my butt is getting used to it. I went for a 3 hour ride yesterday without actually getting off the bike (stopped for gas but didn't get off). After about 2 hours it started to get uncomfortable but not too bad. When I first put the seat on, I couldn't go more than an hour without a fairly long break. So I guess I'm saying that you need to spend more time in the saddle. Just my opinion. Oh, and I've never stopped looking for a better seat, just haven't found the right one yet.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 07/16/08 at 19:24:16

Seats seem to break in and get better after a 1000 miles or so.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #26 - 07/17/08 at 11:02:41

I bought a corbin seat for my Shadow.  OH MY GOD!  Wow...actually comfortable on a motorcycle.

The seat is dished like a bowl so the pressure points are more spread out.  The foam is VERY firm.  The first time I sat on it I thought I had really made a mistake.  Did not feel "comfortable" at first.  But then after riding on it, I found myself not even noticing my behind.  Even after riding for 2 hours without dismounting I felt good.  Normally I can't even stand up straight.  But with the Corbin, I felt really good.  

The only bad thing is with the shape it's hard to get your feet on the ground.  It's not taller or wider, it's the bowl shape.  But that's the only con I have on it.

In time, I'm getting a Corbin for a Sportster to put on my Savage.  I've already modified the whole seat mount to accept any Sporster seat.  Right now I have a stock sporster and a modified sportster.  The modified is ok, but when I can...I'm getting a corbin.

(FYI...I've tried 4 seats on my Savage to no avail.  I've modified the stock seat and a sportster seat, with the sporster being the best.  The frame mods I've made lower the rear of the seat, raise the front, and move the seat back 2-3 inches.  Adding a Corbin would be icing!)

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #27 - 07/17/08 at 11:31:42

After all I've read on the internet and talking to people,it seems that the best thing is the "spooned" out/shape seat or "bowl" shaped.
Glad to know the corbin is like that!Thanks!!

So,I'm thinking I need to make mine:

1-Spoon shape
2-wider
3-maybe a little taller/height to get my knees even to or below my lap.

This seems to be the best changes so far.
Also the most comfortable seat I've ever sat on was made like this!

If it dosent turn out...I'm buying the Airhawk and forgetting it...LOL.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #28 - 07/17/08 at 11:50:56

Gary, glad to hear you like the Corbin.  I've had them on 3 bikes and have liked them all.  You are right about the dish shape.  My stock Sportster seat has a bit of the Corbin type dish to it and it does feel good where the dish is.  Problem is the dish is too small.  I wonder if the Corbin for Sportster has a bigger dished area.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #29 - 07/17/08 at 20:58:41

Keith_T wrote on 07/17/08 at 11:50:56:
Gary, glad to hear you like the Corbin.  I've had them on 3 bikes and have liked them all.  You are right about the dish shape.  My stock Sportster seat has a bit of the Corbin type dish to it and it does feel good where the dish is.  Problem is the dish is too small.  I wonder if the Corbin for Sportster has a bigger dished area.

From the pics I've seen it's looks as large as my Honda seat.  When I first sat on my corbin seat I thought that the dish was too small.  But after riding for awhile you'll notice that it's fits well.

The "Gunfighter and Lady" seat would probably be a good fit for the Savage, both in looks and size.  The tour or the solo would be good also.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 04:00:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got a question..about seats

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!