Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just got a question..about seats (Read 578 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Just got a question..about seats
07/13/08 at 07:36:25

Is a sportster seat much better than my stock 95 seat?...I am considering a change but don't have anything to compare it with.

Inquiring minds want to know.....

and so do I

Because I can!
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Just got a question..about seats
Reply #1 - 07/13/08 at 08:23:26

Yes, it is an improvement, but it is not much better......  

It is wider and it does sit you up higher.  But the foam is just as uncomfortble to sit on as the Savage seat.  (Here's a hint.  If it IS a comfortable seat, then why are SOOOO many used ones available on E-Bay?)

Alot of people bust on the Savage and the Savage seat because it's their first or only motorcycle.  Once they expereince a ride on another, you'll find that there is no such thing as a truly comfortable motorcycle seat.  They just vary from instantly butt-numbing to butt numbing after 200 miles....

The only thing I have found that actually helps is an air-hawk seat top cushion.  Put one of those on and you'll have no complaints....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/13/08 at 09:52:16

If you're looking for a miracle cure for $40, look elsewhere.
But I do like the look of it and I'm gonna mess with the foam soon.

WWW   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #3 - 07/13/08 at 10:05:43

nah not looking for a 40 buck cure-all.  I am wondering if a bigger bike...with a bigger seat is in the cards.  However...I just love my savage but I don't love the seat.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #4 - 07/13/08 at 10:44:58

Just my opinion but I think the comfort of the seat has alot to do with the size of the rider. I'm 5-6, 145 at my heaviest, and I loved the stock solo and 2 up sportster seats on my old sportster. I find both of them really comfortable. I find the OEM seat on my '07 S40 equally so  and a big improvement over the seat on my old '92 Savage. When I get a few bucks ahead I'm going to pick-up an S40 pillow gel seat because I think it looks cooler then stock.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 07/13/08 at 10:53:01

I switched from the 2001 two piece to a 2006 one piece.  The one piece has a little more room (maybe on inch).  but....  still not sure which is more comfortable

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/13/08 at 12:04:27

The Sportster saddle looks like it was made for the bike, and it is a bit better than stock, but not much.  Between the Sportster saddle and my 13" wide Springer I think the Springer is a hair more comfortable -- what say ye, Verslagen?  I know it's very close.
When I win the Lottery I'll head up into the hills to Ojai and visit to get a saddle built to fit perfectly.  About $600 -- but gets a Rave Review.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 07/13/08 at 13:37:32

Paladin. wrote on 07/13/08 at 12:04:27:
The Sportster saddle looks like it was made for the bike, and it is a bit better than stock, but not much.  Between the Sportster saddle and my 13" wide Springer I think the Springer is a hair more comfortable -- what say ye, Verslagen?  I know it's very close.

Hard to tell, I thinks it's a step up from the sportster, but can't tell if it all day comfortable or only an hour.  If I went to that one I'd have play with the mounting a bit as I didn't seem to find a spot like when you put 2 magnets together and N pole meets S.  But there wasn't a ridge that pounded on my tailbone and that's a definite plus.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #8 - 07/14/08 at 09:36:54

Toymaker wrote on 07/13/08 at 10:05:43:
nah not looking for a 40 buck cure-all.  I am wondering if a bigger bike...with a bigger seat is in the cards.  However...I just love my savage but I don't love the seat.

Got a bigger bike with a bigger seat.  Still sucks!  Bought a corbin seat (with a bigger price tag) for the bigger bike.  Now that's comfort!!!!

I have 2 Sporty seats for my Savage, one stock for "looks", one modified for comfort riding.  I ended up shaving back some of the foam on the sporty seat in tailbone area.  Gave me more room to move around (much better).  Still hard so I'm adding some foam to it.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 07/14/08 at 11:04:32

You can get touring sportster  seats from harley for $269, $199 if that would help any of you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starzuki
YaBB Newbies

Is today your day?

Reply #10 - 07/14/08 at 14:15:52

I'm currently running the savage gel two piece and just picked up a sportster seat as well. I thought the look of the sporty seat was indeed far better, but haven't tried the swap yet to see if there is much of a difference.

I'm 6'3" and tip scales at 180, so the gel seat has been nice. But frankly I haven't had much to compare it to when it comes to one or the other. If I swap out the sporty seat, I'll make sure to get back with everyone.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/14/08 at 14:27:06

The one piece seat does look a lot better than the two piece,to me anyway

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #12 - 07/14/08 at 14:40:46

Starzuki wrote on 07/14/08 at 14:15:52:
...I'm 6'3" and tip scales at 180....

Years back someone said that the Savage was a girl's bike -- I said no way and posted a picture of my 6'2" wife sitting rather cramped on my bike.  Recently mounted my Springer seat -- first go was 'WAY too high and back for me, but if you look at the picture in This Thread you'll see that Wendy looks a LOT more relaxed and comfortable.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #13 - 07/16/08 at 04:55:53

I don't think it's the seat.

I could be wrong... I've got nothing to base the above statement on save my limited experience in trying to get my '08 one piece seat comfortable, my reading of every post in this forum about seats on the Savage; and previous experience with a similar problem on a Honda VLX.

I think it's the height of the seat, as it effects the relationship of the hips to the knees.
I don't think that it is the only thing.
I do think it's the main thing.
I think that there are exceptions to everything. Wink

I'm no ergonomic expert, but in my opinion, if the knees are elevated above the hips, no amount of padding, gel, etc. is going to make a significant difference in comfort, until the height of the seat is such that the rider's hips are level with or higher than his knees.

I formed my opinion after some minor modification of my own seat (still a work in progress), and observing others trials and tribulations with this seat. It seemed there were two camps; A: those who had no problem with the stock seat ( a definate minority); and B: those who felt modification was in order. My observations of "A" were that, when the information was available, they seemed to be uniformly shorter on the inseam. This would by default suggest hips level with or above knees. When it came to "B", this camp split into those who used gel, pads, or combinations; those who used sprung solo seats, and those who used forward controls. There was some limited mixing of the three sub-categories, as well as some pitches for diffrent shocks (valid, but IMO a different part of the bike's problems). For the sake of simplicity and brevity (too late! Cheesy) humor me. Of these three subgroups, the greatest subjective feelings of increased comfort seemed to come from those who used forward controls, or sprung solo seats. When there were pics, I noticed that the hips were even with or above the knees.

Having tried gel and various pads on my own bike, in some cases with slight improvement, but nothing significant; I knew that there was no way to put enough padding on to significantly raise the seat height.
That is until Chicago_rider posted his seat mod featuring carpet padding with a slip over cover. This allowed his over 6 foot frame to slide back on the seat. In the pics, it's obvious his knees are below the level of his hips. Whether or not this is an acceptable mod asthetically is up to the individual rider. I say ride what you like and stuff the rest, but that's not the point.

I tried building up the seat using Sandy Koocanusa's suggestion of sleeping bag foam pads; but wasn't thrilled with the workmanship of my final outcome. (Thanks anyway Sandy!) My next idea is to see if I can work with the seatpan and elevate it with thicker supports where it contacts the frame. To see if I can get my hips level with my knees.

Maybe I'm on to something.
Maybe I'm nuts.
If I am, would somebody in an official capacity write that down? I need the time off work! Smiley

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #14 - 07/16/08 at 06:08:18

Yes,the knees higher than lap has been mentioned before!  Wink

Several times,and I still think that's the problem Cool

Friend's husband bought a Sportster 3 weeks ago,I saw it yesterday and sat on it.

He said"This seat has to go...I'm going to get a better seat for it."

and asked if I wanted his sportster seat when he got a new seat!

So,like some,I'm wondering....if its not comfortable to them,would it be for me Undecided

After sitting on it....it did seem a little better,not fantastic,but some wider!
I dont know yet,what the answer is,for sure,but I'm leaning toward the Air Hawk!

(or a slip on thing that some women use to make their butt look bigger/ extra padding in that area,although I'm big enough ,but may help... Shocked.)

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 04:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just got a question..about seats

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.