Send Topic Print
cleaning air filter (Read 134 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cleaning air filter
07/12/08 at 23:33:10

I really dont want to buy a new one and I've read Oldfellers post on a performance DIY filter. I like the stock filter. I just dont want to buy a new one. Any way to thoroughly clean it out without tearing it up in the process? Compressed air didnt work as well as I had hoped.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Re: cleaning air filter
Reply #1 - 07/13/08 at 00:23:49

Don't know of any, but I did find a replacement for $13.99 - $24.99 here http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/14/431/12452/21643/PITEM/HiFloFiltro-R...
and $57.95. here
http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Categories

Hope that helps.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/13/08 at 00:48:09

BurnPgh wrote on 07/12/08 at 23:33:10:
I really dont want to buy a new one and I've read Oldfellers post on a performance DIY filter. I like the stock filter. I just dont want to buy a new one. Any way to thoroughly clean it out without tearing it up in the process? Compressed air didnt work as well as I had hoped.

No, because the filter clogs with more than dust.  Petroleum based dirt fumes from exhaust systems and various air pollutants are sucked into and saturate the filter element.  Even using the correct solvents to remove this dirt, would not guarantee that you got it all out, to say nothing of the damage the solvents might do to the element.  This is why washable elements like K&N tell you to use their water soluble filter oil.  If the element is correctly coated with their oil, the dirt will stay on it and not be absorbed by the filter's element.  Then you can wash both the dirt and filter oil out with soap and water

IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #3 - 07/13/08 at 10:37:33

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/13/08 at 11:04:09

KWKaletta wrote on 07/13/08 at 10:37:33:

Absolutely not, as I am willing to bet it is the EXACT same thing as this:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1183640744

You wanna pay KwikBay $10 (+shipping) for a single element, or do you want to go buy the pieces and do your own?

Your choice.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/13/08 at 11:11:08

well crap.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 07/13/08 at 15:35:03

I went with the DIY method.  It seems to be working quite well.  I figure a guy who's only three feet tall, has hairy pointy ears, and plays with a light saber wouldn't lie to me.  Of course, he claims some guy named "Yoda" came up with the idea, and I don't know him...  Huh

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Onetogo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, Texas
Reply #7 - 07/14/08 at 06:12:06

I started rebuilding my air cleaner awhile back but got side tracked with other mods. One thing different I'm trying is using wire mesh with 1/4" holes to form an outside ... polyester Nu-foam holder downer cover thing. Something I can snap or screw down with one or two screws.  Wink

Excellent 6 month report!  Cheesy

Does the case breather mod, with the wee K&N look-alike filter, eliminate accumulation of oil in the air breather box? I never thought about unplugging the tube and draining anything. With typical shortsightedness I always have wondered how anybody expected anything to drain out of a drain tube with a plug in it. A plug that is held in place with a clip no less!  Huh

Here's your brain. Here's your brain not thinking. Sheesh.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:27:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cleaning air filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.