Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dent Removal Trick Question and other Newbie q's.. (Read 135 times)
Squid Boy
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

The Trashiest Squid
Since 1993

Dent Removal Trick Question and other Newbie q's..
07/12/08 at 06:19:17

Hey gang,

Brand new 2006 S40 owner here (and a new bike rider as well).  Bought it three weeks ago and it had only 1289 miles.  I read up on this bike and saw that it was the best one for starter bikes, and I'm glad I bought it.  This site is a great resource as well, another reason why I settled on this bike.  Thanks to all who make this site possible.

Now my questions.   I saw the dent trick in the tech section and I wanted to try it on the dent on the right side of my tank (previous owner let it tip over).  Do I need to use as much gas as possible before trying this or does it even matter?  The article didn't mention this.

Also, I'm 5'10" and 210 lbs.  Haven't taken the bike out on the superslab yet but will have to when I start riding to work after the MSF class.  How does this bike handle at highway speeds (65-75) with someone of my size and weight?  I'm looking for things like acceleration, stability, and the ability to maintain these speeds because south Texas drivers tend not to respect bikers on highways a whole lot.  Might be a little late to ask this since I've already invested in this bike, but was just curious.  Thanks in advance. Cool

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Dent Removal Trick Question and other Newbie q
Reply #1 - 07/12/08 at 06:29:26

I'm 5' 9", and weighed 220 when I got my S40. Weight really isn't very important unless you are looking at serious hill climbing. I mounted a Plexifairing 3 (since removed and put on my wife's bike). Took a trip westbound on I-80. Running 70-75 it got about 39 mpg, but didn't seem to have any problems with stability or control. Lower speeds give better fuel mileage. Highest speed I ever saw pushing the windshield was just over 80 mph. Haven't tried it since I took the shield off. I believe the unmodified S40/Savage to be capable of 80-85 mph top speed.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/12/08 at 22:18:35

Squid Boy,

Can't help you with the dent question. Sorry.
As for the performance question, I'm 5'11", 265lbs (unfortunately). I've run my unmod'd '08 S40 up to 86mph before my pucker factor kicked in, and had throttle to spare. I've passed motorists at 70mph plus, uphill in 5th gear, and can easliy hang with the big boys, be they on bikes, in cars, trucks, or semi's. The only thing that'll suffer is your mpg at speeds over 65mph, and even then it won't be by much. Most of my riding is superslab in DFW. The bike will do fine. As I've grown more accustomed to the bike, and more comfortable asserting my lane space rights on it, I find I can run at speeds I'm more comfortable with, and not get disrespected by everyone on the freeway. Some, but not everyone. Enjoy the bike.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/12/08 at 22:51:51

Squid Boy wrote on 07/12/08 at 06:19:17:
How does this bike handle at highway speeds (65-75) with someone of my size and weight?  I'm looking for things like acceleration, stability, and the ability to maintain these speeds because south Texas drivers tend not to respect bikers on highways a whole lot.  

6' 230 or so, 65 to 75 is just fine, I do it a half hour at a time.  It will kind of lurch over divisions in the road.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/12/08 at 23:04:04

You'll feel bumps but you wont be tossed off the bike by any stretch of the imagination. For big ones lift your weight up on the foot pegs a bit or the jarring may be less than comfortable. This will run 70mph all day without even trying. Never got the bawls to push it past 85 but Im CERTAIN it will hit the indicated 100mph. probably more if you really push it but at that point you're wearing your engine out quickly. It is an acceleration beast. Stability wise...actually as far as all your Q's go (minus the dent issue) you have nothing to worry about. In my opinion this bike is the best bang for the buck otherwise i wouldnt be riding it. May I just say...dont hit the slab until you're comfortable doing so. Semi's passing you and strong crosswinds caught me off gaurd when I started riding. You'll get used to it quickly but its something you should ease into.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 07/13/08 at 00:51:21

I can cruise 2 up down the slab at 70. Keep in mind I alone am 6'2" 275. Can't tell you how much the wife weighs as I would like to live to see tomorrow.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
wrenchbender

wild side of the Great Lk
Reply #6 - 07/13/08 at 13:24:44

If you are referring to the Dry Ice method, my best guess is the less fuel in the tank the better as the fuel would likely act as a heat sink.

I too like many of us purchased a slightly used bike with the tip over dent this spring and was gonna try the ice method, untill realizing how far I had to drive to find a seller of carbonic. Instead purchasing a Fix O Dent from a major retailer for under $20 and found it worked much better than I had expected for something that had at one time been hawked on late nite TV.  

Just another option....and believe you me with all the dents in the wife's car I've gotton more than $20 worth of use from it.  

IP Logged
Squid Boy
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

The Trashiest Squid
Since 1993

Reply #7 - 07/15/08 at 17:22:14

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  I forgot all about trying to use a commercial "fix-o-dent" thing to try and remove the dent on my tank.  And as far as riding the slab, I fully intend to heed the advice given to me as far as not biting off more than my novice riding skill will allow.  I'm amazed that the Boss even allowed me to buy a bike (she told me she would never allow this as recently as late last year), so I don't want to give her an excuse to say no again because of a wreck caused by my stupidity.   Meanwhile, I'm impatiently waiting to get to class so I can finally start riding for real! Grin

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #8 - 07/15/08 at 18:17:37

I commute on mine 35+ miles each way.  I travel 65-70 most of the time and LOVE it.  I have learned to watch for oncomming trucks...they can really blast you with air...but I just watch and then brace myself...and then it's over.

Ride Safe

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 07/15/08 at 19:07:42

I think following a cement truck is the worst.  Something about their shape makes it like riding a maraca.  Up, down, side to side, rat-a-tat-tat.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dent Removal Trick Question and other Newbie q's..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.