Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Hardcase & Bags (Update) (Read 451 times)
Bear_Rider

New Hardcase & Bags (Update)
07/08/08 at 15:48:55

I just finished the major part of my new rack and got the top case mounted. I thought that I'd take some pictures before mounting the side cases so that the details can be seen.

I'm happy with the job thus far, especially considering that it was done with only a drill, a hacksaw, a vise, a hammer, and a can of spray paint. It's not QUITE plumb and true, but it's close enough.

Views from front and rear quarters:

The underpinnings:

The case holds all my gear -- helmet, gloves, jacket, and pants while I'm shopping. When I come out, it will hold my groceries/purchases. No excuse not to have ATGATT. It will also haul my computer and all my camera gear when I'm working, or a whole lot of camping gear.

I'll post more pictures when I'm finished.

« Last Edit: 02/05/09 at 22:23:06 by Bear_Rider »  
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Re: New Hardcase & Bags
Reply #1 - 07/08/08 at 16:30:51

This is quality construction.  Zoom in on the framework and you can see attention to detail, with very sturdy design using an X'd frame and good sized bolts.  And the Savage wasn't butchered to do this. Step by step instructions should go into the Tech Section.  This design is strong and practical, and I myself would like to build one and store it, for the day I might go on a long trip.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #2 - 07/08/08 at 16:35:15

Yes, this definitely looks like a great idea for extra long runs. Please post step by step in tech/ref section.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/08/08 at 17:44:40

Wow.....  Thanks !!!!  I just remembered I have a Pelican case in the basement.    

Hmmmm.... mount my AUX brake light  with hook up to the connector used for my Lapa-top backpack and I'll be good to go.  Looks like AUto-Zone is going to get more of my money.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 07/08/08 at 21:28:52

As a bagger driver, I really like it. Way to go. Max

« Last Edit: 07/11/08 at 21:45:47 by Max_Morley »  

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #5 - 07/11/08 at 21:43:51

Arthur wrote on 07/08/08 at 16:30:51:
This is quality construction.  Zoom in on the framework and you can see attention to detail, with very sturdy design using an X'd frame and good sized bolts.  And the Savage wasn't butchered to do this. Step by step instructions should go into the Tech Section.  This design is strong and practical, and I myself would like to build one and store it, for the day I might go on a long trip.

The technical section will have to wait until this winter when I rebuild this thing. Everything on this version was bent into shape with a hammer and vise, then cut to fit, with a tape measure, a carpenters square, and a good bit of the old Mk I eyeball. I'll disassemble it this winter, make some engineering drawings and have the parts made by someone with the proper tools to make the bends square and all matching, and I will incorparate a few things that I already wish that I'd done.

My big hope this winter is to make the case easy to take on and off using an adaptation of a system worked out by another biker on one of the adventure forums.

I got the new turn signals mounted this morning, and hope to get the side cases on this weekend. If so, I'll have another set of pictures next week.

So far, the most traumatic part has been drilling the first hole in that rather expensive case. Each of the next two only cost half as much. Hopefully, it will less than half as traumatic.  Grin

IP Logged
sockmonkeygirl
Serious Thumper

37 Stitches

W.Mass
Reply #6 - 07/12/08 at 06:10:48

I agree with the others, Bear.  Great job!!

Would be an awesome set up for driving to work.  The box looks kinda like a DeWalt box to me (same colors as their tools)  Smiley

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #7 - 07/15/08 at 13:21:10

I finally got the two side cases mounted. I used Pelican 1500 cases. I probably could have gotten away with using the slightly larger 1550 cases.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: New Hardcase & Bags (Finished)
Reply #8 - 07/15/08 at 13:59:44

as a bobber fan i must cry  sacrelege  (sp)  

but then again that top one is big enough to carry my mil.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/15/08 at 15:03:40

You've got to admit, with this set-up you could tour for many days, stopping only for gas.  There is enough room for a tent, sleeping bag, supplies and even a gas can.  How about step by step instructions placed in the Tech Section?  I'd build this 'just in case', and store it in the garage.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #10 - 07/15/08 at 17:25:01

The tech section will have to wait until this winter when I refurbish this thing. As it stands now, each piece was hand-bent, then cut to fit. Disassembling it is a piece-by piece operation and would require hours to piece back together.

I intend to use this as a prototype, make drawing with real dimensions, and have the pieces created by a shop with the proper equipment to produce accurate bends. Several of the dimension need adjustment. For instance, I had to shim the left side case out 1/4 inch to clear the shock.

I'm also a little concerned about the thicknesses of a couple of components. By this winter I will know if they will need to be made stouter.

IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #11 - 08/07/08 at 18:25:14

I just got back from my 1200 round trip. The rack and cases handled the rather large load very well, but had a tendency to shimmy left and right when I hit a bump.

When I rework the rack this winter, I will have to work in some cross bracing to handle this. I was never too concerned about the wobble, because most of the time I was leaning back against the case and my body served as a damper. However, I suspect that the fasteners will all loosen up over the long term.

IP Logged
Spiff
2005 No Login

Your favorite band
sucks!

In the Spiff Bunker
Re: New Hardcase & Bags (Update)
Reply #12 - 08/07/08 at 19:17:16

Wow.

And I thought strapping two soft-sided coolers over my pillion was clever.

You, sir, are a genius ... maybe even a Mad Genius! (And I mean that as a compliment.)

"Ridicule is the only weapon that can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them."
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/07/08 at 19:55:19

here's something to add to the stack...

Kolpin 1.5 gallon gas cans

WWW   IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #14 - 08/07/08 at 23:05:52

With all that weight in the rear, I'm amazed you weren't pulling wheelies out of every stop Grin

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:17:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Hardcase & Bags (Update)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.