Send Topic Print
cable routing (Read 144 times)
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

cable routing
08/06/08 at 19:32:06

Hey some of you guys who have installed taller bars, I need some ideas. I just traded my drag bars and risers for the stock buckhorn bars, and apparently they used a different clutch cable on the two because my clutch cable is too short. So far I've tried routing it up right in front of the gas tank and under the bars between the risers but that puts too much of a kink in the cable. So I guess I'll just run it out from under the tank and straight up to the bars but I don't really like that. There's no extra slack anywhere in the cable. Anyone got any ideas besides buying the longer cable?

Thanks,
Mike

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: cable routing
Reply #1 - 08/06/08 at 19:56:14

You will probably have to buy the longer cable. Remember there has to be enough slack for the forks to turn from lock to lock, too.

Is your brake hose long enough? And throttle cable?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/06/08 at 22:05:34

Brake line is ok, it has a little extra and it's all on the fork, doesn't need to allow for movement. Throttle cable doesn't have any excess but it's ok, not stretched at all thru the full swing of the front end. Even the cluth cable didn't restrict the swing of the front forks but it was stretched really tight.

IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/07/08 at 06:48:44

I also wondering abt this.Where can I get the extension cables at?

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 08/07/08 at 10:05:56

I doubt there is such a thing as a cable extension. I think the easiest way is to go to your friendly local Suzuki dealer and order the cable that fits the model year with the buckhorn bars. Think of it as buying a spare cable (the old one which you keep) in case of need.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
ed daugherty

"Leave the gun.
 Take the
cannoli."

Dallas, TX
Reply #5 - 08/07/08 at 11:29:31

I have an 03 whith the buckhorn bars on it and it is the stock cables. otherwise you have to go to a custom shop and get custom cables.  they can use the one you have now to do it but i wouldent use it.  here are some part numbers that may help.  

CABLE ASSY, CLUTCH
58200-24B12

CABLE ASSY, THROTTLE
58300-24B20

I got them from http://www.suzukiofoakland.com
again it's for an 03 but the savage has not canged that much over the years.  what year do you have with the dragbars?  that's the kind i want ....the grass is always greener right.  they are comfortable but i am going with a bobber look so it's better with either ape hangers or drag.

IP Logged
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/07/08 at 13:33:11

Mine's an '05. It came with drag bars. I can't see any way that the same cable would work with the buckhorns unless I reroute it so it doesn't go through the front end at all. Were the drag bars an option or were some years drag bars and some years buckhorns, does anyone know?

IP Logged
Mike from Pittsburgh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/07/08 at 15:12:30

Well I talked to my local dealer (the good one), and he looked up an '03 and an '05. '03 had buckhorn bars and '05 had drags, and the clutch cables are not the same. So I guess I need to buy an '03 clutch cable.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #8 - 08/07/08 at 19:53:52

I have an 06 with buckhorns. When it took the slide down the road I ordered the cable from the 03 and it was perfect. I think it was like 12 bucks.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 08/08/08 at 09:44:48

The clutch cable for a Honda CB550 works perfectly as well and is just tad bit longer. And you probably won't have to order it, just pick it up and the Honda shop.

When my original clutch cable broke, the local Suzuki stealership was closed but the Honda stealership was still open so I brought my old cable in and had them match it up. A CB550 cable was found and works perfectly, no mods, no mess just a tad bit longer which works perfectly with mini apes.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/08/08 at 09:50:51

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 08/08/08 at 09:44:48:
The clutch cable for a Honda CB550 works perfectly as well and is just tad bit longer. And you probably won't have to order it, just pick it up and the Honda shop.

When my original clutch cable broke, the local Suzuki stealership was closed but the Honda stealership was still open so I brought my old cable in and had them match it up. A CB550 cable was found and works perfectly, no mods, no mess just a tad bit longer which works perfectly with mini apes.

How much longer is it?
Will 16" ape hanger fit?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #11 - 08/08/08 at 09:54:17

On my '87,I had 14"apes.I had to replace everything.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #12 - 08/08/08 at 10:00:45

blacksheep23 wrote on 08/08/08 at 09:50:51:
Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 08/08/08 at 09:44:48:

How much longer is it?
Will 16" ape hanger fit?

I would estimate that the CB550 cable is only about 1/2 inch to an inch longer. 16in apes may be pushing it. or pulling it as the case may be.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/08/08 at 19:01:06

Demin wrote on 08/08/08 at 09:54:17:
On my '87,I had 14"apes.I had to replace everything.

WHere do you get the parts from?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:24:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › cable routing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.