Turn signal buzzer? (Read 75 times)
Royal
YaBB Newbies

Ride like the Devil,
he's gaining on you.

Kansas and Texas
Turn signal buzzer?
07/06/08 at 08:58:18

I really want to install a turn signal buzzer on my S40 but a search here didn't turn up anything. Surely some of you have installed a buzzer to alert you your turnsignal(s)are flashing Where did you splice in at and where did you put the buzzer?

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Turn signal buzzer?
Reply #1 - 07/06/08 at 09:13:09

Mine is  stuck to the tripple tree. To get it there I had to remove the tank and run about a tank and a half  length of bell wire(x 3) up to the head tube.

I tried mounting it to the rear fender, but I could only hear it when standing still - useless as it only helps if it reminds me if the blinkers are engaged while in traffic.

I've read that after a month or two I can disable it, as it would have trained me to disengage the blinkers "automatically".

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #2 - 07/06/08 at 10:03:20

My riding partner (my 74 year old cousin Ron) continually chastises me (I'm 67) for not turning off my turn signals. When I finally decided I'd had enough, I purchased a pair of M-80/M-100 Series 103 db buzzers  (Miniature Piezo Alarms) for $8.21 each from Floyd Bell Inc.  Here is a link to Floyd's WEB site:

http://www.floydbell.com/products/m80.php

Here is what the Buzzers look like.

http://model-t-man.org/Savage/buzzer.JPG

The installation is rather simple. After removing the seat look for the two pairs of Turn Signal wires.  The Green wire with its friend the Black wire with the White trace.

http://model-t-man.org/Savage/Turn%20Signal%20Wires.JPG

When you find the Turn Signal wires, cut one pair, and strip the ends.  Twist the two cut Green wires to the Red wire from the buzzer, solder and tape.  Next, twist the two cut Black wires with the White trace wires to the Black wire from the buzzer, solder and tape. Now do the same thing to the second pair of Turn Signal wires.

http://model-t-man.org/Savage/Solder%20and%20Tape.JPG

Now secure the buzzers to something so they don't bounce around and replace the seat.  I just taped them to some of the wire bundles.

http://model-t-man.org/Savage/Buzzer%20Taped%20in%20Place.JPG

The buzzers work like a charm.  I will guarantee that you will never forget to turn off your Turn Signals again.  When i was testing the installation, my wife cam running into the garage asking if I was causing all the noise.  Now that the install is complete, and I'm cool and rested, I must admit that the 103 db buzzer may be an overkill.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 07/06/08 at 10:27:01

There are several ways to do it. Easiest, in my mind, is to wire the beeper directly across the turn signal flasher. Use a low-current unit. Most electronic beepers will use less than a tenth of an amp (100 millamps). Unplug the flasher. Slip some fairly thin wires into the female connectors and plug the flasher back in. Run the wires to wherever you want to mount the beeper. Connect the wire that goes to the blue wire in the flasher connector to the negative side of the beeper, and the wire that goes to the orange or brown wire in the connector to the positive side of the beeper. MAKE SURE NEITHER WIRE IS GROUNDED. The beeper will beep when the turn signals are in use, but it will beep when the signals are not lit, and be silent when they are lit.

Theory of operation:  The turn signal flasher is a relay, normally closed when the signals are not in use. Power is applied to the brown or orange wire whenever the bike is on. Power is applied to the blue wire through the flasher. With power applied to both sides of the beeper, it does nothing. When you turn on the signals, the power is routed from the blue wire, through the signal switch, to the lamps on whichever side you selected. The lamps light. After a short time the turn signal flasher starts cycling (turning itself on and off), thus flashing the turn signals. When the flasher cycles the signals off your new beeper has power on its positive side, and sees ground through the switch and the now cold filaments of the turn signal lamps. It beeps, but its current is so low as not to light the turn signal lamps.

There are other more complicated ways to do it, including some circuits so the beeper won't beep while the brake is applied (that way you don't have to listen to it while stopped at a light). I believe there is a way in the technical section, using steering diodes and a relay.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/06/08 at 11:23:20

Charon wrote on 07/06/08 at 10:27:01:
There are other more complicated ways to do it, including some circuits so the beeper won't beep while the brake is applied (that way you don't have to listen to it while stopped at a light). I believe there is a way in the technical section, using steering diodes and a relay.

Yes, more complicated, but it works for me!
Bleeping Turn Signals

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:23:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal buzzer?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.