Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roadside tire repair... Is it possible? (Read 106 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Roadside tire repair... Is it possible?
07/05/08 at 19:32:14

I just swapped the rear wheel from the '88 to my '87 today.  That puts a Kenda Challenger 140/90/15 on my bike.  Taller, wider, better tread, it should be a good deal if I did everything right and it doesn't fall off and kill me.

In the aftermath, I have a couple of questions...

The first one has me a little baffled.  When I stood the two wheels with tires mounted next to one another, the Kenda is considerably taller than the IRC.  It's just over 25 inches tall and the IRC is about 24.  These measurements were made using the eyeball and tape measure method, as opposed to anything remotely accurate like measuring distance covered in one revolution.  Nonetheless, the difference in height is visible with the naked eye.

So, using a formula I learned in high school and probably don't remember correctly, C=(2*pi)r, and the 24 inch and 25 inch measurements, I determined that the Kenda is turning over around 807 times per mile.  The IRC is turning over 840 times per mile.  However, my Savage's speedometer and my Schwinn computer (which has always been accurate to around .003 mile) are still reading the same speed on the highway.  It seems like that shouldn't be.

Now, on to the important question.  Now that I've done this, I won't be afraid to do it in the yard again.  I just lifted the bike up and had Kay shove a six-by-six under the frame.  It sat there just fine without tying it to anything, so I followed the Clymer and got it done.  But out on the highway somewhere?

I've heard some of you talk about carrying tire repair gear with you in your saddle bags.  Even IF I had room to carry all the tools, the tubes, the patch kit, and heaven forbid, a spare tire, how in the world do you get the bike jacked up and stabilized well enough to accomplish what is a fair amount of yanking around?  I just don't see it.  I'd love to hear someone who has done it give some pointers.

At this point, if I get a flat outside of the range of Kay and my truck, I will pay a tow truck to come haul the bike to town.  That's an expense I'd just as soon avoid, but I honestly don't see an alternative.  I have to be missing something.  Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks,
Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Re: Roadside tire repair... Is it possible?
Reply #1 - 07/05/08 at 20:54:11

Let me take a shot at the speedo question.  Your schwin speedo is running off you front tire, correct?  So that one would not change and should be accurate.  The savage speedo runs off the transmission.  However, I think the diff in the tires may be a smaller amount after you sit on the bike, so your not seeing a big difference in your speedo.

As far an on the road tire change, I haven't had the "opportunity" (and hope I never do).  The tires have tubes and that will be what needs to be changed.  So you'll a tube, tire irons, and a CO2 canister(s) to get you going again (at the least in my opinion).  I carry non of these and just rely on tow service to take me to the nearest shop.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 07/05/08 at 22:48:42

Tire Repair Kit:

Seriously, I just mounted and balanced my new Metzeler on my rear wheel -- not as easy as bicycle tires.  My first car, the Galloping Warthog (half as fast and twice as ugly) ran on American Eagle Tires -- bald.  Carried three spares, also bald.  Eventually I learned that riding on good rubber avoids a LOT of problems.

Run good tires and the likelyhood of a flat drop significantly.  You could carry around the tools needed to dismount a wheel, break the bead, pull and patch the tube, and put it all back together -- or you can carry the card and in the highly unlikely event of a flat you can call the toll free number and the guy will come out and either fix it or tow you, up to 100 miles, to someone who will fix or replace your tire.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/06/08 at 05:44:00

I think I want me on O them cards! Hauling the emergency kit would be a monumental headache & encroach on the beer room. The Dunlop is a stiff dude. I think I can ride it flat, but I am sure I dont want to tray to fix it outside a shop. POsitive, now trhat I think about how hard it was, IN the shop. Ill ride it or call for help, but no thanks on swapping tubes.
The front isnt so tuff, IIRC.

How many $$$ bills a year for that card?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/06/08 at 07:13:03

I run Kenda Challenger 140/90/15 on my bike...Good tires with deep treads, and reasonably priced.....Great cornering, rain traction, and tire wear..Made my Savage feel new again..Even cut up pavement and tar snakes don't bother me now..Great price also.......A lot of the racing teams swear by them.....They are one of life's untold secrets.....I see they are getting more popular lately, so I am sure the price will go up.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 07/06/08 at 07:29:49

Yeah, I'm gonna run it a few miles before I really push it, but it looks like a pretty grippy tire.  I've ordered new brake pads for the front, so while I'm doing that, I'm going to change the front IRC out for the Metzler that's on the '88 right now.  Then, if nothing wobbles loose on me, I'm going to find a twisty road and see what all the hubbub is about. Smiley  Should be fun.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #6 - 07/06/08 at 10:57:22

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/06/08 at 05:44:00:
...How many $$$ bills a year for that card?
$47 for the card, classic services, to cover MsPaladin -- covers her in any vehicle she's driving ('cept RV/Motorcycles.)  $24 to add me to cover me in any vehicle I'm driving.  $27 to add #3 daughter.  $27 to add RV/Motorcycle tow + RV tire repair (no m/c tire repair -- get a tow to a m/c shop.)  

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Roadside tire repair... Is it possible?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.