Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cheap and easy speedo rattle fix (Read 182 times)
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Cheap and easy speedo rattle fix
06/29/08 at 16:08:35

Well after being severely annoyed by my speedo rattle today while riding I decided to fix it.(It was so loud I couldnt hear my exhaust almost). Instead of trying the methods on here first I decided to just take it apart and look at it. After studying the speedo and tank I found that the spring tension on the mounting bolts didnt have an affect on the rattle. It was the  metal part that went through the mounting tabs on the tank. They had little wear marks from rubbing metal to metal. So i thought i would experiment to fix it. I wrapped a little bit of electrical tape around the stud part where it went through the mounting tab to take up the slack. When i went to mount the speedo it felt tighter in the mounting tabs. After i got it all back together i took it for a test ride and walla! It worked! No more rattle! Now im not sure how long the tape will last but if it will last a season of riding i will be more than pleased. It was cheap and free for me since i had some tape in my toolbox so i think it will be worth it. Good luck to anyone that tries this and let me know how it goes or if you need help just ask. Oh yeah sorry for no pics but i figure if you look through some old post you can find some. Smiley

Mario

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Cheap and easy speedo rattle fix
Reply #1 - 06/29/08 at 19:07:09

Mario,

Thanks for posting this.  I tried this very same fix a while back and it kept the rattle away for over two years.

However, now the rattle is back.  I may just do the same fix again, as it works for a good while.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 06/30/08 at 04:43:12

Springs & legs, how to quiet them down -- what a quandry.  Springs and legs are like a sing and dance duo, working out on a stage (the tabs) to entertain you with their song.

The list as a whole has fought that speedo noise war since the beginning - Savage Rob and the list originals tried RTV silicone worked all through the turns of the spring so when it set up it was a solid mass.    They glued the sing and dance duet together under a mountain of glop that froze them to the stage.  It worked.  

You guys are electrical taping the fret points, and it works.  In essence you just put a rubber mat down on the stage so their feet won't squeak as they continue to dance, plus you mighta put some bumpers on the steel leg dancers themselves depending on where you put the tape.  Problem is it may not last as they might move right off the rubber mat and start to squeaking again.  Or the tape could dry up, harden & curl up on you, moving the mat out of the way of their feet.  Or they could wear right through the tape as the miles rack up and they go back to singing.

So many ways to get springs and them looonnnngg vibrating steel mounting legs to quit singing together in harmony.

Me, I figured you had to permanently break up the duet by removing one of the vocal singers and replacing them with a deaf mute.  Then I glued everybody together and bound their feet down to the stage permanently like the original RTV guys did,  just because them steel legs could still find the insides of the tab (maybe) as the tab edge is sharp and can cut through most forms of rubber/tape/RTV given enough time.    

No sin no foul on my repair as the lead steel leg singer is still body wrapped and glued completely up inside that deaf mute groupie whose big butt is still firmly glued to the stage.  She ain't letting him make a peep no matter if he does decide to sing, and he's happy just sitting there not moving sideways any all - he's fully engaged in place so to speak.  He may vibrate up and down some, but she's a true deaf mute and can't show her appreciation for his energetic vertical jiggling in any audible fashion.  

=================   ahem   ==============

Seriously now, them sharp inside edges on the tabs are your biggest threats to permanence on your tape job.

Permanence -- only doing the repair once counts for something as it is a bit of a pain to drain the gas tank to work on the speedo.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/30/08 at 15:44:30

i thought about other ways to fix this today as i knew the tape would only be temporary but hopefully not. if you could find some rubber hose thin enough to go over the speedo mounts and fit in the tabs that would work. or finding some plastic gromets to put in the tabs also would work. anyway i just have to say what a dumb design on suzuki's half. being an auto mechanic i run into these kind of things alot. but i guess thats what keeps me employed.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 07/01/08 at 07:02:29

You might want to take a loot at the existing thread on this topic in the Tech Ref forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 07/01/08 at 08:00:03

And I spent ALL that time cutting the thin self adhesive foam to fit the speedo body & isolate it from the tank. OWELL, It worked.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/01/08 at 15:44:49

Savage_Rob wrote on 07/01/08 at 07:02:29:
You might want to take a loot at the existing thread on this topic in the Tech Ref forum.

ive read that thread but i didnt like the idea of putting silicone everywhere. and tape was the only thing i had laying around that seemed useful. yeah im cheap i know. its worked great so far and was easy to do so i wont mind doing it again if it wears out. taking the tank off is easy plus it gives me time to check things over.

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/01/08 at 15:57:47

I cut a small piece of innertube, folded it over the tab, and cut a small slit to force the leg through.  Took 3 hands, but isnt that normal?

IP Logged
willrph
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/01/08 at 18:01:26

Does anyone think the heat shrunk wire insulation would work?  I have used it on some electrical wiring and it seems pretty tough.

White spacer mod, 150 main, K&N Air Filter, Memphis Shades Slim
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #9 - 07/02/08 at 02:06:26

I used the innertube method as well. Just wrapped a cut section around the housing in the tank, and refit the speedo in the mount. No more buzzing. Easy, cheap, permanant (but can remove it if i ever need/want to), and you wouldn't know it was there if you were'nt looking for it. It did take four hands to do though. (thanks honey)
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
SavageGreaseMonkey13
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/02/08 at 16:16:25

willrph wrote on 07/01/08 at 18:01:26:
Does anyone think the heat shrunk wire insulation would work?  I have used it on some electrical wiring and it seems pretty tough.

I think that would definitely work and be alot better than tape actually. thanks for the idea. Ill have to try it if or when my tape wears through.

IP Logged
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/03/08 at 10:58:05

Savage_Rob wrote on 07/01/08 at 07:02:29:

I did the topic.  and it worked great .. I worked slow taking it apart and  completing the task. so about an hour, then after letting it sit.

took me maybe 30 minutes to put everything back

vibration is gone...  and all about 15 bucks for hoses 1ft each size and silicone.

hooah I love to ride it again !!  no vibration !!! Lips Sealed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cheap and easy speedo rattle fix

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.