Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
EXCITED New Owner! (Read 379 times)
flcruzr
Ex Member

EXCITED New Owner!
06/26/08 at 17:56:11

Hello Everyone!  I'm so Excited, I just purchased an 08' Silver S40.  Unfortunately I have to wait till tomorrow morning to pick it up but still very excited.  Any advise for a newbie S40 owner?  Look forward to hanging out on this site and riding my new S40.  Grin

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Re: EXCITED New Owner!
Reply #1 - 06/26/08 at 17:59:33

Huzzah! Welcome, you might want to take a cold shower while you wait for your scoot.  Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/26/08 at 18:08:39

In case you're buying a brand new bike and are totally new to bikes.
Be very carefull leaving the dealership.  Brand new tires are very,very slippery!!  They have a slick coating on them that is used to release them from the tire moulds and you need to wear that of over 10 or 20 miles.
Other than that, welcome!
Be safe...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 06/26/08 at 18:46:43

With any luck at all they already gave you the owner's manual. Browse through that. I don't want to start a war on proper break-in procedures, but the Suzuki manual gives some break-in speeds you aren't supposed to exceed for a while. I think there might be a sticker on the speedometer, too.

Dealerships are not noted for filling the gas tank on new bikes. Your first stop might be a gas station. Make sure you put the fuel selector to ON, not RES or PRI. That way, first time you run out of gas you will have the RES to fall back on.

I hope this doesn't sound like I am "talking down" to you, because it isn't meant that way. The excitement of a new bike makes it easy to overlook some rather pragmatic considerations.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/26/08 at 19:06:39

I hope this doesn't sound like I am "talking down" to you, because it isn't meant that way. The excitement of a new bike makes it easy to overlook some rather pragmatic considerations. [/quote]

NOT AT ALL!  I appreciate your feedback, Yes, I will note all you have said, I'll be at the dealer early am to get my new bike, the sales manager said it will be gassed up and ready to ride when I arrive so I'll make sure the gas lever is in the ON position and get an owners manual.  The guys at the dealer were very helpful, and I believe they were fair.  I got the bike for $5000 out the door, I was not charged for freight or set up, originally I was but I asked for that to be taken off for an instant purchase and after a few back and forths they gave me this deal.  Looking forward to riding it home! Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/26/08 at 19:10:56

here's an owners manual for your reading tonight

2002 Suzuki Savage LS650P Owner's Manual:
http://home.comcast.net/~kenglong/savage.html

2002/2008 same animal

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 06/26/08 at 19:58:27

Congrat's !!!!!   How's the Carly Simon song go..... "Anticipation......"

New bike,  wonder if it has a New bike smell  Huh.  Like a new car smell....???

Ride safe, get use to the bike.  Have you taken any safety courses???

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/26/08 at 20:17:15

Thanks again for all of your advise' and yes I have taken the msf course, i'm ready to roll, I will take a look at the owners manual.  Thanks again!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #8 - 06/26/08 at 20:23:56

Whoo Hooo!!! Got mine 2 weeks ago so I know how you are feeling. It is worth the wait.

Ride safe

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #9 - 06/26/08 at 22:15:50

flcruzr wrote on 06/26/08 at 17:56:11:
...  Any advise for a newbie....

People will look straight at you and NOT SEE YOU.  Never assume that someone knows you exist until and unless they have reacted to your presence.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/26/08 at 22:43:14

Paladin. wrote on 06/26/08 at 22:15:50:

People will look straight at you and NOT SEE YOU.  Never assume that someone knows you exist until and unless they have reacted to your presence.

READ & REpeat daily or more often, until it becomes second nature.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 22:59:58

Hi, as further warning about picking up a bike from a dealer... besides watching out for slick new tires; also make sure the tires are properly inflated. Twice in my life I've had dealers send me off their parking lot with deflated rear tires. One actually rolled off the rim as I turned to exit their parking lot! As long as you are kicking the tires, make sure that all the other dealer installed items are on straight and bolted down tight. Just give the whole bike a good looking over and making sure nothing wiggles that shouldn't etc... before you ever move it in the parking lot!

IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #12 - 06/27/08 at 09:16:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/26/08 at 22:43:14:
Paladin. wrote on 06/26/08 at 22:15:50:

Agree!

I got my bike about 2 weeks ago. My first time out this past Monday, I had a few people pull out in front, not to the point where I had to slam the brakes on, closer than I like. Than the debris in the road. Than people slamming on the brakes and turning with no turn signal. On my first day out, I think I just about experienced every bad thing that could happen.  Shocked

Not to scare you, take it easy and watch out ahead of you.

Ride Safe. Smiley

READ & REpeat daily or more often, until it becomes second nature.

07 S40
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #13 - 06/27/08 at 09:28:42

Welcome to the SAVAGE nation. Take the time to feel your bike out and get use to it. Ride STRONG, Ride PROUD, and Ride SAFE.

IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #14 - 06/27/08 at 10:10:20

I'll just carry this over from another thread - 'write down all your key codes and put the information somewhere safe'.

Congrats and welcome.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:23:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › EXCITED New Owner!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.