Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help me calibrate my "seatometer" (carb stuff) (Read 50 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Help me calibrate my "seatometer" (carb stuff)
06/24/08 at 19:19:43

Someone said recently that their decals added 50 horsepower each.  That made me laugh, but I'm guilty of a similar syndrome sometimes.  So I need you guys to tell me what I'm imagining, what is real, and if what is real is o.k.

I rejetted to a #50 pilot jet from the stock 47.5 last night.  At the same time I removed just about everything that was left in my muffler.  I have the same 155 main jet I've always had.  Rode to work this morning (about 45 miles, so the bike was good and warm.)

Here is what I noticed (I think):  The bike does not seem to be so "snappy."  Instead of leaping (or jerking) when I open the throttle, or nose-diving when I slap it shut, the bike seems much more smooth.  It pulls steadilly off the line, and doesn't "feel" ready to shift as early as it did.  It seemed like I was 5-10 mph faster when I was ready to shift into third and fourth gears.  I tried and tried, and could not get it to backfire.  From WOT on the highway, when I decelerate, I swear it sounds just like the Jacobsen's brake on an 18 wheeler.  

Could one little piece of brass really change it that much, or am I dreaming?

Synopsis:  Sounds good, feels good, runs good.  I think I'll keep it.  Unless I get tired of the noise. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Help me calibrate my "seatometer" (carb stuff)
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 19:30:37

So you couldn't get it to pop?  and it don't have the same snap?  And I bet no crackle either, but a good Jacoby.   Cool

Try leaning up the idle until you get it to pop.  you can afford to be a little lean on idle, the bike is just coasting or sitting still, and you won't be there for very long.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 19:32:10

Your "seatometer" seems to like the changes.  Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.  Enjoy.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 19:36:53

Verslagen1, when I tuned it last night, I ended up with the screw all the way shut and it never did start to stumble.  So I set it about 3/8 turn out.  I didn't figure it was a good idea to close it all the way.  Although I don't know on what wisdom I base that decision.  Can I run it with that screw all the way in?

Thanks, Serowbot.  I'll try not to dislocate my shoulder in the process. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 06/24/08 at 19:37:26

Keep an eye on the spark plug for rich/lean color.  

Also,  your MPG,  but that may be hard to evaluate because of the SMILE  factor Grin .

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:24:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help me calibrate my "seatometer" (carb stuff)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.