Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW HERE NEED HELP WITH NOISE (VIBRATION) (Read 175 times)
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NEW HERE NEED HELP WITH NOISE (VIBRATION)
06/24/08 at 16:20:00

Ok since I am new here, I will start my introducing my self and my bike

.. HI I am BULLIT !!

I got my 2003 savage in Mar 2008, It had 70 original miles on it.  It was garage kept and started frequently for the entire 5 years.

Well I have had 2 blinkers and a tail light go out.

Then last week (mid June), I suddenly lost power and bike quit..

I found the small fuse box on the right side under the seat..  top fuse blown.

next I noticed that with a new fuse my bike would start, idle, I could sit on seat after replaced, but as soon as I took off .. pow there went the fuse.

so I found the shorted wire on the rite side under the tank close to the seat.

It had wore I guess from vibration of the gas tank.  I fixed that wire all up and all good.

Now for the problem I am worried about.  The vibration noise I hear.

I did not completely remove tank, just undid 2 bolts by seat and slid tank minimum down and lift a hair to tape up wire that got rubbed raw.

I read about a speedo noise on this site.. but I don't know if that is what I am hearing.

anyways the rubber stuff on the bolts by the seat look fine.

I cannot find any info on TANK REMOVAL.  Pics etc.

I have never worked on a bike before, but am mechanicaly inclined. which is why I am asking before I tear it apart and cost me money lol

anyone? with info on tank removal, or help on the massive vibration noise.??

thanks in advance.

IP Logged
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: NEW HERE NEED HELP WITH NOISE (VIBRATION)
Reply #1 - 06/24/08 at 16:21:16

PS. HERES THE PIC.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 06/24/08 at 18:35:22

Regarding tank removal:  If possible, I would strongly recommend having an assistant the first time.  If not possible, you can still do it, but that first time is tricky.  
1.) Take off the seat and remove the two bolts that hold down the seat bracket and the rear of the gas tank.  
2.) Remove the speedometer cable where it screws on to the transmission.  This is on the right side of the bike.  It looks like a great long spring running from the tranny up under the tank.  Just unscrew it and pull it of BEING VERY CAREFUL NOT TO LOSE THE WASHER THAT IS INSIDE THE SCREW CAP.  Put a baggie or piece of tape on the bottom of the cable to retain the washer.
3.) Remove the vacuum line and fuel line from the carburetor and let them hang from the petcock.
4.) Lift gently on the back of the tank while pushing slightly to the left side of the bike.  This will allow you to get the petcock past the frame.  Pull back and up.  The tank is anchored in the front by to half-sockets that rest on rubber doughnuts mounted to the frame.  The primary motion you are looking for is backward, but a little lift and left will be necessary.  
5.) You will know when the tank is loose.  When it is, turn it partially onto its side, and unhook the wires that lead to the speedo.  There is a white plug close to the tank.  Just pull it apart.  There is also a rubber hose on mine that hooks to the tank toward the front on the right.  Pluck that off as well.
6.) There you have it.  Set the tank somewhere safe.

If I missed anything, someone will jump in.  Good luck...

Regarding the vibration:  If you can describe it a little better, and tell us what you and the bike are doing when it happens, there will be no end of suggestions forthcoming.  I promise. Smiley

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/24/08 at 18:52:14

Sandy you got it right.
only thing i can add is, you may need to plug the gas line, mine drips.

as to vibration and location, grab various places, if noise stops you found what was vibrating.  check the head light and the speedo.

WWW   IP Logged
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/25/08 at 08:05:53

THANK YOU SANDY,

eXcellent help on the removal, just to make sure I got the idea, and I dont lose any washers.  That gives me the courage to do my first tank removal lol.  Sounds like you done  this a few times, I really appreciate the qwik response.  now on to the other stuff

I found the annoying vibrating noise.. I reached down and put my fingers slightly under the top of the speedo on the way to work today and thats it.  

the dang speedo.  I saw a post in this forums to fix that prob.  I will try to work on it this weekend.  

I will take pics and post my mess !

thanks for the tank removal plans.   I heard getting it back on will be a pain, but one thing at a time

I will keep yall updated.

« Last Edit: 06/25/08 at 17:01:59 by BULLIT »  
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #5 - 06/25/08 at 13:41:06

I've got the same vibration on mine... I'm going to tackle it when I do the carb re-jet and dyna exhaust. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charlie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Galt, CA
Reply #6 - 06/25/08 at 15:00:14

Hah, I too discovered the annoying squeaky speedometer problem on the way home from my aborted ride test this morning. Looksmlike I'll be taking this on as well.

IP Logged
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/25/08 at 16:56:35

Well here is the link that I am going to follow to do the work this weekend..

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1179104436

let me know if anyone knows other options.  
or discussions on the subject of a

vibrating speedo  <---- now that just sounds so wrong.  Grin
Cool

dont forget the pics.  I am going to post em up after I am done.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #8 - 06/25/08 at 17:54:28

I've read that thread several times, and it looks to me like it is a darn good fix.  Being of an independent bent (read that: stubborn and inquisitive) I decided to try it a different way.

First I discovered that a little shot of WD-40 stopped mine from squeaking.  Knowing that wouldn't last, I decided to grease those springs under the speedo.  That took care of it.  I then flipped the tank back upright, pulled up on the speedo a little, and ran a bead of clear silicone called "Lexel" all the way around underneath it, between the speedo and the tank.  This really clenched the deal.  The only downside to my way that I have seen so far is that I didn't do a good enough job of cleaning up the silicone.  I smeared some on the tank around the speedo.  The sun was shining, and that crap set up fast.

One of these days I'm going to sit in the shade and scrape it off, but it ain't bothering me enough to do it yet.  Rather be riding.

Again, I think the other way is probably better and neater, but the way I did it is definitely faster and easier.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
BULLIT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/30/08 at 18:55:41

well I did it.  got it all done.

It prob an hour to fix . then the set time

then about 30 min to put back together.

I am enjoying the ride without that annoying noise now.

HOOAH!

I have many pics so let me know if you need any visuals.

and or any questions. It was easy......!!! Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEW HERE NEED HELP WITH NOISE (VIBRATION)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.