Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about swapping a 95 engine into an 88 (Read 116 times)
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Questions about swapping a 95 engine into an 88
06/28/08 at 12:22:28

I have an 88 that is now my backup bike since I went back to Trump and got my Triumph Scrambler,  My buddy borrowed it to learn to ride and stopped riding it immediately and towed it back to me when he heard a nasty noise that turned out to be the cam tensioner letting go.  I picked up a 95 that had been wrecked and had bent forks and a dented tank for only $300 bucks delivered.  The 88 engine has been torn down and needs a complete rebuild so I am in the process of swapping the engine and transmission from the 95 into the 88.  

I know this has been pretty much the same bike for it's whole model run and am looking forward to adding the 5th gear.  When I put the 95 engine and transmission into the 88 is there anything else like the CDI or other parts that I should swap out from the 95 as well or will the engine and transmission work with everything else that is still on the 88?  I've read posts about issues putting an older engine into a newer bike but any advice from those who have made such a swap would be greatly appreciated.  

On a side note I'll be posting the frame for sale when the project is done so if anybody is looking for a frame PM me with an offer.

Thanks in advance for any info from you diehard Thumpers.

I'm livin' and dyin' in 3/4 time.....
islandcat88   IP Logged
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Bueller, bueller..... anyone???
Reply #1 - 06/28/08 at 18:49:48

just trying to get a little help without getting lost in the shuffle.....

islandcat88   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Questions about swapping a 95 engine into an 8
Reply #2 - 06/29/08 at 09:20:30

There are several people that have done this, after all the help we gave them you would think they would chime in.  But I can't recall that they ever said gotrdone, no issues, thanks.  No I can only conclude that we've overlooked something and when they went to start it up left a big hole in the ground.

As far as I know, CDI box should go with the engine, some rectifiers are 3 and some 5 wire.

Oh, when you start up, have a friend film from a mile away so we know what happens.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 06/29/08 at 10:53:07

IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 06/29/08 at 10:53:50

actually i'd like to know too.  I'm getting sick of this 4spd tranny.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #5 - 06/29/08 at 15:03:13

I have yet to hear anyone say the five-speed is an improvement.  Why are you sick of the four?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Trump2Thump
YaBB Newbies

Gabba Gabba Hey!!!

Space Coast of Florida
Reply #6 - 06/30/08 at 11:41:57

My nephew is the wrench and he got the 95 engine into the 88 and fired her up without any pipes and boy was she loud.  The parts bike came with af antermrket pipe but he's having a problem getting the stock muffer clamp off so i'm going to do a search on that and see what i can find.

He cleaned out the carb with good old carb cleaner and tooday is a run through with fresh dino oil mixed with seafom and then a swtich to synthetic.  If we can't figure out the muffler clamp then plan b is a bafflectomy.  So far that $300 parts bke was money very well spent.

islandcat88   IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 06/30/08 at 12:18:55

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/29/08 at 15:03:13:
I have yet to hear anyone say the five-speed is an improvement.  Why are you sick of the four?

I only say that with the assumption that the newer 5-spds have a taller top end.

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #8 - 06/30/08 at 16:26:35

As far as I know the 4 speed has a very slightly higher (faster) ratio than the 5  but not enough to make a difference

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 06/30/08 at 16:45:44

I think some said the 5 speed turn a 100 less rpm at 60,A real shame if they went to the trouble it should have turned about 500rpm less.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 06/30/08 at 19:54:12

bill67 wrote on 06/30/08 at 16:45:44:
  I think some said the 5 speed turn a 100 less rpm at 60,A real shame if they went to the trouble it should have turned about 500rpm less.

Oh hell than nevermind.  I'm more than happy with the acceleration of the 4spd.  There' plenty of torque to move it.  I like the one less shift, i;m just looking for more top end.  I guess it would be much easier to do a chain conversion or even bigger tires.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:25:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions about swapping a 95 engine into an 88

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.