Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
valve adjustment (Read 333 times)
Jimworx

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

valve adjustment
06/23/08 at 19:48:47

Just curious, how do you adjust the valves on a savage? How often should it be done?

Thanks,
Jim

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: valve adjustment
Reply #1 - 06/23/08 at 19:58:45

First valve CHECK should be done at 600 miles.  Owner's manual/repair manuals recommend intervals after that.  If you own a Savage, get a repair manual and the Savage CD, will pay for themselves many times over.

A quick search will yield lots of previous discussion on the valve check/adjustment.  Festive!   Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/23/08 at 20:01:59

I know this is hard, but let me walk you thru it...
1) click on 'general category'
2) click on 'Technical Documents/Reference'
3) double click on 'Table of Contents with links' (second one from the top)
4) click on 'Adjusting your valves' (7th from top)

Owners manual says every 3500 miles.

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #3 - 06/23/08 at 20:59:49

Jimworx,

Read the section verslagen1 pointed you to three times, have all of the tools ready. I believe it calls for an offset wrench. Trust me, go get one. Follow the directions there, it's better than the Clymers. Good luck and good wrenching.
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 06/23/08 at 22:45:56

if'n I was you I'd have a pair of .003 or .004" feelers - really is best to adjust both at the sametime - after all their on the same rocker arm - but if she's not click'n I'd sure not adjust it right off - just check it a few times first.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/24/08 at 01:05:03

MAAAn,, why didnt I think of that? Loosen off both adjusters, slip a feeler gauge under both, run it down, tighten the jam & VI Ola,,, yer good! This could really speed the process.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #6 - 06/24/08 at 01:53:43

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/08 at 01:05:03:
MAAAn,, why didnt I think of that? Loosen off both adjusters, slip a feeler gauge under both, run it down, tighten the jam & VI Ola,,, yer good! This could really speed the process.
But always double-check it after you've tightened them.  A 1mm pitch thread will tighten the gap by .001" with just 9 degrees of rotation - and the screw can easily move twice that when the locknut is nipped tight.  Even when you hold it in place with the screwdriver while tightening the locknut, those little sods move just to p you off.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #7 - 06/24/08 at 05:26:21

Get the offset wrenches ... BOTH of them.  When I did my adjustment last month for the first time it went sooooo smoothly because of those offset wrenches.  I'd like to think that I could do it without them, but I doubt it!  Also, I bought the Motion Pro Timing Plug Wrench.  That was pretty awesome too.  I've used it on my bike and the old lady's.  There is a link on here (several I think) on how to make your own, but doing it the easy way was worth $20 to me.  Wink

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/24/08 at 06:44:18

I havent got an offset 10 MM yet, but one day,,, One day,, I just use a regular old craftsman 10 MM, but I can see how it would be easier with one that drops down. The offset screwdrivers for holding the adjuster while the jam nut gets the squeeze really changed the hassle factor. I was doing it with just the wrench & turning the adjuster by fingertip for the longest time. Tedious, not recommended.

RPGpgmr, is there a pic of that Timing PLug Wrench?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #9 - 06/24/08 at 07:14:18

This isn't where I bought it (can't remember exactly) but this is it:

http://www.revzilla.com/product/motion-pro-timing-plug-wrench

The pictures posted online are a little misleading as to the actual size.  I'll take a picture for you tonight with it next to the bike.  Made the job so much easier and won't scratch the cover.  Like I said, for $20 it is well worth it.  I think I even got it cheaper than that?  LOTS of sites on the net are selling it so just pick the cheapest ... but not Phat Performance.  Deal with them at your own risk.  Angry

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/24/08 at 07:25:56

I Googled & saw a pic, but it looked like something that would go on a keychain in that pic.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #11 - 06/24/08 at 08:07:32

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/24/08 at 07:25:56:
I Googled & saw a pic, but it looked like something that would go on a keychain in that pic.
It's quite a substantial thing - about 10 inches across.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #12 - 06/24/08 at 20:21:28

Those tools are probably very handy, but if you don't have them, don't let it keep you from doing the job.  I used a box-end 10 mm wrench, a ratchet and socket to turn the engine over, and ground a 1 inch spade bit into a really effective plug wrench.  I've been in there twice now, so it can be done.  My problem is that when I go spend 20 bucks on a new tool, I lose it right away.  The rusty old wrenches I had in high school just keep following me around.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #13 - 06/25/08 at 04:23:16

Here's a picture of my Motion Pro Timing Plug Wrench.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/25/08 at 07:49:23

I like it. I cant afford it, tho. If I had one of those, I would want an engine that had a timing plug that fit each end of it..surely, you see my dilemma.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:17:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.