Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about TDC (Read 85 times)
oksavage

question about TDC
06/23/08 at 09:06:24

I just put my new cam chain on and am reassembling everything.  My camshaft is in the lobe down position but the horizontal lines are not quite lining up with the edge of the head.  What gives??  the cam shaft gear can only be on in one position due to the alignment dowel.  any suggestions or insight??

IP Logged
oksavage

Re: question about TDC
Reply #1 - 06/23/08 at 09:56:52

I guess what I'm asking is do I worry about TDC right now or check it later.  If I make sure the cam lobes are down at reassemble will everything be ok or does the piston need to be in a certain place on the stroke at reassemble??  lobes down all good??  am waiting for a reply before I proceed.  thanks

IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #2 - 06/23/08 at 10:08:56

You will need to worry about TDCC right now. First you have to set TDCC, then turn the camshaft so the horizontal timing marks are lined up with the head. The way I did it was first set TDCC (make sure nothing rotates after this), then line up my camshaft (now the camshaft is in the proper position in relation to piston position), then put the chain and gear on the camshaft.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #3 - 06/23/08 at 10:14:05

how do you know your at tdc with everything apart?? just trust the white mark on the alternator bolt and set it at 3 oclock??

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/23/08 at 10:14:57

I was hoping someone alittle more would respond but here goes...

I recall mine not lining up exactly too.  Tried leaning up and down and went with up as it was the closer of the two.  But as I was using a used chain, that would make sense.

make sure the cam and gear interlock pin is up at 1 o'clock and that the crankshaft is still aligned with the mark in the case.  Rotate by hand to confirm.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 06/23/08 at 10:15:51

When replacing my camshaft, I simply put the the piston at TDC, then placed the cam lobes down which automatically makes it the compression stroke. But be very careful that while you are placing the cam that you do not turn the crank as that will spoil the TDC position.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
oksavage

Reply #6 - 06/23/08 at 10:24:03

where is this mark on the crankshaft housing, all I see is a white blob of paint on the crankshaft, no mark on the housing

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #7 - 06/23/08 at 10:40:45

oksavage wrote on 06/23/08 at 10:24:03:
where is this mark on the crankshaft housing, all I see is a white blob of paint on the crankshaft, no mark on the housing

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I use a straw in the spark plug hole method. I place a straw in the spark plug hole and turn the engine over by hand until the straw is all the way up. That is TDC.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #8 - 06/23/08 at 10:42:40

On my '88 there is a notch just inside the housing at the 3 o'clock position which I line up with a little scribe mark on the timing inspection nut on the left side of the bike.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 06/23/08 at 17:56:28

it took me about ten tries to get it right, every time i tried it would be a little off. so i started with the line on the cam off set and when i moved the crank it ended up lining up. took a bunch of tries though.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 04:20:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › question about TDC

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.