Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
mechanic's 101 Question (Read 156 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
mechanic's 101 Question
06/23/08 at 04:59:59

One long engine/frame bolt to go, but its not moving which led to this question.
In general, should the pressure be applied to the bolt head and the nut held in place,(my thought), or the other way around?  And of course, it probably really doesn't actually get sperated that way.  
While it would seem that twisting off the nut is normally the thing that we do, that is because it's what we usually can get to.  when dealing with these long bolts, both ends are available but -  the threaded portion should be structurally weeker?  
Pragmatically, I ask as I have to buy a socket for 1/2" drive and as the bolt head and nut are different mm's, just gathering your thoughts..
Of course, if i had some money I'd simply by a set of sockets Grin
Heavy rains this am in central Mass - but thankfully not up to MidWesten standard.  My wife and i send our sympathy to any of you hit by that disaster.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: mechanic's 101 Question
Reply #1 - 06/23/08 at 05:09:13

for the sake of the mechanic, holding the head of a bolt & turning the nut would be more efficient, in terms of Horsepower spent to remove the nut, IF, there is friction/drag, that tries to halt the rotation of the bolt, otherwise, the forces felt at the threads are the same. Cranking on both ends at the same time & seeing if its harder to move one wrench than the other( Each held at the same distance from the load) will let you see if the bolt is being pinched significantly. Just Get the nut off. Maybe some oil would help..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 06/23/08 at 05:09:22

Suggest getting an impact wrench.  If you don't have an air compressor, get the electric version.   Helps prevent shearing the bolt...   I got a small Air powered 3/8" drive one from HomeDepot that had lifetime garrantee.  Used it to rebuild my engine.   I think it was around $40.

As to the question of which to turn.  Turn the side that does not have the lock washer.  But,  once free it doesn't matter.   Also, Coarser thread bolts shear sooner.    And....WD40, Liquid Wrench or CRC is your friend!!!!!!

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 06/23/08 at 05:35:32

As a mechanic, having been in this situation thousands of times--hold the bolt head and turn the nut. More often than not, especially on long bolts, the bolt is corroded in place and can be loosened up after the tension is released by removing the nut. And the best lube that I have found over the years--PB Blaster. Good luck.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/23/08 at 09:26:43

After 40 years of doing something this basic, I've forgotten where I've heard it or if I just reasoned it out.

Turn the nut, hold the bolt.  But in some cases it turns out to be turn what turns, hold what don't.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #5 - 06/23/08 at 19:11:54

drums1 wrote on 06/23/08 at 05:35:32:
...the best lube that I have found over the years--PB Blaster...

I agree on the PB Blaster. Also good in my experience as an aircraft mechanic are products called Kroil and (I'm not making this name up) Mousemilk.

I particularly like Mousemilk, as it's a liquid, not an aerosol - it doesn't get everywhere. And Pratt and Whitney recommends it, so it's gotta be good.  Wink

PB Blaster is typically more available, though.

Also, don't forget that time can be your friend. Hit the offending fastener with a blast of whatever you've got, try it once or twice....then go to bed. Hit it again in the morning, try again....repeat until it gives.

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/23/08 at 22:49:37

ratchet on both ends works for me

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 06/24/08 at 05:36:20

Thanks for the input,, I have hit it with PB Blaster and will pick up some wsockets today.  I'll have to check out the impact wrenches.

.if I live long enough, I'l have to get another MGB and start all over again. Grin  (Setting the valves on the MGB was soo simple.)  I also found the Austin Healy Sprite strarter motor was a teeny bit shorter but fit (3 replacements on my first "B")

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/24/08 at 07:09:38

Pawnshops have tools. A used impact is as good as a new one in 5 years. Barring some kind of abuse, but a lame impact will handle everything Ive had to do so far. There are sockets, individually available, often by the pound instead of piece. Harbor Freight has a set of 1/2" drive impact metric sockets pretty cheap. 6 pointers. I got some, no more slop than high class ones. I have tools from many makers & in some places, the need for higher quality justifies the expense. Some places, cheap works fine. I think the Harbor Freight impact sockets are plenty well made for the kind of use they will see maintaining this little bike. A small compressor just means taking longer, its still a lot easier than without air & going back together with the clutch, having air meant I didnt have to back up the motor to tighten the clutch pack, just a quick blip on the trigger.

BTW, Ingersoll Rand impacts have an incremental; trigger & can be run slowly, which can be helpful, especially if a wobble socket is on it. Most, like Chicago Pneumatic are wide open or off. This is where I spend the $$$. Ingersoll Rand 1/2 & a Mac Tools 3/8ths, and an air ratchet3/8ths, I think its a Mac, also, but one of the sweetest tools in the box is the 1/4" air ratchet. Made swappi9ng the radiator out on the Honda Civic a non knucklescraping deal.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › mechanic's 101 Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.