Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about swapping tires and wheels. (Read 68 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Questions about swapping tires and wheels.
06/22/08 at 17:16:35

My parts bike has tires on it that I would like to put on my bike in place of the IRC's.  The simplest way to do this would be just to swap the wheels from bike to bike.  My life is rarely simple, though.  So I'll bet there is a reason not to do this.  Can someone tell me what it is?

My chief concern is whether the brake pads are mated to the disc on the front wheel.  The pads on the old bike are about shot, and I don't want to move them to my bike.  Is it even an issue?  Can I remove the discs and swap them from wheel to wheel without creating problems?  Would I be better off to pull the tires off the rims and switch them that way? That will probably put off the project indefinitely.  I don't want to monkey with getting tire tools right now.  

If the pads I'm using will work with the disc from the parts bike, I might just go for it.  I haven't even looked at the manual on how to change the rear wheel yet.  Looks complicated.  I'll jump off that bridge when I come to it, but if there are similar concerns on the back, feel free to enlighten me.

Thanks,
Sandy

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Questions about swapping tires and wheels.
Reply #1 - 06/22/08 at 18:47:45

I would probably swap the rotors out,then just change the wheels.Alot easier.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 06/22/08 at 18:51:44

When I was thinking of sealing my wheels to run tubeless I was dreading being grounded for 2-4 weeks -- when the wife asked "why not get spare wheels?"  So I did.

Got a rear wheel with an excellent tire for $40, swapped it out, no problem -- and I am barely an adequate mechanic.  That wheel and tire took me to OKC and back; tho' the spokes loosened after that trip and I didn't retighten quite correctly so I now have a slight wiggle in the rear.  My original rear wheel is in the garage, naked, awaiting new tire/tube/rimstrip which should arrive Friday.

I can state that swapping the rear wheel was no problem.

Not quite as lucky on the front wheel, it arrived with bad bearings so I was going to use that for the seal job and have them press new bearings at the same time.  But the seal thing fell thru, so I'll do the bearings later to make that a trailer wheel.  However, I don't see any problem with swapping the front -- should be easier than the rear.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/22/08 at 19:53:56

Thanks guys.  If I get time this week, I'll do it before the Philipsburg trip.  Otherwise, it'll have to wait.  I'm leary of touching anything this close to the trip, but who knows?  Had the valve covers off again today, so I'm getting better about not letting these things intimidate me.

Off the subject a bit, it is amazing how much faster these things go after you've done them once.  The first time I adjusted the valves it was about a three hour learning process.  This time I was in and out in about an hour.  This bike is so fun to play with!

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:31:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions about swapping tires and wheels.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.