Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
paint job (Read 228 times)
odvelasc
Ex Member

paint job
06/22/08 at 12:29:21

anybody can tell me the best brand of paint and or how to do a paint job on the bike

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: paint job
Reply #1 - 06/22/08 at 12:36:40

How much do you want to spend,and do you have the tools?
The cost of materials can go from 5-20 bucks for rattle can
up to 1,000 for like House Of Kolor,Kameleon.House Of Kolor,and Metalflake are about all I use.You can do a 'Flake paint job for 300-400 in materials.
The work is in the prep.Sand out any nicks,scratches,etc with 180-220 paper.Use good 2 part primer.Block sand,reprime,spray a LIGHT coat of contrasting color(of the primer)and block sand until all of the contrasting color is gone.Clean parts with soap,and plenty of water,dry,wipe with tack rag spray your base color(if doing any art work{flames,pinstripes,etc.})mid coat clear,then your art work,candy,etc.Then final clearcoat 3-5 coats.Let sit for 3-10 days wet sand with 1,000 grit paper then 1,200-1,500 then 2,000.Then buff with a buffing compound then with polish compound then hand rub with a handglaze.
               This is just the short explination. Grin  

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/08 at 17:39:10

Soo, sand, prime, sand, prime, paint some coats and then a few clear cloats is the simplified version? Also, I intend on using spray cans for only a solid color, most likely chameleon. Thus, how many cans should I purchase for the tank and the fenders?

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/22/08 at 17:42:27

a few more questions? What is block sanding? What grit should I use to sand down bondo for a dent I am fixing? how many coats of my color should I apply if I do a solid color other than chameleon? what is mid coat clear?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #4 - 06/22/08 at 18:07:19

There is a good "how-to" on Bondo in the tech section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1111962414

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 06/22/08 at 18:19:30

Sanding bondo,depends on how smooth you did the bondo job,if it's pretty rough start with 40 grit,get it shaped,then drop down to 80 grit,get it pretty much done with that,then 120-180 grit to get the 80 grit scratches out of the bondo,and feather edge the existing paint.Block sanding is using a rubber squeegee with your sandpaper wrapped around it,makes your work straighter.If you're going to use Chameleon,don't use cheap primer go to a body shop supply store and get good spray can primer.Depending on the size of the cans,I'm thinking probably 4.Go with at least 3 coats,and as many as 5 depends on how it covers.Midcoat clear is only if you're going to do artwork,it basically protects your colorcoat if you mess up on the artwork you can"erase it".If no artwork don't worry about it.While at the bodyshop supply store,ask if they have a good clear in a spray can.If not I would have a bodyshop spray the clear.Most spray can clears are not gas resistant,bodyshop will spray alot more clear on too,that way you have more to sand,and buff for a nice smooth shine.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #6 - 06/23/08 at 00:44:55

What ever way you go do not use those cheap spray guns (Less than a hundred bucks) My brother in law and I are painting his hot rod and my cage,fortunatly we started on his hot rod,it turned out terrible,so he went with a slightly better gun,still a lousy job,finnally he spent 400 hundred bucks and got a decent spray gun,the difference ia staggering,
the job now looks like a pro did it,as the old saying goes,"you get what you pay for",if you intend to do any more paint jobs in the future get yousrelf a decent gun,then you will have it,do a few jobs on the side and make up the costs.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 06/23/08 at 04:37:20

On a MC,  since there is not much surface area, the little 4 oz detailing spray guns work.  They cover a little slowly but that helps prevent runs.  Actually is easier to use than a spray can.  Plus they will work on the smaller air comprssors.  Note: you can rent this stuff too....

Painted my son's antique Honda (SL-70) with auto paint.  One pint  plus a small bottle of "hardener" that helps prevent the gas from hurting the paint, approx $20.  Painted the fender & tank on his Rupp mini-bike too.  Still have a 1/3 of the pint left.  

I will never go back to spray can paint.  Next project is stripping the spray paint off my Rupp and redoing it with auto paint.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #8 - 06/23/08 at 14:42:52

Spend the money for good stuff,It'll pay off in the long run.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 06/23/08 at 16:00:22

duplicolor has a new paint called paintshop(i think) and its only $20 a can, comes in a variety of colors and even some metalflake clears, you can get it at advance auto. its made for first timers, no mixing required. Cool

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/23/08 at 18:30:07

thanks for the good word everyone. From ottawa, canada, greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
odvelasc
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/23/08 at 18:31:56

rigidchop wrote on 06/23/08 at 16:00:22:
duplicolor has a new paint called paintshop(i think) and its only $20 a can, comes in a variety of colors and even some metalflake clears, you can get it at advance auto. its made for first timers, no mixing required. Cool

in terms of duplicolor, is the chameleon any good?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #12 - 06/23/08 at 19:17:11

Somebody here did their's awhile back,and (I think)had a bodyshop clearcoat it.Looked pretty nice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:22:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › paint job

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!