Seafoam dose for Suzi? (Read 788 times)
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Re: Seafoam dose for Suzi?
Reply #15 - 06/22/08 at 11:00:21

bill67 wrote on 06/22/08 at 05:39:50:
  Sta-bil keeps the gas from going bad,Its says it prevents corrosion from moisture doesn't say it cleans anything.

Oh,I didnt know/wasnt sure. I read on the bottle that it has petroleum...guess it dosent have the other added stuff.

Thanks!!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #16 - 06/22/08 at 11:19:25

Jay wrote on 06/21/08 at 21:48:45:
I once knew an old fellow who would add a tiny bit of Coleman stove fuel to his gas every so often to "work the kinks out."... It took a few cranks but the old car final kicked over, coughed a bit, belched some sooty black smoke from the tail pipe, and took off like a bat outta heII. Made it to the service station, and got to the campsite on time. Never tried Coleman fuel again, but that car sure ran good for quite some time. Maybe that old fool was on to something after all......
Ride safe,
Jay

My wife and I were avid backpackers, and spent our honeymoon hiking and backpacking the back country of Kawai and the big island of Hawaii.  As careful California campers accustomed to fire hazard conditions, we were very sparing when it came to priming our cook stove -- we used an eyedropper to measure out just enough Coleman fuel.  Heck, we looked like junkies with our needle for cleaning the jet and our eyedropper for the fuel.

So  we stopped for the evening at this one area and started getting ready for dinner.  Up comes another hiker, puts his stove on a rock and literally pours fuel from his bottle over the darned thing.  Stands back, flicks a match at it -- FOOM!  Instant fireball!

The flame dies down, he cracks open the valve and lights a roaring fire for his dinner.  Naturally the question arises as to what he was using.

"Shell of the Future -- it's that new unleaded gas they're introducing."

I still use Coleman fuel, but I know I can tap my gas tank if I run out!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 06/22/08 at 11:53:08

Jay wrote on 06/21/08 at 21:48:45:
I once knew an old fellow who would add a tiny bit of Coleman stove fuel to his gas every so often to "work the kinks out." I always wondered if that was healthy for the bike's engine. Then as fate would have it, I was caging to a camping location and ran out of gas about 5 miles from the nearest town. All I had with me was a gallon of Coleman fuel. I put it in and hoped for the best, as I wasn't in a position to walk the 5 miles timewise, and I certainly wasn't going to push that car! It took a few cranks but the old car final kicked over, coughed a bit, belched some sooty black smoke from the tail pipe, and took off like a bat outta heII. Made it to the service station, and got to the campsite on time. Never tried Coleman fuel again, but that car sure ran good for quite some time. Maybe that old fool was on to something after all......
Ride safe,
Jay

White gas?

WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #18 - 06/22/08 at 14:47:27

verslagen1,
Yeah, white gas. Naptha I've been told. I've never looked into its composition. Except for that one time of desperation, I've only ever used it for my camping stove. Maybe I should look into it.. All that money on gas additives, and I may only be pouring Coleman fuel in my tank. Cheesy
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 06/22/08 at 15:53:12

KwakNut wrote on 06/21/08 at 17:34:18:
Modern fuels have some pretty effective additive packs which deal with all those dirty deposits you used to get a few years ago, and modern lubes don't need additives if you're buying quality products (especially synthetics).

If you really MUST flush your oil, mix 50% diesel in the sump with your part-drained old oil and run the motor for 2 minutes (I know people who do that with sports bikes at 100% diesel – and boy, it cleans the inside of the engine with zero detrimental effect.  I’d have said ‘Noooo – don’t do it”, but they’ve proved me wrong by doing it at a bike shop for a decade with no problems).

Most aftermarket additive packs just charge you again for something you’ve already paid for in your fuel or oil.

KwakNut, what has your education in the oil industry told you about upper cylinder lubricants such as Marvel Mystery Oil or Redex?  MMV has been used for 60 years or so as an oil mixed in the gas tank or directly drawn into the intake manifold via a valved tank.  It is not supposed to burn in the combustion chamber, and is supposed to lubricate valves, their stems, and the entire upper cylinder area on its way in and out of the combustion chamber.  It is supposed to help protect these areas by reducing the cylinder temperatures, especially if it is drawn into the cylinders from an outside holding tank.  It is supposed to soften carbon deposits on piston tops and valve surfaces, or prevent the formation by keeping those parts wet with itself.   It is my understanding that this oil distinguishes itself only in that it will not burn in the combustion chamber and thus not foul anything, and that its primary use is that it lubricates areas that don't see engine oil.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #20 - 06/22/08 at 16:11:15

[quote author=2310160A1710620 link=1214081739/15#19 date=1214175192]KwakNut wrote on 06/21/08 at 17:34:18:
KwakNut, what has your education in the oil industry told you about upper cylinder lubricants such as Marvel Mystery Oil or Redex?  MMV has been used for 60 years or so as an oil mixed in the gas tank or directly drawn into the intake manifold via a valved tank.  It is not supposed to burn in the combustion chamber, and is supposed to lubricate valves, their stems, and the entire upper cylinder area on its way in and out of the combustion chamber.  It is supposed to help protect these areas by reducing the cylinder temperatures, especially if it is drawn into the cylinders from an outside holding tank.  It is supposed to soften carbon deposits on piston tops and valve surfaces, or prevent the formation by keeping those parts wet with itself.   It is my understanding that this oil distinguishes itself only in that it will not burn in the combustion chamber and thus not foul anything, and that its primary use is that it lubricates areas that don't see engine oil.

On the whole, some of those sorts of products are pretty good.  Valves benefit from lubrication, and any surface that can collect carbon and muck benefits from the detergent properties.

What you have to remember though is that fuels, just like oils, come with addictive packs – and they vary hugely.

Buy cheap fuel from an ‘unbranded’ supplier, and there aren’t likely to be lots of additives in it.  Buy from one of the majors, and you’ll get their additives, which help with keeping things clean (like injectors and the back of valves) and lubricate as well (valves, injector pumps etc).  

Lots of the majors share fuel distribution depots, and when the different tankers from different companies turn up, they add their own additive pack to the tanker as it's being filled – in effect, the good ones are putting their own version of Redex in at the pump.

If you want to recover a gummed up old motor, Redex-type products are great because you can add them in greater concentration.  If you want a healthy engine to last, you can either feed it on good quality fuel, or feed it cheap fuel and try to compensate with additives - which probably costs more in the long run than buying the better fuel!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #21 - 06/22/08 at 19:22:03

The Seafoam I purchased was $5.00

By the time I buy the naptha, alcohol and pale etc, figure out the percentage to use, find something to mix it into and then get it in the tank...well, the tin of Seafoam is just easier and cheaper.

And thanks for all the info about the multiple uses of Coleman fuel...!  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #22 - 06/22/08 at 19:37:36

Hmmm...  I just bought a little can of Seafoam yesterday for $8.00.  I think I got robbed.   Angry

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #23 - 06/23/08 at 05:21:25

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/22/08 at 19:37:36:
Hmmm...  I just bought a little can of Seafoam yesterday for $8.00.  I think I got robbed.   Angry

Wallyworld is cheaper than Auto Zone.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #24 - 06/24/08 at 15:38:50

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 06/22/08 at 19:37:36:

I paid $9 at AutoZone the other day but Wally world doesn't have it here.

Seafoam certainly worked for me the other day after getting the bad gas. I  put about 3-4 oz in a full tank then ran that through. Did one gallon with about  an ounce and then another gallon with an ounce. By the third the Savage was running great.

Now that I'm back from my trip I'll get the carb cleaned properly. And have the bike gone over correctly but another mechanic.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 06/24/08 at 17:49:40

Littlebird your carb is cleaned and if runs good i see no reason to mess with it.An old mans point of view. Seaform here 6.95 at walmart

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #26 - 06/24/08 at 18:45:13

Went to Wally World here and not only did they not have Seafoam but no MC oil as well.  Salesperson said "you need to go to our other store on the other side of the city to get MC stuff".  Sigh.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #27 - 06/25/08 at 03:05:04

bill67 wrote on 06/24/08 at 17:49:40:
 Littlebird your carb is cleaned and if runs good i see no reason to mess with it.An old mans point of view. Seaform here 6.95 at walmart

Thanks Bill. It ran fine on the trip aside from the snapped o ring. I'll just keep seafoam handy just in case. It sure worked a miracle for me.

IP Logged
torque1257
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 06/26/08 at 04:03:01

[font=Sans-Serif]My father is a mechanic and he has used seafoam for years. I have used seafoam since I started driving... a few tips...

1) there is the possibility that it will remove and or soften the carbon build ups that are the only barrier between lubricant and the outside world, it can cause leaks when placed it oil reservoirs. I have not used it in my bike yet. that being said add it to the oil run the car/bike a bit until you get whiteish smoke or it is at normal temps for about five minutes and then shut off. allow to sit for a few minutes and then immediately drain and replace oil. driving with this in your oil is not a good idea. if you have very old gaskets that you are unsure of the integrity of, be shy of putting anything in the oil.

2) as for use as a gas additive to help injectors and carbs and whatnot... I swear by it. it wont drastically or immediately increase gas mileage to miraculous numbers but it will make a noticeable difference. I have never had a car with more than 15 gallon tank and I used to run a can through the car vi the gas tank every six months or if I as hauling a trailer or anything with my jeep.
[/font]

IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #29 - 07/01/08 at 18:28:09

The thing I love about this site is how we all have the same questions and similar experiences.  I just bought a can of the seafoam at O'Reilly tonight ($7.99!!!) and wasn't sure how much to put in.  Thanks for the advice.  I'll add 2 oz., run it through and then add another ounce per gallon for the next couple tanks.  I'll let everyone know how it works.  Of course, it seems like everyone here already knows.  Guess it's my turn to find out.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seafoam dose for Suzi?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.