Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike cutting out and stalling while riding (Read 169 times)
jakano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike cutting out and stalling while riding
07/27/08 at 19:10:52

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the board and new to Savage riding and I had a problem I was hoping you folks could help me with. My bike is a 97 savage with some kind of after market or modified stock exhaust (i have no idea which but it seems louder than a stock exhaust would be).

I was riding to work the other morning on the freeway and out of no where my bike started sputtering and trying to die. I of course was at freeway speeds of around 65-70 mph. I was watching the RPM gauge (add on piece) and it was dropping from 4000 down to 1000 then back up. It did eventually die on me but I was able to restart it while I was still moving at around 50 mph. It did this the entire ride to work. This was a little frightening to go through on the freeway in morning rush hour traffic as you could imagine.

I finally made it to work and parked the bike. When I left for the day it did all of this again so I didnt try to ride on the freeway any more but instead got off and took surface streets. I made it a few more miles until it finally died for good and I couldn't get it running again.
I am assuming there is a problem with the carb but wasn't quite sure and I didnt want to go tearing it apart and find out that wasn't the case.

We have owned this bike for several years but it has been my wife's bike (I had a harley) and she never had this problem. The bike has always had the back firing problem which I assumed was from the previous owner putting on the different exhaust and maybe not rejetting the carb. I really like riding this bike and want to fix this problem but am not really sure where to begin.  

I went today to pick up the bike and when I got home It started right up but I didn't try to ride it for fear of getting stranded again. It seems to me to be a crab problem all the way since it really felt like it was  starving for fuel but I am no mechanic.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Bike cutting out and stalling while riding
Reply #1 - 07/27/08 at 19:15:48

The first thing I would try is:  Set the petcock to "Pri" and see how it runs.  There are other steps, but take them one at a time.  If you do 9 things at once, you won't know which one fixed it, so you won't know what the problem was.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 07/27/08 at 19:16:53

First step insure adequate amount of fuel or go on reserve, check vacuum line from back of fuel valve to intake near carb for kinking, broken or porus and not allowing enough vac signal to fuel tap. There are many discussions on this board about your concern. Seek and yee shall find more than you ever wanted to know. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - 07/27/08 at 19:55:54

My bike has done this to me twice after extended high speed runs.  I will try to leave it on PRI if I go on the tollway.  I don't take this bike on the tollway much and I never have this problem when riding less than 70 mph.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/27/08 at 21:02:47

If she runs fine in prime then most likely you need a new vac line (carb to petcock) and don't forget to put clamps on.

The vac supply is a little bit marginal and if there's a leak then the petcock shuts off.

Second possibility is a bad diaphram in the petcock.  check for fuel in the vac line, there shouldn't be any.  If there is either buy a new petcock or convert to manual and throw away the vac line.  Also the diaphram can get hard.

WWW   IP Logged
meck

Woonsocket, RI
Reply #5 - 07/28/08 at 06:17:52

I had the same issue on my '88. The thing that got me confused was that it still had problems idling while in PRI, so I didn't think it was the petcock. However, even in PRI, there still needs to be some vacuum to pull the fuel through. I converted my petcock to manual (see tech section) and it's working great now. I will be ordering a new petcock at some point, but I'm in no rush now. If you do end up doing the mod, be sure to cap off those vac ports properly.

1988 LS650
  IP Logged
jakano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/29/08 at 18:35:03

Fantastic guys thank you so much for the info!!!! I really didn't want to go tearing into a carb at all so I hope this is the problem.

IP Logged
jakano
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/03/08 at 14:18:37

Ok so I finally got a chance today to ride the bike in pri and it is still doing the same thing. So I guess I need to look for some other culprit?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/03/08 at 14:34:27

Run some carburetor cleaner like sea foam in the gas see if that clears it up.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #9 - 08/10/08 at 20:16:29

jakano wrote on 08/03/08 at 14:18:37:
Ok so I finally got a chance today to ride the bike in pri and it is still doing the same thing. So I guess I need to look for some other culprit?

Jak,

The next step would be to disconnect the petcock vacuum line at the petcock.  Plug the petcock vacuum fitting and plug the end of the vacuum line.

If this fixes your problem (as it did mine), you most likely have a leaky petcock diaphragm.

IHTH!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 23:43:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike cutting out and stalling while riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.