Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wiring Question (with pics now) (Read 183 times)
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Wiring Question (with pics now)
06/20/08 at 21:01:21

I'm trying to rebuild an old 86 Savage and I am doing ok so far but I have run into a problem.  The rear turn signals were ripped off so I got new ones.  However the turn signals don't seem to work.  The headlight comes on.  The brake light works.  The front turn signals come on with the headlight and stay on.  They do not work with the switch.  The rear turn signals don't come on at all.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to fix this?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: 06/25/08 at 18:08:17 by ParkerKane »  
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Wiring Question
Reply #1 - 06/20/08 at 21:03:42

Those are running lights in the front.  They are separate from the blinkers.  I'd start by checking power to and then from the switch.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 06/20/08 at 21:05:00

Also make sure you have a flasher unit in it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #3 - 06/20/08 at 21:29:04

I'll check the power thanks.

Funny thing about that relay thing.  I have the pictoral CD from this site (fantastic CD) and for the life of me I can't find the relay and can't figure out where it is supposed to go.  I see it in the pictures on the CD but I can't find it on the bike.  So maybe I just don't have one.  Where the heck would you plug it in though?  I don't see any open sockets or anything.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 06/23/08 at 04:58:54

Relay is under the tank.  

Also check to make sure you have a Ground connection at the lights.  Remember you old school days, you need a complete circuit.

If you don't have a Multi-meter (Voltmeter, Ammeter, Ohmmeter) get one.  Seen them as low as $9.99

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 06/23/08 at 11:39:25

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/23/08 at 04:58:54:
Relay is under the tank

right side up near the neck...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #6 - 06/23/08 at 19:42:09

As far as I can tell it isn't on the right side.  That's where it is on the picture CD but. . .

I traced the wires from under the seat where the turn signals connect and it seems that it comes to the left side under the tank and into a connector with a bunch of other things (headlight?)  Would it be easier if I took a picture?

IP Logged
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #7 - 06/25/08 at 18:07:57

Ok, there are four wires coming from the switch.  Blue and black, blue and green/yellow.

They come down to a connector with the horn wires.

Then I can trace them down under the seat but only the black and the green/yellow wires are there.

The blue wire looks like it goes over to the right side where the relay is supposed to be.  Does this look right?  Is this where the relay is supposed to be and I just don't have one?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: Wiring Question (with pics now)
Reply #8 - 06/25/08 at 18:43:54

I don't know right off the top of my head, but on mine there is a square black box mounted directly in front of and slightly above that round solenoid shown in your last picture (on the right side of the pic).  It looks sort of relayish to me. I can't see one in your photo, but it might be just off camera.  Is it there?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #9 - 06/25/08 at 19:25:30

Nope, not off camera.  No relay on that side.  But I'm assuming that is where is is supposed to go and that is what those wires connect to.  But the connectors look nothing like the one on the picture CD.  

Anybody with an 86 or 87 that has wires that look like that that connect to the relay?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #10 - 06/25/08 at 19:30:26

My '87 is intact at the moment and must stay that way lest I break something before the big trip.  I'll go shoot a picture of the '88 and put it up for you to see.  Standby about five...

Okay.  Here's a picture of that side of my '88.  The loose connector that is sticking out toward the camera and looks like an old cigarette butt was just shoved in behind the relay.  It was loose.  I'm guessing it has no purpose, but I don't know for sure.

The fact is, I don't know anything helpful to tell you, except "here's a picture."  I hope it's of some use.

ParkerKane
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!  It
really does.

South Jersey
Reply #11 - 06/25/08 at 19:57:44

It looks like the big square thing is the relay and the thing under it is the connector?

I don't think I have one of those.   Hmmmm

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:24:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Wiring Question (with pics now)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.