Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
deepest exhaust.... straight pipe? (Read 605 times)
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

deepest exhaust.... straight pipe?
06/19/08 at 06:57:56

I was wondering what exhaust would make my 2000 savage sound the "biggest"... i might go straight pipe, but i dont want it to sound like a ninja with the muffler cut off.

has anyone had any experiance with straight pipe exhaust on their s40/savage? i figured i could put in some kind of baffle to get past my inspection sticker. Grin

IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Re: deepest exhaust.... straight pipe?
Reply #1 - 06/19/08 at 07:10:49

Unless you live in the dessert or way out in the country, your neighbors wil be out to get you if you put on a straight-through!  Shocked  That engine is incredibly loud.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/19/08 at 07:17:34

I live in MA. but we have quite a few loud bikes riding around.

The stock exhaust on the savage is just WAY too mellow. i feel like im riding a Ninja 250 or somthing. what about straight pipe with some kind baffle?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 06/19/08 at 07:25:40

A HD Dyna Sreaming Eagle slip on muffler will make the bike real loud too.....    Grin

My friend said he can hear my rumble from blocks away.    And it make the HD drag pipe guys do a double take.....

I like the rumble of the engine when using the engine braking.... (yea, I know there is a whole other thread somewhere why you souldn't do that).

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/19/08 at 07:40:31

i was actually thinking about getting the screaming eagle. my buddy has a set off of his softail night train. maybe ill offer him a few bucks for it. what kinda modding did you have to do to fit it? any pipe bending? obviously re-jetted?

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 06/19/08 at 07:25:40:
A HD Dyna Sreaming Eagle slip on muffler will make the bike real loud too.....    Grin

My friend said he can hear my rumble from blocks away.    And it make the HD drag pipe guys do a double take.....

I like the rumble of the engine when using the engine braking.... (yea, I know there is a whole other thread somewhere why you souldn't do that).  

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 06/19/08 at 08:08:19

The Dyna muff's are a semi bolt up.     Their bracket does line up with our hanger.  Not sure about the night train, softail. The Suzuki OEM muffler gasket doesn't fit so I had to use a sheet of aluminun  cut to fit and muffler cement (tube from Auto-Zone).  For the bolt to mount it,  I used one from my stock pile.   I reused the OEM heat shield but most people buy smaller ones.

see: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?;action=display;num=1190410150

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 06/19/08 at 09:00:51

I'll go out on a limb and say there's not a straight pipe made that's any where near the sound out of a megaphone - a supertrap with this end plate when you gas it does scream - not too bad at idle

IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/19/08 at 09:20:18

they might sound good. but i cant stand the look of the megaphone. id rather have a slash cut or straight cut basic pipe.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 06/19/08 at 09:43:13

got the 3" hard chrome slash cut on my 06 deep enuff harley riders dont like being behind me @ hwy speeds...had a couple diff pipes one straight a hd can or two like this the best if you can get one...
read tech section for muff adaptor piece i didnt like shootin my rear brake lever and cable w/exhaust gasses...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #9 - 06/19/08 at 09:47:10

rpgpgmr wrote on 06/19/08 at 07:10:49:
Unless you live in the dessert or way out in the country, your neighbors wil be out to get you if you put on a straight-through!  Shocked  That engine is incredibly loud.
when i drive out between our camper and the neighbors house (4' path)im idling..still found a hand full of assorted nails rivet pins and screws in my track..
spotted b4 getting a flat..hopefully it was from the tech that serviced the neighbors ac and not intentional..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #10 - 06/19/08 at 11:15:55

thumperclone wrote on 06/19/08 at 09:43:13:
got the 3" hard chrome slash cut on my 06 deep enuff harley riders dont like being behind me @ hwy speeds...had a couple diff pipes one straight a hd can or two like this the best if you can get one...
read tech section for muff adaptor piece i didnt like shootin my rear brake lever and cable w/exhaust gasses...

Had a SE turnout pipe on mine.  My buddy wouldn't ride on next to or behind me because the exhaust kept hitting him.  I'm putting a stock dyna muffler on it now.  SE turnout was too loudish.  Got to be anoying after a while on a trip.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
dills84

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/19/08 at 11:30:40

well i just won an auction on ebay for a screaming eagle straight cut slip fit PRO II... now i just need to figure  out how im gonna mount it.

do you guys think this will do the trick? i got it cheap enough. (45 bucks!)

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #12 - 06/20/08 at 11:28:03

Gary On A Savage wrote on 06/19/08 at 11:15:55:

Had a SE turnout pipe on mine.  My buddy wouldn't ride on next to or behind me because the exhaust kept hitting him.  I'm putting a stock dyna muffler on it now.  SE turnout was too loudish.  Got to be anoying after a while on a trip.

Just did that a week and a half ago.  Not so sure I like it.  Too quite.   Miss the uniqueness.  Now working on a better baffle to insert into the front of the SE turn-out.

---
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 06/20/08 at 15:15:17

I think lots of pipes are better Looking than the Supertrapp. I have a Supertrapp,tho, because the function is so good, Ill put up with "less than pretty" to haVe excellent performance & tuneability.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
fishtail
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/21/08 at 00:31:31

I have a fishtail pipe off an old HD and it is L O U D! I picked it up at a biker junkyard and am not even sure if you can buy on of these anymore.  I paid $20 for it and it fits really well.  I'll get a pic up one of these days.  I go by V-twins and drown them out all the time. Seriously.  My Savage is as loud as a HD and louder than some I've heard.  So, I recommend a fishtail if you can find one.  You'll have to find a way to brace it to the frame, which isn't all that hard...just need a chrome band of some sort.  Hope this helps.

The poor have little, beggars none; the rich too much, enough not one.
-Benjamin Franklin
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › deepest exhaust.... straight pipe?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.