Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dodging the Belt Pully Bullet... (Read 803 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Dodging the Belt Pully Bullet...
06/18/08 at 10:27:02

So I'd already been hearing the "Wheel of Fortune" noise from the belt pulley area on 99 #2 for about the last week (150 miles or so) and was considering the sprocket and chain conversion anyways...

And the "Wheel of Fortune" thread got me to thinking I'd better check the situation out before I made any other plans for that bike. Looks like I may have dodged a bullet on this one. When I first removed the pulley nut, the splines and pulley all seemed to look good. Then I remembered to remove the bend-over locking washer so I could see the gears mating better.

Then things didn't look so good, and tapping on the pulley with a dead-blow hammer made it wobble. Scenes of splitting crankcases and changing shafts next winter started dancing through my head. (A real nightmare!) But then I know that taking a close-up picture of small details like this can tell more than the naked eye:

Looks like the shaft splines may have survived. Sure glad I didn't ride it any farther before checking it. That might have torn everything up real good!

The way it is; Looks like I might be able to clean up the shaft and get me some sprockets and chain and have me some highway gearing going. I've seen O-ring chain on eBay cheaper than anywhere else so far; but I might lean towards an all-in-one matching tempered alloy kit if anyone knows where to get them reasonable?  Cheesy

« Last Edit: 06/18/08 at 14:32:49 by Rockin_John »  
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Re: Dodging the Belt Pully Bullet...
Reply #1 - 06/18/08 at 10:34:24

Hey Rockin -  How many miles do you have on your bike??  If I remember correctly in the other thread you mentioned, that particular bike had less that 10K on it.  I'm just curious, for my 1997 has 1300 miles on it and Im wondering if I ought to plan a chain conversion for the Thump once the riding season is over.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/18/08 at 13:56:21

Were you getting any slippage? I am getting slippage like a bad clutch but i've already replaced most parts in that area and i'm trying to figure out if there is anything else that could be slipping.  The belt is one of them.  However, I feel that if my pulley or belt were wearing down it would be all or nothing.  Was your bike still pulling when you accelerated or did you have time when the engine RPM would increase but the speed wouldn't?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 06/18/08 at 14:12:26

Educatedredneck wrote on 06/18/08 at 10:34:24:
Hey Rockin -  How many miles do you have on your bike??  If I remember correctly in the other thread you mentioned, that particular bike had less that 10K on it.  I'm just curious, for my 1997 has 1300 miles on it and Im wondering if I ought to plan a chain conversion for the Thump once the riding season is over.

Nope... That's my old 87 that only has 7k miles on it. This 99 has 12 close to 13k miles on it. The other 99 is close to 29k and rolling towards 30!

From the number and frequency of problems associated with this pulley, I'd recommend checking the torque on the nut at least as frequent as each rear tire change. Maybe 6-8k would be best to catch problems before they happen. (If someone were so inclined, they could no doubt look in the books for Suzuki's recommended interval of maintenance on the pulley, but obviously I hadn't checked it yet.

Gee... wonder what else I'm overlooking??? Think I'll crack the books and see what other PM (Periodic Maintenance) I should be checking on these bikes!  Cheesy

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 06/18/08 at 14:25:15

toddlamp8 wrote on 06/18/08 at 13:56:21:
Were you getting any slippage? I am getting slippage like a bad clutch but i've already replaced most parts in that area and i'm trying to figure out if there is anything else that could be slipping.  The belt is one of them.  However, I feel that if my pulley or belt were wearing down it would be all or nothing.  Was your bike still pulling when you accelerated or did you have time when the engine RPM would increase but the speed wouldn't?

Nope, no slippage at all yet. I'm not a regular at smoking burnouts, but I do regularly launch the bike fairly hard and shift hard. Frankly, I'm surprised that pulley has held up for at least a couple of hundred miles since I had first noticed noise from it.

I assumed that there was just a slight pulley mis-alignment causing the belt to ride up the edge of the pulley some; and that was causing the noise. I had no idea how serious the problem was getting. It now appears that my complacency was heading me for serious trouble!  Embarrassed

For diagnostic purpose, if you have a "slipping" problem; I'd not look at this problem for that symptom. I'll bet when this gear goes, it strips all at once. As it appears mine was on the verge of doing.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 06/18/08 at 15:00:22

Hey I've seen one like that before!

how much torque was on the nut when you removed it?

no idea if these bikes ship with the back tire in place or if that is part of the dealer setup when they come out of the crate.

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #6 - 06/18/08 at 15:18:10

D@mn you guys and your problems...

It's like a guy at work having a heart attack.  Within 2 weeks, everyone in the building is having their cholesterol checked.

After reading the post, I went down to the garage.  My trusty torque wrench in hand, I proceeded to pull the pulley off my bike.

Wouldn't you know, but mine was loose too.  I had the wrench set to 65ft/lbs (never reset it from my last project) and it never clicked when I started to back the nut off.

Fortunately, it wasn't loose enlough to introduce much free-play, but I have been hearing the 'wheel of fortune' sound comming from that pulley for a month now.

I pulled the lock washer off and inspected.  Hooray, no wear on my splines or the shaft.

I put it back together, added some red thread locker to the shaft, retorqued the nut and took it for a ride.

No more 'wheel of fortune' sound!  No more belt noise of any sort.  Most important, no more vibration through the foot peg!

I know this one is going on my list of nuts to check at every oil change.  I'm afraid to think how much it would cost to replace that output shaft....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 06/18/08 at 15:24:32

at least on the '95 it seemed the pully was the softer of the two ....

RED thread locker - isn't that the stuff it takes a flamethrower and sledgehammer to break looooose?

IP Logged
Bleemus

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mt Pleasant, SC
Reply #8 - 06/18/08 at 15:33:43

Man, what a great Fu$%ING site this is.  Everyone shares tips and tricks and it looks like a few people have averted disaster because of it!

I am hoping to be a Savage owner next week. People with bike for sale are due back from trip on Tuesday and I am not going to leave them alone till I have their bike in my garage. My torque wrench is waiting!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 06/18/08 at 17:04:02

Reelthing wrote on 06/18/08 at 15:00:22:

no idea if these bikes ship with the back tire in place or if that is part of the dealer setup when they come out of the crate.

Yep, I noticed the picture of yours that looked about like mine from your link in the other thread on the subject.

As for how much torque was on it (how tight it was) I couldn't say; because I used the easy way out and just used my 1/2" impact driver set on 4 (high) to remove the nut. I know my old impact is powerful, and it had to hammer a few seconds with over 120 psi on it. I had to hold my foot against the tire to keep it from picking up speed  Grin  And gave it several bursts before it broke loose, so it was pretty darn tight!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 06/18/08 at 17:05:07

Just ran out and checked for a loose nut on my '02. Looks like the only one is in the seat behind the handle bars. I set my tourque wrench at 85 ftlbs and tried to tighten the pully nut and nothing even moved. Feel a lot better, you know it's one of those things that I've been meaning to get around to and finally did.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #11 - 06/18/08 at 17:12:08

Reelthing wrote on 06/18/08 at 15:24:32:
at least on the '95 it seemed the pully was the softer of the two ....

RED thread locker - isn't that the stuff it takes a flamethrower and sledgehammer to break looooose?

Same here on the pulley seeming to be the softer of the two.

And yes if you use Loc-tite brand thread lock the red stuff for setting studs will set so hard that a torch, cheater bar and sledge hammer will just rip the threads out. I know, because I've done that trick a few times.  Grin

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 06/18/08 at 18:28:48

Hey Rockin_John, make sure you order a new seal for the driveshaft when you order the new pulley. It doesn't cost that much, and will save you having to take it apart again when it starts leaking oil after a couple k. I found out the hard way.  :'( Also get a new lock washer and nut too. Don't trust the old nut is not stripped or cracked that might caused it to loosen to begin with.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #13 - 06/18/08 at 22:41:01

Rogue_Cheddar wrote on 06/18/08 at 18:28:48:
Hey Rockin_John, make sure you order a new seal for the driveshaft when you order the new pulley. It doesn't cost that much, and will save you having to take it apart again when it starts leaking oil after a couple k. I found out the hard way.  :'( Also get a new lock washer and nut too. Don't trust the old nut is not stripped or cracked that might caused it to loosen to begin with.

Thanks for the reminders, I'm sure that they will apply even though I intend to do a chain conversion and new tires while I've got it apart.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #14 - 06/19/08 at 04:04:08

Reelthing wrote on 06/18/08 at 15:00:22:

They ship with the back wheel on......front fender, and front wheel, handlebars, and sissy bar are off.    rear tire nested, front axle bolted in the crate and stablilized by a bracket at the bar clamps.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dodging the Belt Pully Bullet...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.