Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Carb options (Read 86 times)
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Carb options
06/16/08 at 19:21:16

I think I am having fueling issues and i'm looking for different carb options.  I don't need, nor do I want to spend the money for,a performance carb.  I know that I can get a used OEM carb on eBay (or spend a fortune probably from the dealer) but what else is there?  Is it as easy as matching up the intake and engine side and that's it?  I would like to find a new, inexpensive carb to replace my possibly worn-out stock one.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carb options
Reply #1 - 06/16/08 at 20:07:52

The cheapest and easiest route is to rebuild the one you have, it's not that hard really and it costs next to nothing.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
toddlamp8

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 06/17/08 at 06:11:07

I went through and thoroughly cleaned mine out but i'm wondering if it's just old.  

What size is the stock carb?  Are there any other carbs that are a close match and can be swapped in?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 06/17/08 at 07:33:38

The stock carb is designated a 40mm though the inside of the throat narrows a good bit.
From a $$ standpoint, I have to agree that rebuilding the old one with a new set of jets, needle, and gaskets would probably be less expensive...assuming the slide with the rubber diaphram is in good condition and without any air leaks.
If you want a new carb then the least expensive carb you can get is a Mikuni VM roundslide carb.    The 36mm size is the size you would want for a stock engine.  A modified engine with larger piston, more compression, perf carb, perf cam, etc,  could use a 38mm or even perhaps 40mm size, but the 36mm can handle anything a Savage engine can throw at it...even a highly modified one.  
The larger the carb bore the slower the air velocity in the carb throat, and the slower the air the less responsiveness/power and smooth running  you get in the low to midrange.  A large carb bore will benefit max power at max throttle.  But since we spend most of our riding in the low-midrange then that is where we want to maximize the power & torque.

Anyway, the Mikuni VM roundslide 36mm is the best bang for the buck I have found, that is why I use it in the carb kits.  At a bare minimum you need the carb with some extra jets for tuning, a new rubber mounting flange (different size from the stock unit) and a new throttle cable to match the carb to the Savage hand throttle.

You will not find any replacement carburetor I am aware of that you can just slip in place of the stock carb due to the mounting and cable hookup issues.
Keep in mind that the VM carb is not just a performance carb, in fact it would better be termed an efficient carb.  A stock carb is designed with restrictions for the purpose of minimizing exhaust emmisions.  The VM is just a good basic carb that will allow the engine to breathe in a normal fashion, and the result is more power, torque and responsiveness, especially when combined with a better flowing muffler...there again allowing the engine to breathe normally without restrictions.

I can put together a bare bones setup or if you want to do it yourself I can give you some of the info you would need to get the correct flange and cable you need to go with the carb.

One other option is if you can find an inexpensive 38mm Edelbrock Quicksilver on ebay, they will fit the stock mounting flange fairly well but will still need a new throttle cable.  Also, it will be necessary to purchase additional needles so it can be tuned to match the Savage.
These are good carbs and work very well on the Savage when properly tuned.  In the past they were easy to find on ebay for cheap but that is not the case now days, the price is usually well over $100 BUT if you are patient you can on occasion find one for less.  I found one a couple of months back for $50; it needed A LOT OF CLEANING but is in decent condition with some slight wear on the slide.  A lot of dirt/grit will grind down the aluminum quickly.

Ruminate a bit on the info, and others will add their perspective as well.  Let us know what you decide.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 12:20:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.