Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEW to the site, new to suzuki...hell new to bikes (Read 284 times)
89mustanglx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NEW to the site, new to suzuki...hell new to bikes
06/12/08 at 18:32:57

As the subject says...  I am completely new to all this stuff.  I recently picked up a 1996 suzuki savage ls650 with like only 2,300 miles on it that is going to be my starter bike.  I am real big into cars and i know my way in and out of the internal combustion engine. ( i actuially had to get this bike running ).  I really like the bike and will be plating it soon, but i need some advice / parts.  The bike had been laid down at one point in time and ended up breaking the windshield ( now removed ) bending the right side foot peg ( when on the bike ) and bending the right riser back.  

My first questions are:

does anyone have thses parts or know where i can get them cheap? ( chicago burbs )
does anyone know where i can get aftermarket foot pegs and risers?
does anyone know where i can get ape hangers and longer cables?
Are there any performance upgrades for this thumper? DIY is cheapest and best.

THANKS, DARREN

IP Logged
ChicagoRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Chicago suburbs
Re: NEW to the site, new to suzuki...hell new to b
Reply #1 - 06/12/08 at 18:52:28

Welcome abord. I'm in the west Chicago burbs, where abouts are you?

You can try ebay for cheap parts and also The Marektplace link on this website.  
Here ia local dealership I've bought oil/filter stuff http://www.dgy.com

If you're tall check out my seat mod:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213209409

IP Logged
89mustanglx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/12/08 at 20:37:29

ChicagoRider wrote on 06/12/08 at 18:52:28:
Welcome abord. I'm in the west Chicago burbs, where abouts are you?

You can try ebay for cheap parts and also The Marektplace link on this website.  
Here ia local dealership I've bought oil/filter stuff http://www.dgy.com

If you're tall check out my seat mod:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213209409

I am south west burbs...  I know where DGY is at and i was planning on crusing up there for the maintenance parts anyway.  I looked up online the parts i need and they are EXPENCIVE!  The air filter alone is like 25 bucks!  anyway, i am going to change the oil and filter and make my own intake.  Height wise, i am about 5'11" ish.  I really want to lower the bike to be honest.  I only weigh 160 so i dont think that i need all that much of suspension anyway.

Thanks for the input.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/12/08 at 22:46:07

dont lower it quite yet. I only weihg about 20 lbs more than you but...well...I love the freakin thing but the rear suspension sucks. I can live with it but it could be tons upon tons UPON tons better. #3 is the best setting for me and with the roads around here Its still just ridiculous sometimes. All things being considered though the roads in my area could use just as much improvement as the suspension.

Also mod-wise. Talk to Lancer for performance mods and Slavy and/or Verslagen for safety mods. Lurk around a bit and read up on the cam chain tensioner. at 2k mi I'm certain you're okay for now but its a design flaw issue that will need addressed fairly soon and I cant think of a better way to address it than with the moded parts developed by Slavy and Verslagen. Cant comment on Lancer's products but many people here are very very pleased with them and aside form actually purchasing the bike verslagen's moded cam chain tensioner is very likely the best money I've ever spent. No joke.

Lastly but by the FAR the most important thing is ride safe and enjoy.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #4 - 06/12/08 at 22:47:15

89mustanglx wrote on 06/12/08 at 20:37:29:
...  looked up online the parts i need and they are EXPENCIVE!  The air filter alone is like 25 bucks! ....
Click for link:  
Cheap DIY Air Filter

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/13/08 at 05:45:06

I dont know how Bent the peg is, but the design allows for quite a bit of straigtening.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/14/08 at 05:02:19

The great thing about the Savage and this site is how many low buck things most of us have done.  As a shole, the Savage owners here seem to be older, frugal (cheap), and willing to DIY.  The Savage is a solid, basic bike with some $ shortcuts by Suzuki.  The group has been ingenius enough to try stuff and pass along what works.  There are probablu enough takeoff parts from all the bobber fans here to build a bike.................  Post your needs and somebodymay have it.

I did a variation of the filter trick, I was hesitant to got to the foam air filter even though I knew it would flow great, I also figured that would means less filtering.  I cut out the stock pleated fabric, found a car filter at W mart ($5 for a fram #33??)that had the same approximate width but 2.5 times the length, more pleats / inch, and more depth to the pleats.  I cut enough off of 1 end, trimmed the rubber gasket on it, and used a little caulk to hold it in the frame and it worked fine.  I have enough to do it again.

IP Logged
89mustanglx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/20/08 at 19:16:57

thank you guys for responding to the posts.  I have made a custom set of foot pegs that my buddy is going to take the blueprints (literially written on a napkin) and make me a set of stainless steel pegs.

I also got a set of 8" highway bars on the way.  We'll see how they turn out. I really want to go the bobber route, and cut up the back fender, take the front one off, make my own exahust and a custom intake.  If i find anything tha works REALLY well, i'll let all you guys know.  Thanks agian.

IP Logged
Todd Perry
YaBB Newbies

Straighten up and
fly right....

Orlando, FL
Reply #8 - 06/21/08 at 16:13:40

Quote:
I really like the bike and will be plating it soon, but i need some advice / parts.

Just a comment from another "newbie" - from what I understand, most new riders put a bike over at LEAST once. Actually, the way my buddy/mentor put it was that "there are two kinda bikers. Those that have put a bike over, and those that are lying about it."

for the record, I'm part of the first group....

So you MIGHT wanna think about waiting on the plating or extensive mods a bit until you get a bit more experience riding. I certainly am planning on waiting a while before I get anything "good" for the Savage I'm looking at....Just a thought, though - your call.   Roll Eyes  (Sometimes I know the wrenching is the fun part.)

« Last Edit: 06/21/08 at 17:33:11 by Todd Perry »  

Which way to the BBQ joint?
  IP Logged
89mustanglx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/24/08 at 22:30:45

well...so far its up and running great besides running a little lean all the time.  When ever i shut her off there is a LOUD ASS  BANG! and a 6" flame out the tail pipe.  I learned that if i pull the choke out as i shut it off, she wont backfire.  

BTW...  does anyone know if you can buy or put a hitch on these bikes.  I know they are light bikes, and the brakes really dont need any more stress than they already have, but i just thought i would ask.  I always have parts to run from here to there and i have a small motorcycle trailer that would look great behind the bike. lol.  

thanks guys.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 06/24/08 at 23:51:34

89mustanglx wrote on 06/24/08 at 22:30:45:
....BTW...  does anyone know if you can buy or put a hitch on these bikes.  I... have a small motorcycle trailer that would look great behind the bike....
Guy here made his own hitch, I plan on making one for myself.  I have an extra front wheel, will be getting another soon -- 19" wire wheels will make for a sharp trailer.

WWW   IP Logged
89mustanglx
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/26/08 at 20:39:57

sounds good.  the trailer i have just has little 8" trailer tires on it, but they are aluminum rims and its a light weight fiberglass body.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:21:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › NEW to the site, new to suzuki...hell new to bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.