Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Yet Another Seat Question (Read 141 times)
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Yet Another Seat Question
06/10/08 at 22:56:05

After 1200 miles, I see the need for something more comfortable. I've read every post I could find in this forum on seats. I've paid attention to all the mods. Some are a hit, some a miss; but none seem to "nail it" (with the possible exception of the sprung solo). In the end Smiley, it seems even with a "great" mod, everyone keeps wishing for a more comfortable seat.

In reading on seats in other forums and articles on motorcyle seats, one common thread that keeps turning up is that cruiser seats are uncomfortable by design. Critics (largely European) point out that its the pan design that forces your butt into one position, and holds it there, that is the source of the discomfort. The standard "bench" type seat by contrast is held up to be the more comfortable ride, and my own experience on other bikes would seem to bear this out.

So my question, has anyone ever gone there? The posts I've read all seem to involve moding the pan, padding the pan, replacing the pan - with another pan (Harley seat). Has anyone eliminated the pan and gone with a straight, bench type seat? Could the current seat be added to and recovered in such a way as to eliminate the pan? I think the flare at the butt might be of some use, but keep the hieght of the seat unifrom.

On my post carb mod run the other night, I put in some of my longest single miles on the bike. Approching the 100 mile mark, my backside was begging for relief. I was riding the pillion at one point, and thinking "this isn't too bad". Now, given the comfort and construction of the pillion seat, that should tell you something about the level of my discomfort. I did like it though. The hieght was right. It got me to thinking about a traditional motorcycle seat. Higher up, able to slide back and forth. Better/more riding positions. Not feeling as cramped in the saddle. It might even eliminate the desire for forward controls in some cases.

So how 'bout it Savages? What do you think. Worthy idea, or did my ride the other night crush the thinking part of my brain? Cheesy
Ride safe,
Jay

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Yet Another Seat Question
Reply #1 - 06/11/08 at 04:49:07

Here's a news flash:

No motorcycle seat is 100% comfortable.

It doesn't matter if you have a $20.00 bicycle seat or a $1200.00 corbin custom, your backside will begin to ache if you're in the saddle long enough.

The problem is circulation and compression.  You're pressing all of your upper body mass into a relatively small area.  

I think the Savage gets alot of attention because everybody sees it as an entry level bike.  Entry level means cheap.  Cheap means you can do better.

Theres a reason you can find all of the Harley seats really cheap on Ebay.  They become uncomfortable too.

I have a gel/memory foam/rigid foam/fiber-glass combination on my seat.  Even with all that padding, it still gets uncomfortable after a while.

There are only 2 things you can do.  Get used to it (there's no such thing as a perfect seat) or keep searching, spending money and learning that answer 1 is the correct one.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/11/08 at 06:28:16

skrapiron,

Thanks for the reply. Wise words. I think I'll heed them, and save my self some money and heartache. I may add a gel pad, but that'll be about it. I ever get up to Pa, the first rounds on me! Wink
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #3 - 06/11/08 at 07:11:54

As mentioned before,the riding/seating "position" seems to be the problem.

If knees are higher than lap,it will be uncomfortable.No matter what seat you have.

If sitting on the pillion was more comfortable,it may have been that it was because your legs had more room.....knees were at same height or below lap. Instead of above it.

Just something to think about  Smiley

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #4 - 06/11/08 at 07:12:29

During the schoolyear, I ride about 45 minutes each way.  Now I know that our tanks hold about 100 miles worth of fuel.  I am wondering if the "designers" realized that with the seat as stock, 100 miles was all our butts could take.  After my morning ride, I'm just starting to get a little uncomfortable.  Add another hour and I'll be hurting a bit.

just my  2 Lincoln-heads

T

Because I can!
  IP Logged
gj859
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

winchester ky
Reply #5 - 06/11/08 at 15:11:10

I bought a valkyre seat on ebay and put it on, but it looked sorta goofy so i put the stock seat back on. On weekends i ride about 100 miles a day my but is kinda sore and tingly, but i'm gettin to where i kinda dig it. Guess i'm a weirdo.

We're at the mercy of time, and time don't got no mercy.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 06/11/08 at 17:43:10

Check out Chicago-rider's seat  modification - getting close to your train  of thought?

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 06/11/08 at 17:43:58

I flattened mine out and made it wider and taller.  More of my weight is now on my butt instead of my midline pieces. (Can I say that with ladies present?)  Then I cut down the pillion seat to approximately match the height of the front.  I love it.  If this is the "bench" style you mentioned, then go for it.  I raised mine about 1 1/2 inches, which changed my posture and brought my hips above my knees.  Longest ride to date on this seat, about 180 miles.  No discomfort.  Longest ride on old seat w/o discomfort, 158.3 inches.

Cost me about $20-$30.  I can't remember exactly now.

One of these days I need to snap a picture with the luggage removed so the pillion can be seen.  You'll just have to trust me for now.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/11/08 at 23:53:39

Sandy,
That is pretty close to what I was talking about. Don't know how much difference it will make but my vintage Savage is a 2008 with a one piece seat. Still, I think what you've done could be adapted to mine. Could I see more pics please? Thanks.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 06/12/08 at 00:02:49

Trippah wrote on 06/11/08 at 17:43:10:
Check out Chicago-rider's seat  modification - getting close to your train  of thought?

This one?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1213209409

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #10 - 06/12/08 at 00:55:59

FreeSpirit,

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Tighten that baby up a little. Put a littel finese on the finish, and that would be sumthin'.
Thanks.
Ride safe,
Jay

Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com