Send Topic Print
Running funny (Read 262 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Running funny
06/09/08 at 15:52:38

Savage is running funny to me  so I need the experts' opinions.

Took her in for her before trip service. They were supposed to do it Wednesday so dropped it off Tuesday night. Called Thursday and they hadn't done it - call on Friday. Called on Friday told to pick her up on Saturday. Had a friend drop me off 11 am Sat and of course they hadn't started on it. Luckily I had a book - it was 94 degrees out and I wasn't walking 5 miles back home.

When I took it home it seemed rough but I was hot and tired and didn't think about it much.

Today I went to go to work. It tried not to start then died. I had to pull the choke to start it - odd since I hadn't had to do that for at least the last 6 weeks or so. Ran for a min, pushed the choke it and it died. Had to start it again with choke pulled out a notch. Went to the post office on the way to work came back wouldn't start without the choke. SHeesh! The ride to work was really rough. Thumpa much heavier and louder and the vibrations at 30 mph are like I get at 65-70. It's been running so smooth!!

Went by the mechanic on the way home. It shouldn't be doing that. Duh! No explanation but if I wanted to I could leave it. Well he finally noticed that there was water in the gas he drained off. HUMMM. I've been saying that. So I brought it home I've got it on prime over night and I will drain the bowl before I leave for work to see if I can get it out without draiining the tank.

The other suggestion was to put 2 capfuls of isopropyl alcohol in the tank as well. Haven't done that without your thoughts.

If it's been sitting out on their lot for 3 days in 94 degree heat rather than in my garage would it all of a sudden run that hard? I know it will run worse in heat and we have really got it bad right now.

To be honest I don;t think they lifted the tank and looked at the plugs on Saturday when they were forced to do the work. I do know they changed the oil!

Thoughts anyone? I leave in a week and I sure don't want trouble.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Re: Running funny
Reply #1 - 06/09/08 at 17:38:09

maybe the idle needs turned up

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #2 - 06/09/08 at 17:51:10

Did that this morning when it first started. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Also forgot to mention when they went to put on the vista cruise - turns out they didn't have the right size anyway after saying they did - they snapped the throttle tube.

They jury rigged it and said it would be fine until I got back then they'd put on a new one.  Huh

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #3 - 06/09/08 at 19:46:39

ALittlebird wrote on 06/09/08 at 15:52:38:
So I brought it home I've got it on prime over night and I will drain the bowl before I leave for work to see if I can get it out without draiining the tank.

Thoughts anyone? I leave in a week and I sure don't want trouble.

Generally speaking, not a good policy.  I've heard it said that this could wreck your brand new oil change.   Since this bike seems to be so simple, and so few things can go wrong with it, there's a chance the problem is in you carburetor.  If the carb lets the gas through overnight, your oil is going to be thin and stinky by morning. :'(

I know gas is grossly expensive, but I think I'd either run it through or drain it and replace it.  Most likely the latter.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/09/08 at 20:11:17

I hope you meant that you're draining it into a bucket and replacing with new.

Their service is typical of people who don't care or are overconfident.

Which is why we generally do our own service.

seems to me you already got trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #5 - 06/09/08 at 21:04:54

I was doing what they told me to do. Great.

Now I'm not only incredibly concerned but downright scared that I can't make this trip and I'm down to the wire.

They are long time mechanics and seem to care. They certainly know I am going on a long trip solo but I also think there is some of that stupid female thing going on.

I'd love to do most of my own maintenance if I could find someone to show me. I am fairly mechanically inclined nut the thought of sitting in the garage with nothing but the Clymers is at best a little daunting.

Unless I got water in the tank from the last fill up and it was bad gas I'm not sure of. But the running hard and loud is a carb problem? It all of a sudden decided to crap out on me?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #6 - 06/09/08 at 21:22:31

There was a bike rally here this weekend,tons of bikes everywhere.

About 8 in front of me pulled into one of  the local gas station,the one where I got bad gas and had to do a complete tune up on my Jeep after getting gas there.I hate that service station now. Roll Eyes

Anyway as they were filing in line to get gas,I wanted to say STOP,dont get gas there!!! But I was on my way to work and late.

Anyway,with the bad gas,my Jeep would,what I call,choke down and almost die going down the road.

I didnt know if I'd make it home. I was told it was the gas I put in it.

What do you guys think? The gas?

Could ALittlebird have the same problem?

It did take a couple of days before the bad gas made my Jeep almost shut down.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #7 - 06/09/08 at 21:27:23

Plus, in the future I want to do what Sandy/Jason did(I think he did this)....get a old bike and learn to work on mine through the old one.

I thought it was a good idea Smiley

That way,especially if you break down on the road,you'll know a little more.

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #8 - 06/09/08 at 21:59:14

I agree but it's not in the budget right now and the way things are  going it might not be.

Unless I could find a rich sugar daddy to make it all better.  Wink

I should be asleep right now but my anxiety level has just sky rocketed and i can't manage it.

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 06/09/08 at 22:15:52

ALittlebird wrote on 06/09/08 at 21:59:14:
I agree but it's not in the budget right now and the way things are  going it might not be.

Unless I could find a rich sugar daddy to make it all better.  Wink

I should be asleep right now but my anxiety level has just sky rocketed and i can't manage it.

Well,if it's the gas that is the problem....then one of the guys needs to tell you how to fix the problem Wink

Do you just drain the gas and refill with good gas,or do you have to do something else? Huh,guys?

I have found though not to worry too much,most things are simple to fix!!

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #10 - 06/09/08 at 22:29:22

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 06/09/08 at 23:43:01

Isopropyll isnt good in the tank. Ive -put denatured in, to capture water, but I wouldnt today. Theres better ways to go about that. I would drain & put in fresh. How did ya get water in?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #12 - 06/10/08 at 02:10:00

I don't know how the water got there. Either in the gas I pumped or in one of massive storms we had last month. But then I' d have had a problem sooner if it was a storm and it was getting in the gas tank through the cap. And it's been fry for a couple of weeks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 06/10/08 at 04:03:07

Letting bike sat over night and then real hot the next day can cause condensation in the tank I would try seafoam in the gas,otherwise I guess to drain tank and put new gas in.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 06/10/08 at 04:47:04

Drain tank (you should be able to do it through the petc--k, maybe the bottom of the carb also, put in new gas and ride for a while..see what happens.  Its the quickest and cheapest fix, esp if it works. I hate to mention it, but taking out the spark plug and cleaning it (assuming its brand new) might be a second level of intervention.

I don't think enough water could get in through a gas cap.

Years ago I was told, and it was unfortuneatley correct at least once, do NOT stop at a filling station if the delivery tanker is there, the sludge etc that collects at the bottom of the tank is stirred up and mixed thoroughy with new gas and it takes a while to settle.

In the don't do what I did column, pay some attention when pumping gas,   I grabbed the deisel and filled up the car.  Very expemsive fillup.
DUH!   Angry

And most importantly, relax and have a great trip..we will all be with you in spirit. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:17:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running funny

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.