Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
4th to 5th gear shifting issue? (Read 219 times)
saratovich

4th to 5th gear shifting issue?
06/07/08 at 15:37:59

Got a 50 miler in today in between the rains.

I noticed that shifting from 4th > 5th sometimes feels like a 1/2 notch that requires a double lift on the shifter to engage 5th gear.

I tried it several times, sometimes it shifts just fine . . . is this normal or another issue?

2003, 2250 miles.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Re: 4th to 5th gear shifting issue?
Reply #1 - 06/07/08 at 15:46:48

That's never happened on mine once.  I don't even get half a click above 4th.  Just hits a wall, no matter how many times I pull up on it.

1987, 5000+ miles. Wink

I don't know about it directly, but I remember reading about it.  Search on "false neutral".  I think that will get you to the thread.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Titaniac
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/07/08 at 17:37:16

I have the same issue.   I bought a 1998 LS650 Savage about three weeks ago.  When I shift from 4th to 5th, especially if the bike hasnt been ran in a day or more, I have to pull up on the shifter and maintain a constant pressure until it "clicks" into place.  Usually takes an extra half second or so until it goes into place.

You're not alone on this one.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 06/07/08 at 18:50:15

What oil are you using?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 06/07/08 at 19:02:14

same here.  I always double clutch when shifting.  Seems to help.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/07/08 at 21:55:26

there's false neutral between 4th and 5th. Sometimes it'll also just stick. I'll shift up but the lever will only go halfway unless I let the clutch out a wee bit, then it goes right into 5th. Between 4th and 5th is such a small jump though I'm often not sure whether or not it's shifted. Check your oil level. Seems to shift much easier when the oil is higher in the sight glass. Other than that my only suggestion is to let the clutch lever out before you let the shift lever drop back down.

IP Logged
MAYES
YaBB Newbies

The SAVAGE beast!!!

Ohio
Reply #6 - 06/08/08 at 05:32:22

AngryI too have this problem. Mine also seemstoo shift hard throughout the gears sometimes. I use the recomended 10/40.My bike has 8000+miles on it

97 Savage stright pipe,One loud thumper.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/08/08 at 07:15:48

Have you guys tried not using the clutch? I use it going into second, but after that, its really not needed. The Jump in gears from 1st to second is pretty big & I have had it Pop out of second after I goosed it, so I use the clutch. Mine feels like it isnt quite "Clicking" into0 5th often, but it always works & later, when I clutch it & try to seat it into fifth better, its always all the way in, so I dont worry,just ride

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 06/08/08 at 07:24:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/08/08 at 07:15:48:
Have you guys tried not using the clutch? I use it going into second, but after that, its really not needed. The Jump in gears from 1st to second is pretty big & I have had it Pop out of second after I goosed it, so I use the clutch. Mine feels like it isnt quite "Clicking" into0 5th often, but it always works & later, when I clutch it & try to seat it into fifth better, its always all the way in, so I dont worry,just ride

I rarely use the clutch at all on the 4-5 shift except when down-shifting. If you feather the throttle back just a bit as you go up from 4th to 5th it will shift so smooth you'll barely be able to feel it. Works well on both my 99s. I also bypass using the clutch on on some other shifting depending on conditions; but up from 4-5 is a consistent thing.

IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #9 - 06/08/08 at 08:07:35

What a relief!!

A big THAKS for the info guys . . . I was fearing the "money pit" was calling again!  Undecided

It's nice to know it's "a Savage thing."

The oil is on the top mark in the sight glass and I'm currently using Rotella 5-40 as the daytime temps on the tundra have been in the 60s and sometimes the low 70s.

Yesterday, it was in the mid 80s. May be time to start using the 15-40.

IP Logged
markbacon
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/08/08 at 18:14:43

I had similar issue in 4->5 changes. When I removed my clutch to replace the cam chain I noticed that the clutch hub nut had loosened, and had a degree or so of play against the bent tabbed washer. In re-assembly I made darn sure the nut was tight and the washer was bent hard up against both faces on a corner. Since then gear changing has been much better across the board.

IP Logged
PhotoProf

Only the mediocre
are always at their
best!

Reply #11 - 06/08/08 at 19:06:32

I also experience a periodic problem going from 4 to 5 on my 07 S-40. If I hold the clutch in for just a tad longer before making the shift, the up-shift seems much better. Sometimes there seems to be an issue ... almost like things aren't meshing... no grinding just difficulty in getting into 5th. Shifts also seem better just to quickly toe up whether it feels like the change has taken place or not. I am running Castrol V-twin synthetic, but this issue was present before changing lubricants.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 06/08/08 at 20:27:50

It'll downshift easy as pie if ya give it a goose just as ya slip it out of gear. The jump from 2 to 1 is so big, IF I do it, I have to be in full race adrenaline, or Ill make a mess of it./

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #13 - 06/09/08 at 14:07:59

I have this problem to, but don't really consider it a "problem".  As mentioned, try bypassing the clutch.  Works like a charm.  If you're not comfortable with that, then just apply steady pressure on the shifter as you shift.  It will fell like it's only going half way in (between 4th and 5th), but keep pulling up with your toes as you let out the clutch and apply the gas, it should slip the rest of the way in.

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
vargas

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/10/08 at 06:40:20

i asked the same question a week or so ago. got mosy of the same replies. one thing that i noticed though was that even when i didn't feel like it clicked all the way into fifth,there were always 4 downshifts back to first. not trying to hijack your post, but how could that be- 4 downshifts without being in 5th?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 19:32:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 4th to 5th gear shifting issue?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.