Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
help!!! savage wont stay running??? (Read 187 times)
orcastrated
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

help!!! savage wont stay running???
05/31/08 at 20:07:21

hi everyone, im new to the forum.  Im actually on here cause my Mom's savage will not stay running? it turns over and fires, idles very rough and weak then dies in about 10-20 seconds.  and if i give it some gas, instantly dies??  any ideas guys????? Embarrassed Embarrassed

also i personally think (and hope) i just need to flush the carb. she hardly started it last summer due to a car acident she was in. i could be completley wrong, so feel free to tell me im wrong, if you know what is wrong with the bike Grin

also ive been searching the tech threads, and i cannot find anything on how to flush the carb???  anyone got any links for me to look at,  pics are good too!!  im pretty sure i know how to do it, but to be safe.

thank you

IP Logged
makk98
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: help!!! savage wont stay running???
Reply #1 - 05/31/08 at 20:45:47

you probably need to clean the carb.take the bowl off the bottom and take out both jets and clean them make sure you can see through the jets wheen done.also check that its getting gas and that the float needle is not stuck, all that will help even if its not the main cause.First check to make sure its getting gas ou of the tank,take the line off the carb open the petcock and see if its getting good gas flow.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #2 - 05/31/08 at 20:51:39

Savage Wahine gives a great step-by-step with pictures here:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1191899985

Give it a minute to load.  It's worth it.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 05/31/08 at 23:25:27

Pull the choke to the 1/2 click & dont give it gas & see if it starts & runs at a higher RPM, if it does, turn the idle adjust screw in a few turns, then try again. It might run rough, but then you can run some sea foam thru it.

OHH yea, drain the bowl, little screw, bottom of bowl. Stick a piece of tubing on & catch it in a glass & see what kind of crap crawls out/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bike-fixer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/02/08 at 12:41:52

The petc0ck has a filtering screen inside the tank. If this has accumulated enough gumminess and debris, it can slow down the passage of fuel so that it is not enough to refill the float bowl fast enough to keep up with the consumption. The engine will starve for gas and die, then after a little time the float bowl is again full and it will run again. To check for this, disconect the fuel hose at the carb and hold a cup under it while turning on the petc0ck. There should be a solid stream of fuel filling the cup. If not, remove and clean the screen. Be sure to re-install with a new seal to prevent leakage.
On newer bikes with the automatic petc0ck, do all the above and disconnect the vacumn line from the right side if the carb too. Put it to your lips and gently create a vacumn to start the flow of fuel. If it fails to flow, clean the screen.
Yes this technique sucks but it works as a diagnostic method.

Bike Fixer

IP Logged
orcastrated
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/03/08 at 07:22:54

thanks guys for the advice!  Grin

IP Logged
orcastrated
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/03/08 at 07:31:57

so to remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb, do i need to remove the tank???

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 06/03/08 at 07:42:34

No but the screws are pretty hard to get off so use good screwdriver or L screwdriver and push hard so not to burr up the screw might need needle nose pliers

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/03/08 at 11:48:06

I'd drain the tank and put fresh stuff in too.

It also sounds like a fuel delivery problem, as you're able to get it started then quits after awhile.

clean petcock, and carb.  just labor, shouldn't have to replace any parts.  Don't get any carb cleaner on any rubber parts or you'll have to replace them.

WWW   IP Logged
orcastrated
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 06/04/08 at 05:44:09

UPDATE ON PROBLEM!

ok so i took your guys advice, and here is what I did.

drained the tank, and put new 92 oct. gas in(even though the other gas was only about 2 weeks old!) Shocked

tested the petcock, and the fuel flows great (no clogged screen) :'(

drained the bottom bowl, and only clean fuel came out, so i removed the bowl, and to my surprise, it was squeaky clean!!!!! Shocked   i checked the jets, also very clean, and the float was too. it moved perfect!  i also flushed the carb, i turned the petcock to PRI, and with the bowl off, i watched the gas easily flow through the carb!!  Undecided

so I have no idea whats going on with this bike?  just to be safe, i also checked the air filter, and it looked brand new!!

her bike is a 2000 savage ls650  with about 2000 miles only! she hardly ever rides it.   now since its getting airflow, and fuel. could it be the spark???  even though it hardly fires up, then dies. could that be a sign of a weak spark???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/25/24 at 20:27:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › help!!! savage wont stay running???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.