Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do it ? (Read 323 times)
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Re: Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do
Reply #15 - 06/02/08 at 04:50:53

J Mac wrote on 06/01/08 at 20:15:20:
LOL.  I still like the "tissue paper and tinfoil" remark.  I'll have you know that I'm about to do the tinfoil mod this week.  If I can afford the tissue paper mod this July, I'm going for it!!

Ahahahahahaha. Yes! Something I can afford myself! Sweet!

In all seriousness though, I think I wouldn't post as much either, with all the problems I keep having with my bike. It all depends on what shape your bike is in. Mine, has 33k miles on it and is an 01'. ..it runs...okay. Could be better, but at least it runs most of the time. I was actually tempted to make a run with my bike from here in FL to Texas to see family.

Anyway, good luck! And if you're near the Auburndale/Lakeland/Orlando area, look me up! My boyfriend and his Dad ride as well. We're always looking for more riders.

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #16 - 06/02/08 at 05:39:04

I think the concern would be more along the lines of you doing 65-70 into a headwind and coming up to a semi doing 60-65 and not being able to pass at WOT because of the air coming off the truck. Now you have a choice: sit in the slip stream let traffic build up behind you and be buffeted around waiting for a drop in the headwind, or drop way off in speed and follow behind until the next exit (can be 10 - 20 miles apart in this part of the country) with all the rest of the traffic coming up behind you at fast closing differential speeds and passing you. An experience like this is what made me decide that for interstate trips a different MC was in order.

You want traffic closing on you from the rear at 20 mph? Are you talking about riding 20 MPH slower than average traffic, or just the random vehicle going much faster than average. What about the vehicles that are only doing 70 1/2 MPH pass and put you in their slip stream for miles?

IMHO it is safer to ride on the interstate with traffic all going on direction and no intersections - if you find a buffer without a bunch of traffic around you. Not however if you are riding slower than traffic and forcing people to constantly find their way around you. Or riding much faster than traffic and constantly passing other vehicles.

Sandy Koocanusa wrote on 05/31/08 at 22:15:55:
Since it came up, I have a question about Interstate travel.  What is the big concern?  If I'm doing 70, and a guy goes past at 90, I'm in his slip stream for just a few seconds and he's gone, right?  I'm not meeting oncoming traffic, so no concern there.

I must be missing something.  I'll be riding I-90 later this month, so if someone can give me a little idea of what I should be worried about, it would be much appreciated.  Seems like it would be easier riding, with everyone going the same direction.

Thanks much,
Jason

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #17 - 06/02/08 at 06:00:44

There is no concern when it comes to riding with traffic on the interstate.  You find a speed you are comfortable with , set the throttle accordingly and enjoy the ride.

If you're slower than the rest of the traffic, you ride in the right lane and let all the idiots pass you.  Just because they want to do warp 1, doesn't mean that you have to.

If they approach me from behind, 20mph faster than me, let them.  They can either slow down and stay behind, or they can pass on the left.  I have no obligation to move, speed up or get out of the way.

What if I get hit?  I'll probably die.  But if I'm going to spend all that time worrying about it, I might as well not leave the house.  I could be killed crossing the street to get the mail.  

And as for riding into a head wind, I do it all the time.  Up hill, through West Virgnina (where the speed limit is 70.)  Never once had ANY problem keeping the bike at 70 and even had some throttle left over to accelerate past the semi's who can't go up the hills any faster than 45.....

The Savage is FINE for interstate travel, so long as you want to ride the speed limit.  If you feel you have to be speed racer in the mach 5, then you'll obviously need a bigger bike.  One that will at least do 100.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #18 - 06/02/08 at 08:41:31

Can the Savage do the trip?  Can it run on the Interstate?  The Savage will go just about anywhere you want to take it, and love it!

The trick to running on interstates is getting used to being blown around.  Get a decent windshield.  Find a comfortable speed.  RELAX and enjoy the ride.  Once you get used to the wind, interstates are not that bad.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #19 - 06/02/08 at 10:45:29

That's all as I figured.  The speed limit on most of the highways in Montana is 70 mph anyway, so I just couldn't see the problem.  If I can hack it on a little two-lane highway, a nice wide freeway will be great.  Can't wait to give it a whirl.  I do wish there was a smaller road on my route, for scenic purposes.  Alas, the interstate bars my way, and must be traversed for a short time.  

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
shadowman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Northern Virginia
Reply #20 - 06/03/08 at 05:00:33

Here's my input on Interstate riding:  On those 50-60 mile runs up I-95 I find it prudent to stick to the right lane because the traffic is very heavy in the DC-Baltimore area, the flow is 70+ mph, and I don't like being in the middle of that.  But the right lane is grooved by semis and I have found myself caught in these tubes, and I don't like that.  We each have our own limitations, but knowing what I know now I'd be reluctant to take a trip of great length ON THE INTERSTATE.  (I'd take back roads from coast to coast with no hesitation.)  You might load up and take a long weekend ride on the highway and see just what your tolerances are.  Let us know.

I can deal with the occasional

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:20:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do it ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.