Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do it ? (Read 323 times)
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do it ?
05/31/08 at 16:03:02

In October, I want to ride my S40 from Central Texas to Fort Lauderdale go on a 10 day cruise while on the cruise I will put my bike in the shop for a check out.  I plan to give myself four or five days down and the same time back.  I will have the bike serviced before heading down as well.  

Anyone taken their Boulevard that far and will I be pushing it too hard.  I plan to drive the speed limit or slightly under/over the entire route.  By the time I go, I will have my seat modified by Sargent so it should be much more comfortable.

I will have two throw over saddle bags and a luggage rack with a three bag attachment.   I am sending my clothes  for the cruise ahead of time to my daughter in Fort Lauderdale.

Is this too much of a trip for a one thumper?

« Last Edit: 05/31/08 at 17:55:28 by Texasphotographer »  

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Re: Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do
Reply #1 - 05/31/08 at 18:35:33

I say go for it.  I can't imagine why this would be a problem.  It's probably less taxing than equivalent "around town" miles.  Lots of guys in here will suggest you put synthetic oil in.  There is a Mobil One v-twin formulation (15W50 or 20W50) that several people suggest.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 05/31/08 at 18:41:22

Oh my God.  What?  Do you have to get off an push the bike up over speed bumps?

Of freaking course, it can make that trip!

My Savage has been to New York, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana and Kentuky in the last 10 months I've owned it.  (Thats 31,000 miles since July 13, 2007)

For God sakes, you guys treat the bike like its made of tissue paper and tin foil.  Ride the danged thing.  It can do it, with no special preparations, no special incantations and you'll even make it back in one piece!

I swear,  Nobody gives the Savage any credit.....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #3 - 05/31/08 at 19:15:56

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 05/31/08 at 18:41:22:
For God sakes, you guys treat the bike like its made of tissue paper and tin foil.  Ride the danged thing.  It can do it, with no special preparations, no special incantations and you'll even make it back in one piece!

There there Skrappy  Kiss - please remember how many people have either heard of or dealt with crappy bikes in their MC time.  The Savage is a relative rarity in the durable design and capability department.  

Understand most people have heard of the horror stories, not the successes. It's nice on this forum to read how many people have gone cross country, and some in the planning stages of a big trip and some going along vicariously (asking always for photos!).  Cool

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
pgman

Central Florida
Reply #4 - 05/31/08 at 19:18:26

Tex,

It is funny how some people seem to think that the LS650 is a bit of a toy.  Many of my friends kinda laughed at my wife's bike (until they realized that they were NOT running away from her on their 1400cc machines).  I think you will find that the bike will do that sort of trip with no trouble.  You may not find it so easy, however - especially your backside.

The only long ride I ever did on an LS650 was to Leesburg, FL for their annual bikefest.  I was riding with three other pals - all of whom were riding bigger machines.  I had no trouble keeping up with them for the 90-minute ride but, by the time we got there, my butt was not happy and my feet were pretty numb.  The bike was gleefully thumping away, however.  The one saving grace will be that you have to stop every 140 miles or so (for fuel), so you will have plenty of break time!

Some other things to watch out for (taken from comments my wife has given me):

Interstate riding can be challenging on this lightweight machine.  The wind and turbulence from larger vehicles can be brutal.  Be careful how you load your bike - the extra wind load of your luggage will affect handling and aerodynamics.  Are you planning to take the back roads?

My wife sometimes complains of a numbing vibration in the handlebars (on long rides at 60+ MPH).  I am not sure how real this problem is - it may be that she is riding with a death grip on the throttle (or some other quirky thing). I didn't notice this on my Leesburg run, but I installed Kuryakyn iso-grips to try and help her.  The jury is still out on those (I think they helped some).

The OEM footpegs really do cause numbness / discomfort in the feet - at least for wifey and me.  I put on some cheap floorboards from JC Whitney and those made all the difference in the world.  You may want to look into some alternate pegs before you set sail - some highway pegs, perhaps?

To help with the saddle issue, I put on a Harley-Davidson Sportster seat, which provided some relief (but not enough yet).  I don't know what Sargent does to the OEM seat, so that may not be an issue for you.

After the modifications I mentioned here, my wife and I can now do our "beach runs" with no problem (230+ miles round trip).  That's essentially one full tank of fuel each way - in one day.  We usually only stop for fuel, and she can now ride the whole way in relative comfort - keeping in mind that this is not a touring bike.  She still is not 100% happy with the seat, but I added some memory foam yesterday.  We'll see how that works next week when we head for the surf Cool.

Good luck, and watch your back out there!  If you're passing through this way, and you have time, feel free to look us up.  You can PM me here if you wish.

Hers: 2003 Shadow VT750DC
His: 2008 Star XVS1100 Custom
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/31/08 at 19:19:28

Abilene to Ft. Lauderdale is about 1500 miles, a hundred and a half more than LA - OKC.  For my LA-OKC trip I checked the tires and changed the oil.  I did lay out my tools on a shop cloth in the garage, and forgot to pack them.

Four days, less than six hours saddletime per day, "vill be piece of piroshki!"

Should do like Sluggo and bribe the crew to stow the bike aboard.

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #6 - 05/31/08 at 19:22:31

Skatnbnc, quick!  Take him back to his tent and give him the BLUE pills.  His bike is in good shape, but I fear Skrapiron has blown a crucial gasket.

Tex, if I had that opportunity, you would not see any posts from me for a long time.  I can't wait until I can manage a couple of weeks off to take the bike across country.  I've put 1500 miles on it without a glitch.  Don't know why it wouldn't do it again.  Unfortunately, my wife and children have this thing about eating regularly, so I must stay at the salt mine and dig while the bike looks wistfully into the distance... :'(

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Hard Corps

Freedom is worth
facing your fears

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #7 - 05/31/08 at 21:34:38

I just put 200 miles on today.  And 300 last week.  And I'm a newbie.  She'll be just fine.  She's a Savage.

Black 2003, Bare-bones, Somewhere along Route 66, Marine Corps Sergeant
  IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/31/08 at 21:44:01

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 05/31/08 at 18:41:22:

My Savage has been to New York, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina, Indiana and Kentuky in the last 10 months I've owned it.  (Thats 31,000 miles since July 13, 2007)

Skrapiron,  Why are you mincing words?  Say what you mean Grin

Yes, I do want to thank you for positive comments.  I have been riding this time about three months so there is so much I do not know about motorcycles and their stamina.  

Everyone else, thanks for your helpful advice.  I am planning to go on the Interstate, but will stay in the right lane.  I have a nav system in my car and I may look for a back road route to see a more scenic route.  

As far as working, I want to retire.  I own my own business and my son is quite adapt at running it.  I also am retired Army so that kicks in a bit and both my wife and I collect Social Security so money is not all that much of an issue.

PGman,  I will look you up either heading south or on the reverse trip back.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 05/31/08 at 22:15:55

Since it came up, I have a question about Interstate travel.  What is the big concern?  If I'm doing 70, and a guy goes past at 90, I'm in his slip stream for just a few seconds and he's gone, right?  I'm not meeting oncoming traffic, so no concern there.

I must be missing something.  I'll be riding I-90 later this month, so if someone can give me a little idea of what I should be worried about, it would be much appreciated.  Seems like it would be easier riding, with everyone going the same direction.

Thanks much,
Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/31/08 at 22:34:23

I personally have never had any issue at all with semi's or any other vehicle passing me, or me passing them, as far as the wind goes. Even on a Rebel 250. You'll feel it but I can't say I've ever been moved more than MAYBE 8in left or right. I generally adjust before I even notice it really. Hardly even registers. The big thing for me is the natural crosswinds. they can be very strong, come on with no warning at all and go back and forth very quickly. With a semi you generally have a inkling that its there or approaching and can be prepared for it. Plus the wind created by them is more or less even between any two given semis and the gust slowly fades away as it passes you.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/31/08 at 23:38:52

Awww C'moooon,, BeatDuck took his from Fla, over to Nevada or some such desertified location, up to Canada, across to New York or so, South home, gone so long he had to have tires, but the bike did fine, well it got lazy ONCE & faw down.. CraPPPaMundo, give the bike a break..He has some excellent pics & a blog of the trip, somewhere..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #12 - 05/31/08 at 23:45:53

working up to and feeling comfortable at 80plus requires a "break in" periond, that is for you . if' jetted properly it'll run 80 all day long. you just need to get used to how  it feels.  i don't mind the speed of the slab, it's generally just a boring drone along.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 06/01/08 at 08:03:05

Ok, I feel better today....

Word of advice.  Never Never Never post on a BBS with your third Jack and Coke sitting helf empty by the keyboard.  The sarchasm control portion of the brain tends to be turned off in the presence of alcohol... Wink

I meant what I said and I said what I meant.  The Savage can do it, one hundred percent!

I for one spent alot of time wondering WHY everyone I ever met on a ride was telling me "You're crazy.  You need a bigger bike.  What is that, like a 250?"   I used to answer their stupid questions, but decided to just let my bike answer for me.  The look on their faces when I blow by them on the interstate (in the passing lane, of course) is priceless.

I knew the Savage would be able to do what I wanted it to, the day I bought it.  I have ridden much larger bikes and I have ridden much smaller bikes.  The Savage was perfect.  Small enough to be easy to ride, easy to park yet powerful enough to comfortably cruise the interstate and reliable enough to ride it anywhere you care to choose....

I understand the reason for the question.  According to all the people at the dealership, the Savage is held together with bubble gum and good intentions.  If you ride it more than 30 miles outside the city lines, it will fall apart like the Dodge did in the Blues Brothers.  Beat Duck and I are proof that such thinking is folly.  The Savage is MORE than capable of making such a trip.  The only question is, are you?  

That much time in the saddle can be tiring.  My advice is to keep your saddle time to a max of 300 miles a day, and get an air-hawk seat cover.  Other than that, rock and roll!

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #14 - 06/01/08 at 20:15:20

LOL.  I still like the "tissue paper and tinfoil" remark.  I'll have you know that I'm about to do the tinfoil mod this week.  If I can afford the tissue paper mod this July, I'm going for it!!

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:22:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Texas to South Florida and back. Can a S40 do it ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.