Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Post White spacer mod... questions (Read 350 times)
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Post White spacer mod... questions
05/30/08 at 07:14:23

I just did the spacer mod and i am still getting a backfire.   is it possible that it is backfiring because i took to much away?   i didn't put in another washer, just took the stupid white one out.

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Post White spacer mod... questions
Reply #1 - 05/30/08 at 08:01:28

When is it backfiring?  Idle?

White spacer mod is for mid range throttle response.

Backfire occurs at lean throttle conditions.

If backfire occurs at idle, adjust idle circuit.  Not mid range.

WWW   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #2 - 05/30/08 at 08:25:20

Agree with Verslagen. Pop the idle plug and adjust. Might also put in a 150 when stock or 152 with filter and muffler mod. And yes leave the stupid white spacer off Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #3 - 05/30/08 at 08:27:41

it pops when i roll off the throttle, but it doesn't pop in between shifting gears anymore.

'07 s40, White spacer removed, Jardine muffler, iron cross mirrors, Ed-L +4" controls, under seat bags- only on for trips, and 1 happy nut in the seat!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/30/08 at 08:34:05

pop on shut down?

looking more and more like idle circuit adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #5 - 05/30/08 at 08:58:18

i haven't shut it down enough times to tell i just did the mod last night.  

i have a jardine w/ stock air.

how would i go about adjusting the idle circuit?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/30/08 at 09:36:21

On right side of bike, upper right of carb, you either have a brass plug or a pocket with a slotted screw in it.

For full instructions, see the tech sect.  Lancers straight and simple tuning.

But, turn the screw CCW about a 1/8 turn at a time till pop goes away.  The more unsure you are the more you should try out your adjustment.

WWW   IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #7 - 05/30/08 at 09:50:26

i thought that was the screw, but i wasn't sure, because last night when i was trying to adjust it.... it didn't seem like it was doing anything.

IP Logged
machz54
YaBB Newbies

toronto,canada
Reply #8 - 05/30/08 at 14:36:11

Was just going to post same question ,removed white spacer and put in 2 small washers should be less than 1/3 spacer..changed mains to 155 from 145..adjusted idle circuit as per instructions''out approx.3 1/4 turns checked exhaust for leaks after tightening all clamps and bolts ,still pops quite loud when I back off throttle and use engine as brake... its a 2007 with 4500km on it  any suggestions..Dave
PS is 155 main good for harley style muffler thinking of sticking one on for fun...

IP Logged
toro
YaBB Newbies

Hell yeah

Whidbey Island
Reply #9 - 05/30/08 at 15:55:29

That would be my question as well, I just picked up a pair of sportster mufflers, for my '08. Trying to figure out which kit (if any) would be best, or if I should just get some different individual jets from mikuni...

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 05/30/08 at 20:23:02

if you can't tell the difference when you adjust the idle circuit, your probably idling too high already, turn down the idle speed, then adjust the idle circuit. idle speed adj is on the opposite side, large screw.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 05/30/08 at 20:35:50

Idle adjust, idle adjust hmmm...  Oh yeah!  That's something I've been going to mention.  In all the "backfire" threads, I don't recall anyone saying to turn down the idle to stem the backfire on shutdown.  When my idle is lower, it shuts down nicely.  If it is idling too high, I get quite a bang.  

That would be worth telling folks with a backfire question, unless I'm the only guy it happens to.

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
machz54
YaBB Newbies

toronto,canada
Reply #12 - 05/31/08 at 05:23:30

vtail wrote on 05/30/08 at 18:06:38:
machz54 wrote on 05/30/08 at 14:36:11:
Was just going to post same question ,removed white spacer and put in 2 small washers should be less than 1/3 spacer..changed mains to 155 from 145..adjusted idle circuit as per instructions''out approx.3 1/4 turns checked exhaust for leaks after tightening all clamps and bolts ,still pops quite loud when I back off throttle and use engine as brake... its a 2007 with 4500km on it  any suggestions..Dave
PS is 155 main good for harley style muffler thinking of sticking one on for fun...

You went down to 145? Go back , put in 150 and adjust idle and I still say NO SPACER Wink

No I went up to a 155 from a 145

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 05/31/08 at 07:17:44

The general rule on "Turns out" for the little needle valve on the right side is just a few turns, right? Its only because the spring tension starts to fall off & the thing can vibrate out? IF thats all there is to it, would a spring off a ballpoint pen, cut off a bit, naturally, stuck in there, work out?Might need a light washer at the spring junction, theres some pretty thin, white nylon , found on the bottom of some drawers...just sayin,,

My Dr. uses some really stout magnets, of various thicknesses, all the same diameters. I built her a little doohickey that hangs on her rolling tray, with 3 low spots in it, to set magnets down in, then swing a handle across & strip the magnets off each other. I made it from a nylon cutting board I found in the road. I make stuff outta junk a lot.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jomiyo

Thump or Bump!

Elmira, NY
Reply #14 - 06/02/08 at 05:37:33

After the weekend i finally got the carb tuned out right.   only gives me problems on a really strong decel

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 20:30:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Post White spacer mod... questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.