Send Topic Print
Engine Oil Leak? (Read 76 times)
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Engine Oil Leak?
05/29/08 at 03:45:15

One for the experts! The other day I stopped the bike and went to get off. She was on an incline and rolled back slightly disengaging the kickstand and started to fall over. Duh - what a dingle brain.

She didn't  hit the ground because I still had my hands on the it so I just pulled her up.

Here's the question. As the bike got close to the ground in the middle of the fall some oil came out of the side of the engine and dripped on the ground. Middle of the engine on the left side. Should that have happened or do I have a seal problem?

I'm getting ready to take it for the trip service and have a list running for them to check.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Re: Engine Oil Leak?
Reply #1 - 05/29/08 at 07:17:36

Hey Littlebird, you must try to trace the source of the oil back to its origin.  Did the oil drip come from down on the engine cases or up on the cylinder fins? Once you figure out where it dripped, you can sometimes follow the oil stain on the metal of the engine back to its source. BTW, How much oil was it? One drip or several?

IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #2 - 05/29/08 at 11:02:57

It was several drops say bigger than drips that came out the side of the case about the middle on the left side.

If I hadn't righted it immediately it seemed like it would have been pretty steady.

Not sure how to trace it since I'm not sure where to even look. No other oil anywhere.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 05/29/08 at 13:43:55

Little Bird, this is a thought, nothing else.

Your air box collects oil from the blow by tube.  If you haven't pulled the little plug on the little hose that drops down next to your oil drain plug then you may have an accumulation of loose oil in your air box.  Nothing holds this in to speak of, it just sits in the bottom of your airbox.

This coulda, mighta possibly been the source for your drop or three of loose oil.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 02:11:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Oil Leak?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.