newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Sportster xl take-off
05/22/08 at 12:35:45

Hi all,

Has anyone installed an xl Sportster muffler.  I have found a pair that are available.  What should I watch out for?

I would like to increase the sound for my wifes bike and was wondering if this would make the difference.  The pipes are off an 833.

Tony

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Sportster xl take-off
Reply #1 - 05/22/08 at 12:41:59

They're the same ones I used on my bike.

They'll work, but you will have to make some modifications.

The Sportster pipe has a cross-over hose built into the muffler, instead of the header like on the dyna.  To use it as a single muffler, the crossover tube must be blocked off.

I used a 1 7/8" freeze plug and had it welded in place over the tube.

Inside the muffler, that same tube has to be shaved down to allow the muffler to fit all the way up the header pipe.  You'll have to use a dremel tool and several cut off discs to get it cut clear.

Once it is capped and de-snorkeled, you will need to line up the mounting hole on your stock muffler brakcet.  It won't fit the stock holes, so you'll have to drill a new one.  I fabricated a second bracket which bolts into the stock one, but allows me to use both mounting studs on the muffler.

If you're handy with tools, it will take about an hour and a half to do.  Just one bit of advice.  Get the entire thing welded shut.  Don't mess around with clamps or high temp sealant. They may work for a short while, but don't last.  Any muffler shop can weld the muffler and header together as well as weld the freeze plug shut for just a couple of bucks...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/22/08 at 12:50:42

If you haven't already bought the XL, there is another H.D. muffler that bolts right up to your existing Savage bracket, has no holes to fill or weld   and clamps right onto your header pipe.  I've had mine on for a year and it doesn't leak or loosen.  I bought mine used from Ebay for $30.00,  but I don't remember which  model Harley it came off.  This has been done many times and I'm sure other readers on this site can tell you which model it is.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/22/08 at 13:36:26

Why does a guy with a supertrapp know the answer?

D... Y... N... A !

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 05/22/08 at 17:58:56

I got two new Sportster take-off muffs from Harley for $20, no crossover port. Then I spent about that same amount at Midas to have them bend a pipe adapter to give me the length to have the back of the muff clear the brake drum, weld it to the header pipe and then install everything. I'm only using one of the mount bolt holes, but haven't had anything fall off in over 8k miles. And I have a new muffler on the shelf when/if this one ever gives up the ghost. I use a clamp for the muff to pipe connection so's I can do the replacement someday.

Jack

IP Logged
newrider55
YaBB Newbies

New rider and loving
it.

Climax, MI
Reply #5 - 05/22/08 at 18:20:25

Verslagen1,

My 97 came with Super Trapp but this would be my 1st mod for my wife's bike.

Also these only have one bolt hole and no crossover.  The One pipe has X-L stamped into it so I assumed it was the XL maybe it is the DYNA.  ID looks to be 1 7/8"

Thanks

Tony

'97 Black LS650
Supertrapp, Mod Carb
'02 Silver LS650 Stock
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:23:43