Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
So you want a bigger bike... (Read 539 times)
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
So you want a bigger bike...
05/09/08 at 00:26:37

OK.  So, I think we've all at one time or another either wished we had a bigger bike or been told we need a bigger bike.  I've thought I've needed a bigger bike many times.  So now that I have a bigger bike, I'd like to put to ink some of my musings of being the owner of a "bigger" bike.

This week I bought a 1996 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE.  This is a bike that was "recommended" to me once by a salesman at the local dealership as a good first bike.  The salesman told me he never recommended less than an 1100, because people are just not happy with a smaller bike.  I think we've all heard or felt that at one time or another.  So when my wife gave me the go ahead to get another bike, I didn't hesitate to go for a bigger bike.

The first thing I have to tell you is that it is HEAVY.  It weighs 600 lbs, which is not the top of the scale for a larger bike.  But it feels every bit of the 600 lbs.  It is hard to turn at a stand still and it feels like I'm going to drop it every time I move it around.  Now my Savage I can hold one handed while I check the oil level.  The 1100 I don't even TRY that trick with.  It's harder to balance at a stop light, gotta use both feet.  It's harder to take off and jump into traffic.  And it doesn't turn as tight.  All around, the Savage is so easy to handle compared to the 1100.  I've taken the 1100 up through the hills and it scared me at first.  It feels like it's going to fall over in the turns or push through the turn off the road.  I know that is just me getting used to the bike, but can I just say that this is NOT a beginner bike.  It's got WAY to much power and weight for a first timer.  It makes me wonder about the HD riders that just have to have a big twin.

But, let's talk about the freeway since that's what I got it for.  First of all, I still can only get a little over 100 miles out of a tank, which is only about 1/2 a gallon larger, with less MPG.  And the wind still blows me around when I get around trucks.  And the front wheel still gets moved by the rain grooves, albeit not as much.  It does cruise a little faster than the savage, but that cuts into the MPG more as well.  So really my savage with the chain conversion is almost as good of a freeway bike, and in some respects better (MPG).  And did I mention the seat, although much bigger, still hurts after awhile.

Now, lets talk about maintenance.  The 1100 has already been in the shop with a flat tire and rear brake pads.  Could I have done it myself, maybe but didn't want to even try.  The savage I've taken down to the frame and engine with no problems.  All I've done on the 1100 is take the seat off.  Everything looks so much more complex, and heavier, with more things to worry about....coolant, carb synch, 2 plugs ect.  

So in summary, what I've found is that bigger is not always the answer to our "issues".  The Savage is a great bike, and so are others.  My friend's dad has a Honda 750 ACE and I loved it.  Classic look, more weight, but not too much.  Will I get rid of my 1100?  No way!  It' bad to the bone, looks and sounds like a HD, and is fun to ride.  Will I get rid of my Savage?  Absolutely not!  It's fun to ride, work on, and can be loaned out to others safely.  If I had to choose one, that would be hard.  But only because the 1100 is in better condition than my savage.  If looks we're equal, the savage would win.  But, I'm just glad I don't have to make that decision.  I can have the best of both worlds!  (Now all I have to do is convince my wife I NEED a dual sport Wink )

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
KenGLong
Alliance Member

2002 Savage

Albuquerque, NM
Re: So you want a bigger bike...
Reply #1 - 05/09/08 at 09:07:27

Not everyone wants or even needs a "bigger" bike. But the same goes for a smaller bike too. Last year I got a Vulcan 900. Best move I ever made. It's easy to handle and does the freeways out here in the wide open west better than my Savage ever could. Took it on an Iron Butt run a few weeks ago. Never would have even considered it on the Savage, although I know there are people who have done it. The Savage always felt small to me but the 900 fits me just fine.

Still have the Savage but I need to do the cam chain. It's in a corner of the garage under a cover.

Ride the bike *you* want to ride and you'll be happy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/09/08 at 12:37:33

Gary On A Savage wrote on 05/09/08 at 00:26:37:
 (Now all I have to do is convince my wife I NEED a dual sport Wink )
unless your pretty long legged some of the dual sports can be a little tough - but if you find a good price on the little TW200 dual sport - grab it  

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/09/08 at 12:47:34

well looky here right up the road from you!
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/671076978.html

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 05/09/08 at 13:03:03

I know what you're talking about, Gary.

My wife's new Maxi-Scooter tips the scales at 470lbs.  When you get on it and take it off of the side stand, you feel every pound of that weight.

Take a tight corner and it feels like it will just keep tipping over. For all of the cushioning, the saddle still makes your butt hurt after 30 minutes or so.

The only thing it does better than the Savage is take up room in the Garage.  

No thanks, I'm keeping my Savage...

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 05/09/08 at 13:26:58

Reelthing wrote on 05/09/08 at 12:47:34:

Cheesy

There was a Honda Transalp (600) that was for sale I was looking at before I bought the 1100.  But a guy beat me to it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #6 - 05/09/08 at 13:30:46

KenGLong wrote on 05/09/08 at 09:07:27:
Not everyone wants or even needs a "bigger" bike. But the same goes for a smaller bike too. Last year I got a Vulcan 900. Best move I ever made. It's easy to handle and does the freeways out here in the wide open west better than my Savage ever could. Took it on an Iron Butt run a few weeks ago. Never would have even considered it on the Savage, although I know there are people who have done it. The Savage always felt small to me but the 900 fits me just fine.

Still have the Savage but I need to do the cam chain. It's in a corner of the garage under a cover.

Ride the bike *you* want to ride and you'll be happy.

I've looked at the 900 and definitely was considering one.  If I could have found one in my price range I probably would have bought it.  But I found this 1100 in good shape at a good price, and my wife really liked the look of it (she's funny that way...more interested in the "look" of my bike), so here I am with it.  Will definitely be running it on the open road, but I think the savage will be the bike I ride to work...once it's running again.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 05/09/08 at 14:56:47

Gary On A Savage wrote on 05/09/08 at 13:26:58:
Reelthing wrote on 05/09/08 at 12:47:34:

Cheesy

There was a Honda Transalp (600) that was for sale I was looking at before I bought the 1100.  But a guy beat me to it.

but this one is only $1050 ... find a place to hide it and ...

IP Logged
Texasphotographer
YaBB Newbies

Old is better than
the alternative

Copperas Cove, Texas
Reply #8 - 05/17/08 at 11:23:14

I thought that you wrote this thread specifically for me.   I bought the S40 on March 29 - my wife's birthday.  Did I catch hell about this.   Grin

I had been wanting a larger bike until today when I was in a parade.  45 minutes of stopping riding two feet and stopping again.  It was not a real fun thing to do, but riding a 352 pound bike in a parade is probably a dream compared to the ST 1300 I have been lusting for.

Will definitely stay with the S40 for a good while longer.  Thanks for posting this thread.  It brought me to my senses.

I am 69. Need I say more
WWW   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 05/17/08 at 13:22:01

I concur...Smiley Kept mine, besides it gets best economy in town of all.
It was $71 to fill the Mark VIII yesterday. SUCKS!

1st hard to justify the extra insurance & tags.
But in the city it is likely a safer bet than the PC.
The self-canceling turn signals on the PC have totally ruined me.
It will be the end of me too, I need to install a beeper on the 650 to remind me.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #10 - 05/20/08 at 21:57:17

On the bigger Bike thing.
In a way I guess I,m lucky,I started riding in 1951 in those days there was a "Standard" or "Class"  125 ,250,350,or a 500 cc,and one bike that didn't have a class rating was the Vincent @ a 1000cc,very few people could afford one anyway.So that was it,I started with a  BSA Bantem 125cc,I skipped the 250 and went to a 350 Royal Enfield,after I got out of the army I inherited my Dads ES2 Norton 500cc or as we called it in those days "a Monster" ,it was big, it was heavy,looking back it was very cool,So what I'm trying to say is "It's all relative" the times dictate what is to big , I cant emagen how I would have felt looking at a bike that could do 180mph with an in line four.
Oops I did forget to mention the very first bike my Dad gave me it was a 98cc ohv Ducati ,a great little bike that I gave to my sister,it was just a tad to slow 60mph with a good tail wind. All that being said My Savage is the biggest baddest bike I have ever owned,My dear Dad who is now 94 years old (he still smokes and drinks JD) thinks it's to big for me,I'm just a little guy 5' 7" 140,oh well I love it ,to me it's the way motor cycling should be,A bike were you can do just about all your own repair work , it's a man and machine thing ,you know it ,and it knows you,I even speak to mine, and it answers with a hearty thump thump thump.AAAAAAH music to my old ears.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 05/20/08 at 22:07:38

If you want a bigger bike, just park next to a smaller car!!!

WWW   IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #12 - 05/21/08 at 00:01:11

wow!

Fiat 600!! My mom had one, bought in 1962!  Cheesy

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #13 - 05/21/08 at 06:47:09

Paladin, where on Earth did you find a Fiat 600 to park next to ?

They're rare even in Italy !!!

Now, I too have been wanting a bigger bike...
- Yamaha 650 DragStar? still a 650, but looks like a better two-up cruiser...
- Suzuki Volusio 800? Been drooling after one for years, but insurance kills me...
- HD Springer? Yeh, sure, when I win a million $$$

So, the Savage is OK for me for now...

Maybe a scooter...

http://www.mp3.piaggio.com/index_eng.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zJwRbQHCZU

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #14 - 05/21/08 at 09:47:55

Hey I had a Fiat 600 while in the service. Also had a BMW Isetta, a Subaru 360, a couple of Honda 600's and I still have the one below bought in 1970 from the first owner, a 1960 Vespa 400, very rare even in Italy. Smiley and smaller than the even the Fiat 500. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:32:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So you want a bigger bike...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.