Send Topic Print
oil cooler (Read 156 times)
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
oil cooler
05/22/08 at 10:14:02

in a short while i will have my suzi tuned with kit of Lancer.

carb,cam,exhaust and inlet tuned,bigger Raask muffler etc.

offcource the oil will be very hot Grin

anyone tried to install an oilcooler on his bike.

any ideas?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: oil cooler
Reply #1 - 05/22/08 at 11:18:24

WWW   IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #2 - 05/22/08 at 11:34:42

kiss on youre cheek .....  Grin Grin

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 05/22/08 at 13:50:19

A few of us have found it best to tap threads into the top of the oil filter housing and return cool oil there.  The bottom plug is nearly inaccessable.

You can partially block the machined inlet hole to the oil filter to increase flow thru the cooler.

There are other threads around here from those of us who have done just that.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
fsmidt
YaBB Newbies

nulli cedo

wierum,the netherlands
Reply #5 - 05/22/08 at 15:15:44

many thanks ,a lot to read.

in our dutch forum(www.suzukisavage.nl) it is an topic just started by me.

so i think we will learn a lot from you guy`s.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 05/22/08 at 16:45:51

i got a oil tmp gauge(hwy hawk)for xmas 06 last summer 100 F oil temp never got above normal....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #7 - 05/22/08 at 16:56:06

A oil cooler on a savage is doable, been using one for about two years. The oil flow diagram from Lancer is priceless for figuring out the best place to hook up the lines. I ended up taking the front plug and drilling it to fit a piece of steel brake line which I brazed into the hole. The plug is a strange size thread and I couldn't find any hose fittings that worked so I made my own hose barb. The return line goes to a fitting that I mounted on the top side of the oil filter housing. Had to drill and tap a hole in the side cover for the fitting. I tested the oil cooler flow and am getting almost a liter of oil per minute going thru the cooler at 1500 RPM with a warm engine. Couldn't measure the volumn at a higher rpm cause the test rig kind of came apart and sprayed oil all over Grin. A oil cooler doesn't help when stuck in traffic because it depends on air flow to cool the oil but it has helped at speed. I was able to measure the air temperature around the inlet and outlet of the cooler and found that there is a noticable temperature difference above 50 mph.  I'm playing around with the idea of installing a small fan with a switch to help increase air flow in traffic. Another plus for having a cooler is that it increases the amount of the oil in the bike. A oil and filter change on my bike takes 2 3/4 quarts. Can't say that the cooler or installation is pretty but it works.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/22/08 at 17:13:18

What about the issue of the Savage having very low oil pressure to begin with, and then asking that to work its way through a cooler whose passages may be restrictive in size and further reduce the flow rate?  Also, what about when the engine is off and the oil drains back down out of the cooler, and then when you start the engine, the oil has to refill the cooler to get past it into the engine, while all the while the engine is running with perhaps less oil than it should have on moving parts?  Furthermore, suppose cooler restriction reduces lack of flow, but not enough to quickly damage the engine, but enough to slowly shorten engine life?  Automatic transmissions have been damaged by cheap coolers that were not correctly engineered for the application.  It would be interesting to see what Suzuki's engineers have to say about this.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/22/08 at 17:48:50

Arthur wrote on 05/22/08 at 17:13:18:
What about the issue of the Savage having very low oil pressure to begin with, and then asking that to work its way through a cooler whose passages may be restrictive in size and further reduce the flow rate?  

Ed L's cooler connects from the front oil pressure port to the oil filter cavity.  It depends on restrictive passageways to pump oil thru it so actual oil flow rate should increase.   Tongue

WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 05/22/08 at 19:43:00

I was concerned about the time lag that would occur when the cooler was filling which is why I didn't close off the inner passage to the oil filter chamber. This allows the flow to split between the cooler and the internal passageway going up to the top of the engine. I'm not too worried about the cam getting oil, it sits in a recessed area that holds a pool of oil which lubricates it during startup. It also seems that the cooler doesn't heat up as fast as the engine does after a cold startup.  The only thing that I can think that might cause this is that the oil viscosity in the engine decreases as the engine heats and flows thru the internal passageways while the oil in the cooler keeps a lower temperature and higher viscosity for the first 10 or so miles till everything heats up. Another explanation would be that the lines going to the cooler restrict the flow enough at startup so the engine gets most of the oil. I'm not real good at fluid dynamics so I'm just guessing. I can't see how the cooler can shorten the longevity of the engine, the bottom end of the engine is tough enough to withstand being run with low oil till the top end blows and as long as there is oil pooled around the cam the top end is lubed during startup.   

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 22:18:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil cooler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.