Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Now thats something to make you proud. (Read 236 times)
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Now thats something to make you proud.
05/21/08 at 18:38:56

On my way to Erie this morning, I passes a couple riding north on I-79.  They had the bike loaded down with a sleeping bag on the forks, saddlebags, bags on top of the saddle bags, a tail bag and another bag tied to the rear fender.

I thought, wow, they're dedicated.  It was cold and raining at the time.  (no, I drove the cage today.  Too much to carry to the customer for me to use the bike).  Then I pulled out and passed them.

I glanced back over, then did a double take, then a triple take just to make sure.  

They were riding....... (drum roll)...... on a Savage.

Yes,  the much maligned thumper that is chronically labled as a girls bike or just a starter bike was thumping up the interstate with 2 adults and all their gear.  I couldn't have been prouder.  Both of them and the Savage.

I LOVE this bike! Grin

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Re: Now thats something to make you proud.
Reply #1 - 05/21/08 at 18:49:32

Just FYI I-79 isn't a piece of flat land either.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #2 - 05/21/08 at 21:08:10

Poor person on back is gonna have a sore tail.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #3 - 05/21/08 at 22:03:50

SkrapIron, if you like seeing a fully loaded 650 you need to go to my BikePics page and check out the last picture. Granted it's loaded for only one person, but that person has run two 4,200+ and one 3,000+ mile runs loaded as you see it sitting in that field. And it ran through the Smokey Mts. as well as running interstate for big chunks of those trips without a qualm. In July and August down south to boot.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/08 at 22:28:38

Jack_650 wrote on 05/21/08 at 22:03:50:
SkrapIron, if you like seeing a fully loaded 650 you need to go to my BikePics page and check out the last picture. Granted it's loaded for only one person, but that person has run two 4,200+ and one 3,000+ mile runs loaded as you see it sitting in that field. And it ran through the Smokey Mts. as well as running interstate for big chunks of those trips without a qualm. In July and August down south to boot.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Jack

Did the bike handle differently with all those items piled on  it, when trucks passed by or in gusts of wind?

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #5 - 05/21/08 at 23:57:13

I have been wondering if ....the more "weight" on the Savage,saddle bags filled,other bags,etc,etc......would make riding on the expressway easier??  Handle better. Undecided

It sounds like it would,but no experience in that yet.

(I would have loved to have seen that Savage Wink

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 05/22/08 at 09:08:04

The only problems I have with the fully loaded Savage is when it's parked. I try to keep the heavy stuff low, but there's still stuff up high. When you put it on the kick stand it wants to just keep leaning. I carry a small chunk of 2X4 to put under it or look for a place to park it with the stand on the high side of a slant. Of course when you're stopped at a light you want to be very careful with the balance. It's much harder to get back to vertical if you let it lean much with that weight on there.

As to handling on the highway, I don't really notice a difference. This is my first bike ever so I have nothing to compare it with, but even empty I'm not bothered much by the wind from trucks. Sure there's the quick buffeting but there doesn't seem to be any control issues. The only problems I've had that put a bit o' scare into me is when I've been in high speed, gusts from the sides situations. I rode through a storm last year with the bike fully loaded where the side gusts pushed me clear into the other lane on the interstate. Needless to say I found an abandoned gas station to catch up on a little reading for a while.

This is the little bike that can.

Jack

IP Logged
Coleman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/22/08 at 15:10:22

Good lord yes. My first real trip outa town when I bought mine was on mother's day. I was riding to my parents house and it was about 45 degrees outside with about 30-35mph winds. Being the first time I had really road at speeds higher than 45 wow was I doing a white knuckle the whole way there.

Oh and yes it was freggin cold. Last time I do that without some sort of sweat pants under my pants.

IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #8 - 05/22/08 at 20:26:59

Is that a hitch I see? How did you attach it? Wink

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #9 - 05/22/08 at 20:33:42

I hope the hitch is just for looks.  :'(

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 05/23/08 at 07:08:01

The hitch is not just for looks, although I wouldn't want to use it for towing much more than some camping gear and such. It's not that I'm worried about the bike pulling stuff, it's more about the bikes limited braking abilities to stop it with a lot of extra weight behind it.

I came up with a basic design and had an artistic minded welder in western ND flesh it out. It goes on and comes off in five minutes and is stronger than most of the rest of the bike.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:29:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Now thats something to make you proud.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.