Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compliment or insult? (Read 258 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Compliment or insult?
05/17/08 at 20:20:55

Today I parked on the street near a hardware store.  In front of me there was an older Jaguar sedan parked.  A middle aged couple came out and headed toward the car.  The man said to me "that is what a bike should sound like".  My exhaust is stock.  At first I thought he was talking about the thumper idle, but then I realized he was talking about how quiet the bike was!  I'll have to go find me a Harley muffler now. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Compliment or insult?
Reply #1 - 05/17/08 at 20:23:25

I had people comment, positively, on the stock, whispering sewing machine sound. It still backfired some & I liked that. Now, with the supertrapp, it rumbles & spits. I like it more than stock, by far.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 05/18/08 at 08:24:03

What  made me convert was the "it sounds like an old VW bug".    Then at the stealership during the annual safety inspection, I heard my bike startup in the shop, from all the way out on the retail floor (the shop door was open).  That VW whistle......  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 05/18/08 at 09:34:30

I haven't gotten around to putting my screamin eagle pipe on yet, but I did drill 3 decently good sized holes into the end of the muffler and that really changed the sound and let a lot more flow out. Now it sounds awesome on deceleration. My Dad put his screamin eagle pipe on and HOLY crap its so freaking loud that its hard to be around. He jammed a bunch of baffling up in there to make it a little more quiet. It worked but now I doubt he gets much over stock performance out of it. He quieted it WAY down, I'm not going to do that near as much. Loud pipes save lives, and I've seen it first hand do just that.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #4 - 05/18/08 at 10:23:02

Probably not the smartest thing to do, but when I'm in a situation that calls for me to hit the horn, I hit the brakes/clutch and open the throttle. It's kind of a natural reaction. The Trapp get's their attention a lot more than the stock horn does.

FSO
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #5 - 05/18/08 at 11:21:11

I had mixed comments when my pipes were stock.  People appreciated the quietness, but other bikers said it wasn't safe to have a motorcycle so quiet.  They said it's bad enough that people can't see us, but at least with a loud pipe they can hear you.  I completely agreed with them and that's why I put on an aftermarket pipe.  It's not loud in lower gear/rpm, but when I open it up I'll draw attention.  I didn't want a REALLY loud pipe because I think that's excessive on a person's hearing ... especially the rider!

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/18/08 at 17:24:21

I'm not so sure 'bout the "loud pipes save lives" thing anymore. People tend to tune everything out. Besides, with the radio up full blast til their windows vibrate, or an ipod or cell phone in there ear, cagers just don't hear anything. I've seen 'em oblivious (or just not give a care) with an ambulance on their butt, sirens screamin, toting the airhorn, and still not pull over. Eyes and keeping enough distance for adequate reaction time saves lives. Assuming they'll hear you is false security. Ride safe.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 05/18/08 at 19:44:19

I dont know how much they actually save lives, but from a logical standpoint you can't deny the claim that something that makes more noise will get more attention than something that makes less.  Look at the Prius controversy...those things are so quiet at certain speeds that the Blind community is pushing for noisemakers and just the other week some kid got injured when he got hit by a Prius he didn't see.  

quiet bikes have almost no exhaust sounds when they approach from behind. I've driven cars in LA and been stuck on the freeway.  When lanesplitting past you, you can hear a harley a car or two back.  You notice crotch rocket abouts a quarter of a second after you hear "vwwoomm" go by your window, ten inches from your head.  (Common reaction is usually a  Shocked and some choice words)

PS- low frequency sounds travel farther than high ones.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #8 - 05/19/08 at 05:43:19

I still love my aftermarket homemade straight pipe... all 8" of it! Loud as nuts!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #9 - 05/19/08 at 08:32:06

"Loud Pipes Annoy Registered Voters"

I'll stick to a viz-vest to get noticed.  Then ride like I'm invisible.

I want my bike quiet enough to avoid complaints from the neighbors when I head out (or return) in the wee dark hours.

I want to preserve what is left of my hearing.

But I also want it to sound like a motorcycle when I crank open the throttle!  Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:38:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Compliment or insult?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.