Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starts but won't keep running (Read 65 times)
tami2001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starts but won't keep running
05/19/08 at 09:55:00

As a newbie I don't know much about the mechanical stuff...I put a new battery in and it starts but after about 3 seconds, it kills.  If I give it some gas, it kills instantly.  any ideas as to what I can do to keep it running so I can get it to the shop?  or what the problem is? Embarrassed

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Starts but won't keep running
Reply #1 - 05/19/08 at 10:05:26

need some more information year, miles, was there any problems before you put the new battery in. Some other things to do, try it on prime rather than on or reserve. Check the fuel for water, carb bowl has a drain so you can check it for contamination with rust, varnish or water. Probably will be something simple. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 05/19/08 at 10:31:55

Mine will do that. Can you hold the throttle just off idle & get it to start? IF you dont move it at all, it dies? Try pulling the choke out to the first click. Also, screw the idle adjust in some, to raise the idle speed a bit. Once you get it running & ride it 15 minutes or so, set the idle to spec. I find myself adjusting the idle a bit for the first 20 minutes or so.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
tami2001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/19/08 at 12:06:02

If I give it any gas at all then it doesn't want to start or kills even sooner.  It also kills on its own with no gas.  I'll try the idle adjust, thanks.

IP Logged
tami2001
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 05/19/08 at 12:10:20

its a 2001 with about 4000 miles on it.  same problem before new battery, thought it was a bad battery, but the problem continues.  will try the prime setting, thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 23:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starts but won't keep running

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.