Send Topic Print
Help - Need Opinions (Read 293 times)
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Help - Need Opinions
05/15/08 at 04:32:02

I can buy a 1997 Savage, 34,000 miles. Store is asking $1,400.  The mechanic rode it, after they recharged the battery.  Smoke came out of the exhaust when it first started up, but that was it.  Tires look good, all the lights and signals work.  Said he wanted to adjust the values - didn't like the way they sounded.  Has a couple of dents in the tank, seat is torn in a couple of places.  a little rust around the windshield and mirrors.

Should I buy this if I don't know how to fix motorcycle?  The store does offer a 30 day warranty.  The bikes has been at the store for at least 3 weeks that I know of. Anything else I should ask about the engine? Shocked

Thanks.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Help - Need Opinions
Reply #1 - 05/15/08 at 04:43:32

There are usualy quite a few savages/s-40's for sale, use both terms when searching.  Yor budget will be a major factor, but I suspect that for about 1K more, you can find a low milage example.  At 34K miles, the famous chain issue raises it's head; and the blue smoke suggests a valve job might be coming your way.  I'll let the real mechanics chime in..good luck on you decison. Smiley

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 05/15/08 at 05:50:04

« Last Edit: 06/26/08 at 04:52:10 by vroom1776 »  
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 05/15/08 at 06:14:15

Leave it alone, there is a real good chance it will become a money pit. Way too much to pay for that high a milage savage.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/08 at 06:26:51

I bought my '96 with 3500 miles for $1700.00 and that was a fair price.  I would be patient and look around.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/15/08 at 06:39:44

hdblueangel wrote on 05/15/08 at 04:32:02:
I can buy a 1997 Savage, 34,000 miles. Store is asking $1,400.  ....
I picked up my '00 in '04 for $2,325 -- clean, 5K miles, needed rear tire and battery.  For a kilobuck more you can have a bike without major headaches.

For that '97, I'd offer them "$700 now, or in six months when you're tired of looking at it."  (Hey, it worked with my TLR200!  Gardena Honda had the first one in the SouthBay -- I told the sellsman I'll wait a couple of months and take it for $200 of MSRP.  So he let me have it then at $200 off.)

WWW   IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - 05/15/08 at 06:57:14

I don't think the asking price is in keeping with the number of miles. If it were me I'd pass and keep looking.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/15/08 at 08:00:16

34,000 miles. Store is asking $1,400.  Not great
The mechanic rode it, after they recharged the battery.   Not good
Smoke came out of the exhaust when it first started up,  Not good
Tires look good, all the lights and signals work.   Expected
Has a couple of dents in the tank, seat is torn in a couple of places.  a little rust around the windshield and mirrors. Not good

Should I buy this if I don't know how to fix motorcycle?   Not unless you want to learn
Anything else I should ask about the engine?  open up the clutch cover and look at the cam chain (see tech sect)

I bought my '96 about 2 years ago for about $1200 started with 16k miles, now 30k.  No dents.  I have a basic knowledge of twisting wrenches.  No knowledge of motorcycles.  Check my sig, those are all the mod's I've done.

To me, the way that you explain it, they got the bike, it's been sitting long enough to drain the battery, haven't done any work on it or expect too.  As paladin says, low ball it and walk.  You definitely can find a better deal for you.  If you're not looking to do any repairs, then get a fairly new bike with less that 5k miles.  Miles more important the years.  And unless you're rich or totally incapable of twisting a wrench, expect to learn how to maintain your bike.  This is a great bike to learn on.  And we're here to help.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #8 - 05/15/08 at 08:15:05

Totall agree with vers.  They're not hard to work on and this site is great for help whenever you need it.  You can get one with lower miles for better than that price.  Don't pay too much attention to the model year.  They are asking too much for this one. IMHO  Offer 'em $700 like Paladin said and be prepared to walk if they won't be reasonable.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 09:03:02

I guess what I wanted to say is that this shop bought a used bike and they want to turn it around and make a quick buck.  Probably w/o any warranty of any kind.  They'll wait untill you come back with a gleam in their eye.  You're in control right now, don't give it up to easily.

WWW   IP Logged
hdblueangel
YaBB Newbies

One Day at a Time

South Florida
Reply #10 - 05/15/08 at 12:17:33

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate all of your input.  I think I'll pass on this bike, too many negatives.
Thanks again guys Cheesy

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 05/15/08 at 12:24:20

Other choice would be to low ball them.  Offer $750 and see if they nibble.  

IMO that's more the price it's worth.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #12 - 05/15/08 at 18:46:06

I bought my 95 with 7800 miles for $1200 two seasons ago. There are deals out there, just be patient. Your deal is not that good, too many miles for the money. I think people tend to trade up for bigger bikes all the time, so you can expect the next Savage deal just around the corner.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #13 - 05/16/08 at 21:52:09

Yeah, my first thought about that bike was that you'd offer a private owner about $500.  Look on Craigslist, eBay Motors, and Cycle World.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
KWKaletta

The Savage Cycle

Zanesville, IN
Reply #14 - 05/17/08 at 16:40:45

I picked up a '87 with 9500 mi  for 1025.00 off eBay. mint condition

Impossible - A word for the doing of which has not yet been learned.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help - Need Opinions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.