Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage, Amperage, how much to spare? (Read 162 times)
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Voltage, Amperage, how much to spare?
05/13/08 at 18:43:51

I know enough not to stick a penny in the wall socket, but that's about it.  I think I have successfully measured my voltage with my shiny new WalMart meter at 14.74 volts.  My question is, can I measure my amperage output, compare that to some magic formula, and learn how much I have to spare for electronic toys and gadgets?  I put in a 100w/80w headlight, and all seems o.k.  The guy at NAPA wasn't sure the bike would keep up with even that much extra draw.

I'd like to hook up the XM radio since it is just sitting in the truck doing nothing.  I don't want to go to the trouble though, if there is that thin of a line.  Also, if I hook it up and it works, am I going to get down the road 50 miles and learn that it was slowly drawing down the battery?

Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant about electricity, so don't worry about treating me like a dunce with your answers.  You won't shock me. Wink

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Voltage, Amperage, how much to spare?
Reply #1 - 05/13/08 at 20:19:46

My guess is you got 20 to 40 watts to spare.  But I wouldn't use it.  It's not good to run these things at full capacity.

Stock lighting is 55/60.  Lightbar will add 70, that's 130 watts.  This is a known configuration and no one's come on here and said don't do it.

You could change all your bulbs out for LED's, then you'd need to change your flasher too.  And you could put in a HID light that's super bright and only draws 35 watts.

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 05/14/08 at 05:20:54

A lot of how a MC charges depends on how it is ridden (rpms, how many starts etc., how long it sits between rides).

More people will chime in here, but the Savage doesn't have a lot of power to spare, even less so if you use it as a short hop commuter MC and "thump" around at low rpms.

One thing that you could possibly do is to keep your Savage battery on a battery tender whenever you have it "home." That way if you are riding and drawing on the battery you will be drawing on a fully charged battery. Still IMHO not a good idea (can you say recipe for getting stranded), but you wouldn't be the only one who cruises a few miles on the weekend with a bunch of accessories drawing on the battery and then plug the MC into the wall for the rest of the week.

Keep the shiny side up.  Wink

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/14/08 at 06:03:05

Here is a rule of thumb that I have used successfully in the past.

with bike ticking over slow in low light conditions like pointing at a wall in garage or something, switch everything on one at a time lights on main beam 1st, then indicators and apply brake. If light beam isn't so bright then rev the engine you should see your light beam get brighter when engine revs if genny can hack it.

And don't exceed the watts for your fuse rating.

My savage, (so I guess yours as well), has 2 20 amp fuses.

watts used = amps X volts

savage fuse is 20 amps X 12 volts (savage has 12 volt battery)

20 X 12 = 240

so you can have 240 watts running without blowing the 20 amp fuse.

Assuming one fuse is for light curcuit then.

2 indicators at 25 = 50
brake tail bulb, both lit = 50 ?
theres a few little 5 w bulbs about the speedo.
so you got approx 120 watts in reserve.

you should be ok with a 100w headlight as long as you aren't powering a lot of other stuff, the main thing is don't blow your fuse!

I think you have read my post asking about charging voltage? My electrics copes fine but I get a bit under 14 volts across battery and I am not sure why, seems like a tired out battery is favourite, when I have new battery I will post what voltage I get then!

IP Logged
Rustbucket

Reply #4 - 05/14/08 at 17:28:01

Hey guys, I'm a New S40 owner and i tried to run 2, 55 watt driving lights and it didn't work out so well, dead battery and a couple of push starts got it home. I'm not sure how many extra watts the bike can handle but it sure isn't 110 watts.. Thinking about trying one driving light and see how it does.

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/15/08 at 07:00:01

Rustbucket, were the 2 driving lights in addition to the headlight already fitted?
In my calculation you have 120 watts spare to run your headlamp, so a 100w headlight should be Ok.

If you have 2 55 watt driving lamps plus your headlamp that is 60 + 55 + 55 = 170 watts. so you are running at 50 watts over max design for the fuse rating.

If you just fit a 100w bulb in place of the standard headlamp bulb you will be 20 watts below max capacity when you hit brakes with indicator going, so it should cope with charging battery and not blow any fuses!

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/15/08 at 07:10:07

Sorry Rustbucket forgot to mention.
I reckon you should be Ok with a standard headlamp bulb and one 55w driving lamp, as long as you dont have any other stuff plugged in so don't try heated grips!

You will only have the driving lamp on when cruising at reasonable speed so engine will be revving enough that genny should cope ok.

Please don't be insulted but just in case you overlooked make sure your battery terminals are nice and clean and are tight, plus your engine earth strap is ok.

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #7 - 05/15/08 at 19:44:06

According to the book, the XM draws 2 amps, maximum.  I'm going to try it.  Worst case scenario:  I get to listen to the radio while I wait for someone to give me a jump.  In the rain.  When I'm late to work.  And I have chest pains and can't drive to the E.R.  Holy smokes!  Maybe I better not do this thing?

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 05/15/08 at 19:52:40

Don't they make a mobile XM unit now.  Sort of like an iPod but satellite radio.  

The internal battery in that should help save on the current draw, and the bike will charge it when it can.   All you need to remember is to take it in the house and charge it every once and a while.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #9 - 05/15/08 at 20:12:56

I have one of those sitting on my desk collecting dust.  When the battery quit taking a charge, it was way to expensive to get a new one.  The thing never worked as a walkman anyway.  It got terrible reception.  Battery life was only about three hours when it was brand new.

The only reason I still have  it is that I'm a packrat.  You never know when I'll need a spare ribbensnort demodulizer.  I'd hate to throw this thing away and then learn it was equipped with two of them. Roll Eyes

Rustbucket

Reply #10 - 05/16/08 at 18:30:46

Steve M wrote on 05/15/08 at 07:10:07:
Sorry Rustbucket forgot to mention.
I reckon you should be Ok with a standard headlamp bulb and one 55w driving lamp, as long as you dont have any other stuff plugged in so don't try heated grips!

You will only have the driving lamp on when cruising at reasonable speed so engine will be revving enough that genny should cope ok.

Please don't be insulted but just in case you overlooked make sure your battery terminals are nice and clean and are tight, plus your engine earth strap is ok.

Thanks for that info on the wattage. haha no insult taken, i'll take any little tidbit of information i can get on this bike.  I'll try the one extra driving light this weekend..

IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #11 - 05/23/08 at 14:59:15

Well, I got it hooked up.  The XM unit requires that you use the included 5 volt adapter.  It's for a cigarette lighter.  I took it apart to see what was inside, and it was a bunch of solid state stuff that was too complex for me to understand.  So I kept it as-is.  I mounted a new fuse holder connected directly to the battery and installed a 20 amp fuse.  Then I mounted a power outlet where the old reflector used to hang (right above the header pipe, which will probably be my undoing).  I plugged the XM in and rode away into the sunset laughing my head off to Brian Regan.

5 volts X 2 amps=10 watts, if I've got that figured out right.  I figure the thing ought to handle 10 more measly little watts.  

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:27:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voltage, Amperage, how much to spare?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.