Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Questions about the S40/LS650 (Read 207 times)
Eydugstr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Questions about the S40/LS650
05/06/08 at 17:00:41

Hello everyone!  My girlfriend is just starting to ride, and been looking at a Suzuki S40 as a possible next bike.  She's spent some time sitting on one - the bike fits her really well - but still have a lot of questions.

Are there any mechanical issues I should look out for?  If so, around what mileage do they occur?  What's the popular tire option(s)?

What's availible as far as accesories go?  What are some of the more popular add-ons with folks on the forum?

Any suggestions would be appreciated - been quite a search to try and find a bike that fits a 5' person!  She'll be using it for commuter riding mostly, but every now and then a short trip possibly.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Questions about the S40/LS650
Reply #1 - 05/06/08 at 17:11:46

add ons:
Windshield, saddle bags, seat comfort.  I would recommend engine gaurds for her.  If it falls over it'll help.

mech issues:
petcock due to vac line leaking
petcock due to diapharm failing
starters on pre'95's
cam chain between 10k and 30k
carb cleanliness
fill up every 100 miles

WWW   IP Logged
Baldeagle

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Hernando MS
Reply #2 - 05/06/08 at 17:56:43

Purchased my 05 S40 new and now have 8k miles and have had no problems.   I have:

An engine guard
Light Bar
Pillow top gel seat with mod
Sheep skin cover
All chrome options from Suzuki except back rest
Carb mod  These machines run lean
Windshield
Both side covers chromed
K&N filter
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Shell gas only

Suzuki puts out a high quailty product in the S40 and a perfect starter bike.  As for me I will not be trading up.  Am 70, ride daily and do not want to muscle around a 6 or 7 hundred lb machine.

Change the oil!!!!! and keep the airfiler clean and your S40 will be happy. Smiley

Do the seat mod found on this site!!!!

Old geezer with a 05 S40
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #3 - 05/08/08 at 11:12:10

Baldeagle, would like to see a pic of your bike if ya got one?  I've done most of what you've done and will be doing the rest over the summer.  Would like to see the finished product ... particular the light bar (which I didn't think was possible) and the gel seat.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #4 - 05/08/08 at 11:33:13

Most of the common mechanical problems encountered by Savage (LS650) owners are from model years before 2004.  

With the change to the S-40, there were a number of improvements in component design that reduces the frequency of most owner complaints.

The head leak and cam chain issues apply mostly to older Savages (2001 and before).  I have a 2004 with 34,209 miles on the clock and am still on the original cam chain and cam chain tensioner.  (at last check, my tensioner was out to 17mm. Still within service limits)

If you are looking at a newer S-40, then you should not expect any mechanical troubles.  If you're thinking of buying a 15 year old bike third or fourth hand, then yes, there are a few mechanical things to worry about.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Eydugstr
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/08/08 at 16:17:54

Thanks very much for the responses, everyone!  Very soon hope to be taking one for a test ride.  The model she is looking at is a 2006 with 1.3k miles. Cool

Can the backfiring be cured with just a jet kit, or does the exhaust have to be changed or modified as well?

What's the general opinion of the Suzuki aftermarket gel seats?  Is it cheaper to go the Sportster mod route?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 05/08/08 at 17:09:02

Eydugstr wrote on 05/08/08 at 16:17:54:
Can the backfiring be cured with just a jet kit, or does the exhaust have to be changed or modified as well?

Not sure really what a jet kit is - if you keep the stock pipe - maybe a 147.5 or 150 main - about half the needle spacer - pull the brass plug and adjust the mixture - done.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Questions about the S40/LS650

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.